Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Micro USB connector - long reach or no plastic boot - XPOST

Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

The tablet is the original model of the Sony Xperia Z 10" tablet. I bought
the charging cradle with it, which explains why I can still use it without
the micro USB socket working.

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

My search so far has not found anything but quite likely I am using the
wrong search terms.

Any pointers to a suitable product most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

The tablet is the original model of the Sony Xperia Z 10" tablet. I bought
the charging cradle with it, which explains why I can still use it without
the micro USB socket working.

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

I would just butcher a standard lead with a sharp knife or
file/grind off the extra plastic that stops it going into the
hole.

It's not as if micro-usb cables are expensive. Sure, it'll weaken
it but worth a shot.

Tim
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Most laptops ain't that difficult to strip down - you'll often find a
U-Tube on doing it for common models. At least then you could assess the
damage.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

[...]

I suggest cautious surgery to the plastic hood with a Stanley knife.
I've successfuly done that with an eSATA plug which wouldn't engage
properly. Suggest 1mm at a time and also parallel cuts to the axis to
avoid cutting too far in radially.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasnt* PCB mounted.

I would probably still try sacrificing a micro-USB cable/plug by trimming
it down.

Most laptops ain't that difficult to strip down - you'll often find a
U-Tube on doing it for common models. At least then you could assess the
damage.

Tablets rather more difficult I imagine. More glue, fewer screws. That
said, quite a few high street places advertise screen and other repairs for
tablets so it cant be *that* difficult.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep 2018 12:44:06 GMT, David wrote:

Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

snip

I guess that depends on the tablet and your skills? I replaced the
uUSB socket for a friend the other day on a 10" Samsung tablet and I'd
have to say it was pretty easy (and cheap).

On my old Archos tablet the socket was broken (the plastic insulator
bit) but it still worked if you were careful so I just glued (a couple
of drops of EvoStick either side) in a magnetic connector but then I
don't have it in a cradle.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/18 13:44, David wrote:
[...]

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+XP...lacement/31447
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn‘t* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped. At work we had talkback
receivers with the headphone connector mounted on the PCB. And of course
such things get dropped. Regularly. Eventually modified them to one with
flying leads to the PCB. At least those could be repaired more easily. ;-)

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 13:44, David wrote:

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

Sometimes paring away some of the plastic on the surround of the plug
can help achieve deeper penetration....

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In uk.comp.homebuilt David wrote:
I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

They do exist - for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Pre.../dp/B013CX6XO8
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Lon...e/192602929752

'extra long tip' seems to be the search term.

Theo

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Assuming of course that pushing the connector in has not actually completely
mangled its electronic connection, a friend did this on an old sat nav and
even with a crafted cable the socket was intermittent.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
David Wrote in message:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn€˜t* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped.

Looks like in this case the connector is on a daughter board assembly,
which makes replacement much easier. (see the photos on the iFixit page)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Chronos wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 09:02:58 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

And Amazon tablets are ridiculously cheap these days

They are, unfortunately, uniformly awful as they are a loss-leader to
sell you digital content.

That doesn't make sense! If they really are "a loss-leader" then it
means that they are worth more than you have to pay for them and are,
thus, far from "uniformly awful".

If you can avoid the Amazon content (which isn't particularly
difficult) then I believe the Amazon Fire tablets really *are* quite
good value. It's certainly what most reviews seem to say and our
personal experience (my wife has one) too.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

John Rumm wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn€˜t* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped.

Looks like in this case the connector is on a daughter board assembly,
which makes replacement much easier. (see the photos on the iFixit page)

I saw that. Nice touch.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:57:13 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the
PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn€˜t* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped.

Looks like in this case the connector is on a daughter board assembly,
which makes replacement much easier. (see the photos on the iFixit page)

Thanks.

One feature of the tablet is that it is water resistant (which is always a
bonus).
Nothing is said about what adhesive (if any) to use when reassembling.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+XP...Micro+USB+Port
+Replacement/31447

I may gently try a long reach connector first.

Battling with t'Internet to locate a replacement part which looks
identical to the iFixit one.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I would say there is no point.
The chances are the surface mounted socket has be pushed off the PCB.

That is unless its on a flexible PCB like some phones are.

If its been pushed off the PCB then plugging stuff into it could move
something and cause a short.

Do you need it as you have a charging dock?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the
PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn€˜t* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped.

Looks like in this case the connector is on a daughter board assembly,
which makes replacement much easier. (see the photos on the iFixit page)

Thanks.

One feature of the tablet is that it is water resistant (which is always a
bonus).
Nothing is said about what adhesive (if any) to use when reassembling.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+XP...Micro+USB+Port
+Replacement/31447

I may gently try a long reach connector first.

Battling with t'Internet to locate a replacement part which looks
identical to the iFixit one.

How about:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Sony-...UAAOSwMtxXuOqv

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2018 16:35, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Is it one of these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Xper...e/272315486383

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:38:00 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

[...]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Xper...-SGP312-SGP32-

Micro-USB-Charging-Port-Connector-Cable/272315486383

Could well be - I haven't had the courage to take the back off yet.

Main reason to fix is to be able to charge from a power bank without
carrying the cradle which is bulky.

Cheers

Dave R

---