Old September 16th 18, 02:44 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Micro USB connector - long reach or no plastic boot - XPOST

Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

The tablet is the original model of the Sony Xperia Z 10" tablet. I bought
the charging cradle with it, which explains why I can still use it without
the micro USB socket working.

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

My search so far has not found anything but quite likely I am using the
wrong search terms.

Any pointers to a suitable product most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Old September 16th 18, 03:01 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David Wrote in message:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

The tablet is the original model of the Sony Xperia Z 10" tablet. I bought
the charging cradle with it, which explains why I can still use it without
the micro USB socket working.

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

I would just butcher a standard lead with a sharp knife or
file/grind off the extra plastic that stops it going into the
hole.

It's not as if micro-usb cables are expensive. Sure, it'll weaken
it but worth a shot.

Tim
Old September 16th 18, 03:11 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Most laptops ain't that difficult to strip down - you'll often find a
U-Tube on doing it for common models. At least then you could assess the
damage.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 16th 18, 03:11 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

[...]

I suggest cautious surgery to the plastic hood with a Stanley knife.
I've successfuly done that with an eSATA plug which wouldn't engage
properly. Suggest 1mm at a time and also parallel cuts to the axis to
avoid cutting too far in radially.

--

Roger Hayter
Old September 16th 18, 03:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasn’t* PCB mounted.

I would probably still try sacrificing a micro-USB cable/plug by trimming
it down.

Most laptops ain't that difficult to strip down - you'll often find a
U-Tube on doing it for common models. At least then you could assess the
damage.

Tablets rather more difficult I imagine. More glue, fewer screws. That
said, quite a few high street places advertise screen and other repairs for
tablets so it can’t be *that* difficult.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Old September 16th 18, 03:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep 2018 12:44:06 GMT, David wrote:

Quite a while ago I dropped by tablet with a USB cable connected.
As far as I can tell it landed on the USB connector and pushed the USB
socket a bit further into the tablet and now a normal USB cable will not
connect.

I don't want to take the back off because the chance of doing permanent
damage outweighs the gain from restoring the USB connector.

snip

I guess that depends on the tablet and your skills? I replaced the
uUSB socket for a friend the other day on a 10" Samsung tablet and I'd
have to say it was pretty easy (and cheap).

On my old Archos tablet the socket was broken (the plastic insulator
bit) but it still worked if you were careful so I just glued (a couple
of drops of EvoStick either side) in a magnetic connector but then I
don't have it in a cradle.

Cheers, T i m
Old September 16th 18, 03:42 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+XP...lacement/31447
Old September 16th 18, 03:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.homebuilt

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I'd say it would depend on whether the connector has broken off the PCB.
Quite likely, I'd say.

Agreed. It would be an unusual one that *wasnt* PCB mounted.

Yup - sounds good but a PITA when dropped. At work we had talkback
receivers with the headphone connector mounted on the PCB. And of course
such things get dropped. Regularly. Eventually modified them to one with
flying leads to the PCB. At least those could be repaired more easily. ;-)

--
*IF ONE SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMER DROWNS, DO THE REST DROWN TOO?

Old September 16th 18, 05:00 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2018 13:44, David wrote:

I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

Sometimes paring away some of the plastic on the surround of the plug
can help achieve deeper penetration....

--
Cheers,

John.

Old September 16th 18, 07:05 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In uk.comp.homebuilt David wrote:
I was wondering if there was such a thing as a long reach connector, or a
connector without the plastic hood which usually keeps the connector from
being pushed too far into the socket.

They do exist - for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Proxicast-Pre.../dp/B013CX6XO8
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Extra-Lon...e/192602929752

'extra long tip' seems to be the search term.

Theo