UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 02:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 156
Default Knurling in a drill press?

I don't have a lathe or access to one, but I do have a drill press. Is it possible to do some knurling that way using a scissors knurler held in a drill press vice? Something like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Cl...IAAOSwYL9Z1SCi

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a safety razor handle.

  #2   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 03:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2015
Posts: 8,739
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On Sunday, 16 September 2018 13:12:58 UTC+1, Eusebius wrote:
I don't have a lathe or access to one, but I do have a drill press. Is it possible to do some knurling that way using a scissors knurler held in a drill press vice? Something like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Cl...IAAOSwYL9Z1SCi

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a safety razor handle.


I don't see a reason not to. I doubt I'd bother with the knurling.


NT
  #3   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,314
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 05:12:57 -0700, Eusebius wrote:

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a
safety razor handle.


It's gonna chew the copper to bits, isn't it? Due to the high speed, I
mean. You'd need to gear it down *massively* for that idea to stand any
chance of success.



--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.
  #4   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2017
Posts: 211
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On 16/09/2018 13:12, Eusebius wrote:
I don't have a lathe or access to one, but I do have a drill press. Is it possible to do some knurling that way using a scissors knurler held in a drill press vice? Something like this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Medium-Cl...IAAOSwYL9Z1SCi

Material would be copper rod, 12mm diameter. The idea is to make a safety razor handle.


The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that
side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket.
Also, I'd be surprised if a drill press will go slow enough for
knurling. How do you plan to get the controlled movement along the thing
you want to knurl?
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 04:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,314
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:21:29 +0100, nothanks wrote:

The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that
side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket.


I guess you could get around the severe radial loading by clamping the
knurling rollers 180' apart so the work piece is in the middle of them.
But the idea is a bit of a non-starter for other reasons.



--
This message may be freely reproduced without limit or charge only via
the Usenet protocol. Reproduction in whole or part through other
protocols, whether for profit or not, is conditional upon a charge of
GBP10.00 per reproduction. Publication in this manner via non-Usenet
protocols constitutes acceptance of this condition.


  #6   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 04:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 156
Default Knurling in a drill press?

Thanks for all the feedback so far. My drill press is a Rexon 200A. Trying to find instructions for it. Doesn't seem like it turns very fast.

My understanding is that if you use a scissors knurler it doesn't put any lateral pressure on the bearings - that happens when you use the other kind of knurler which pushes towards the part.

Is anybody familiar with using these scissors knurlers that are fairly cheap on eBay?
  #7   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,163
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On 16/09/2018 15:38, Eusebius wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback so far. My drill press is a Rexon 200A. Trying to find instructions for it. Doesn't seem like it turns very fast.

My understanding is that if you use a scissors knurler it doesn't put any lateral pressure on the bearings - that happens when you use the other kind of knurler which pushes towards the part...


This is the only type of knurler that doesn't produce any lateral force:

http://www.accu-trak.com/holders_3die.html


--
--

Colin Bignell
  #8   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 156
Default Knurling in a drill press?

This is the only type of knurler that doesn't produce any lateral force:

http://www.accu-trak.com/holders_3die.html
Colin Bignell


Thanks. It's still true though that the scissors type is preferable? It's supposed to be aligned directly above the part.
  #9   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 08:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,720
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:38:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:21:29 +0100, nothanks wrote:

The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that
side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket.


I guess you could get around the severe radial loading by clamping the
knurling rollers 180' apart so the work piece is in the middle of them.


No 'work around' needed as I think you will find that's the point of
the knurling tool the OP referenced in his first post.

But the idea is a bit of a non-starter for other reasons.


It is?

He's knurling brass and so as long as he is happy to make sure
everything is well lubricated and in one place and the drill on it's
slowest speed I see no reason why it wouldn't work (if not ideal).

Cheers, T i m
  #10   Report Post  
Old September 16th 18, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,163
Default Knurling in a drill press?

On 16/09/2018 19:23, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 14:38:07 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:21:29 +0100, nothanks wrote:

The problem with doing much more than drilling in a drill press is that
side load on the morse taper will make the chuck walk out of the socket.


I guess you could get around the severe radial loading by clamping the
knurling rollers 180' apart so the work piece is in the middle of them.


No 'work around' needed as I think you will find that's the point of
the knurling tool the OP referenced in his first post....


They are normally used with the wheels about 120 degrees apart.


--
--

Colin Bignell


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA - press that would be useful as a pen press or an embossing press Bill Noble[_2_] Woodturning 1 July 6th 09 03:59 AM
drill bit,drill rod,core barrel,core drilling tools, drill tube, DTH hammer and bit, drag bit, thread bit, taper bit,taper rod,integral drill rod,drill steel, button bit, shank adapter,extension rod, speed rod, rock drill, handheld ,pneumatic, motor- [email protected] Home Ownership 0 September 19th 06 04:57 AM
Portable drill press/guide vs. Real drill press? blueman Woodworking 9 September 8th 06 06:32 PM
Need knurling information DE Metalworking 3 February 16th 05 12:52 PM
Eagle Rock Knurling Tool from Enco Mike Henry Metalworking 7 February 12th 05 06:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017