Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable, pipe, stud finder - recommendations?

Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

Cheers

dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2018 15:01, David wrote:
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

I've have a Plas Plugs one, simply called a stud finder and not claimed
to do pipes/wires etc, for years (20 if not more).

While it isn't claimed it finds pipes or wires, I've used it for both.
I've even used it to find wood blocks behind a metal skin on our motorhome.

--
https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

Cheers

every one I have bought hasn't worked very well ... but I am a cheapskate
and buy junk.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimbo at the Trailer park ... wrote:

every one I have bought hasn't worked very well

I have a cheapo stanley one, not very good

I also have a blue bosch one, with dedicated metal/wood/electric modes
and still overall not very good, it manages false positives and false
negatives :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 29 August 2018 15:01:45 UTC+1, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

Cheers

dave R

I made one with CMOS gates, works very well at finding live wires. Doesn't do anything else. A metal detector would do the rest presumably.

Not tried it but I see you get get mobile apps that pick up the mag field from mains wires carrying current, don't know how useful they are.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2018 15:01, David wrote:
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

Cheers

dave R

I have an old basic B&D pipe/cable detector which just has a sensitivity
control - it reliably detects metal in walls , I trust it and to me its
an essential tool.
I also have a Zircon Multiscanner Pro with settings for studs, deepscan
,metal and AC - its unreliable and I never trust it by itself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

I've had reasonable success with a Zircon one, possibly this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zircon-Stud...dp/B003IQJULS/
- it's a curvy shape like a mouse, but I don't remember the 'Deep Scan'
switch.

It found studs behind plasterboard and tiles, and cables were easy. No idea
about pipes (but if they're metal it shouldn't be too hard).

You have to calibrate it right, which might be the problem with people
reviewing it.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2018 15:01, David wrote:
Looking at the moment and as usual Amazon has a mix of 1* (doesn't worj)
and 5* (want to have its' kids) reviews so not much help there.

Are they all of a muchness or should I go for a known name?

For finding the nails in lath and plaster walls or screws in skimmed
plaster board walls and hence the studs I've found the Zircon M40 metal
detector to be very effective and much better than cheap stud finders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwmAME_Vw_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuQwO6fGuU

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2018 08:31, wrote:
Personally, I've had a few over some time. The worst tool was a cheap Stanley one which constantly thought there were studs everywhere, even when away from the wall. The best one Bosch GMS120 Digital Multi-Scanner (find a review on it here
https://studfinderexpert.com/bosch-gms120/). Btw, it's on sale now.

I have an (old) PlasPlugs stud finder one which I've found remarkably
good. While it wasn't sold as a cable finder, it does find them. I don't
recall using it for pipes but I would be surprised if it didn't work.

I've even used it on my motorhome to confirm where the 'strong points'
to mount thing on the rear are- it worked through the thin metal skin.

The trick is to use the calibrate function correctly.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.

Electronic stud/cable finder - budget David UK diy 7 April 5th 18 03:45 PM
Edge finder/ Center finder question Roger Shoaf Metalworking 9 June 8th 08 06:22 PM
stud and cable finder asalcedo UK diy 5 August 1st 06 02:14 PM
Stud finder? Tim Lamb UK diy 4 May 15th 05 10:08 PM
I lost my stud finder John Harlow Home Repair 6 April 9th 05 05:41 PM