Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very fine hose clips?

Hi all,

I have used some very fine, stainless steel, Jubilee style 'worm drive
hose clamp' on smaller hoses (~10mm OD) but can't seem to find them
again? ;-(

I have access to plenty of different type of hose clamp but most have
large flanges and / or bolts sticking out and are much heavier (in
construction) than would be needed for this role (motorcycle fuel
hoses). Std clips are about 9mm wide, what I am looking for were more
like 3-4 mm?

The bike typically came with the little wire clip with overlapping
loops at the ends but they don't hold quite as well as a more positive
acting clip and they do need to be removed now and again.

Any pointers to where I can get the smaller Jubilee style clips /
clamps please ... or an effective alternative?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Any pointers to where I can get the smaller Jubilee style clips /
clamps please

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk/stainless-14--38-fuel--water-line-micro-jubilee-clips.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk/stainless-14--38-fuel--water-line-micro-jubilee-clips.html

which are probably "Oetiker Mini R+S" clamps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 22:34:35 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk/stainless-14--38-fuel--water-line-micro-jubilee-clips.html

which are probably "Oetiker Mini R+S" clamps

Thanks for those Andy, they do look like the sort of thing I'm talking
about. ;-)

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk...06098_orig.jpg

The largest they do is 3/8" (9.5mm) and *might* be big enough for our
needs.

Oetiker do do a few around that size so if the 3/8" isn't big enough
we should be able to get a bigger size and at 5mm wide and .4mm thick,
should be much better than the std offerings. ;-)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yajwkmem

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk/stainless-14--38-fuel--water-line-micro-jubilee-clips.html

which are probably "Oetiker Mini R+S" clamps

Thanks for those Andy, they do look like the sort of thing I'm talking
about. ;-)

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk...06098_orig.jpg

The largest they do is 3/8" (9.5mm) and *might* be big enough for our
needs.

Oetiker do do a few around that size so if the 3/8" isn't big enough
we should be able to get a bigger size and at 5mm wide and .4mm thick,
should be much better than the std offerings. ;-)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yajwkmem

Cheers, T i m

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk/stainless-14--38-fuel--water-line-micro-jubilee-clips.html

which are probably "Oetiker Mini R+S" clamps

Thanks for those Andy, they do look like the sort of thing I'm talking
about. ;-)

http://www.freerideinnovations.co.uk...06098_orig.jpg

The largest they do is 3/8" (9.5mm) and *might* be big enough for our
needs.

Oetiker do do a few around that size so if the 3/8" isn't big enough
we should be able to get a bigger size and at 5mm wide and .4mm thick,
should be much better than the std offerings. ;-)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yajwkmem

Cheers, T i m

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Not so fond of those - difficult to fit and remove without special
pliers, just one 'tightness', and the hose needs to be removed to fit.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

Hi all,

I have used some very fine, stainless steel, Jubilee style 'worm drive
hose clamp' on smaller hoses (~10mm OD) but can't seem to find them
again? ;-(

I have access to plenty of different type of hose clamp but most have
large flanges and / or bolts sticking out and are much heavier (in
construction) than would be needed for this role (motorcycle fuel
hoses). Std clips are about 9mm wide, what I am looking for were more
like 3-4 mm?

The bike typically came with the little wire clip with overlapping
loops at the ends but they don't hold quite as well as a more positive
acting clip and they do need to be removed now and again.

Any pointers to where I can get the smaller Jubilee style clips /
clamps please ... or an effective alternative?

Cheers, T i m

Here is a handy tool for making hose clips to any size. Although
commercially available, it's actually quite easy to make the tool:

http://www.clamptool.com/index.html

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:04:49 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Yeah, for some reason they already have those on the cooling system
but not on the fuel (or vacuum)?

And I quite like them as my Leatherman pliers can open them easily,
unlike the little loop ended clips.

I might get a quantity of the smaller sizes of those and give them a
go (I've got one of those remote fuel tanks you hang up like a saline
drip and that came with some wire screw clamps that are not only ugly
but do catch your skin and get hung up on stuff easily (so weren't
used). Even a couple of thin cable-ties wrapped twice round the pipe
are better than those sort of things (and easier to release than the O
/ 'ear' clips).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 08:34:47 +0100, RJH wrote:

snip

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Not so fond of those

I think they can have their place.

- difficult to fit and remove without special
pliers,

Agreed, but I think that may be a function of the size of the clip.
The smaller (~10mm ID) are easily handled with my Leatherman (PSTII so
a 'needle nose' pliers), whereas I agree the bigger sizes can be quite
a mouthful for ordinary pliers (so I often have to use long nose Mole
grips, *if* I can get to the clip from the side).

just one 'tightness',

Good point.

and the hose needs to be removed to fit.

Another good 'con' (although in this scenario not a problem as we
would be 'fitting' the hoses in the first place etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 08:45:10 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Any pointers to where I can get the smaller Jubilee style clips /
clamps please ... or an effective alternative?

Cheers, T i m

Here is a handy tool for making hose clips to any size. Although
commercially available, it's actually quite easy to make the tool:

http://www.clamptool.com/index.html

Thanks for that Andrew, that's a different approach.

Spookily, a couple of rolls off ss 'safety wire' they use for security
wiring nuts and bolts on racing machines arrived here yesterday
morning with that sort of use in mind (although more with the lose
ends twisted together to give the tension and locking and then folded
flat once done). ;-)

I have previously (and very successfully) used fairly fine wire (often
bright tinned copper) for retaining small hoses on the things like RC
boat cooling and fuel hoses and in emergencies on other hoses.

(This sort of technique but with more turns at the end).
http://www.clamptool.com/pages/single.html

In fact, I bought the wire to do exactly as the tool you linked to
provides on the rubber hose that connects to my remote fuel tank and
was going to cover that with some self gluing heat shrink, but even at
..7mm I think it's a bit too heavy *for that diameter of hose*).

As you say, shouldn't be too tricky to make ...

This looks like the ideal usage of the tool, even though it starts off
looking a bit like 'a cat's cradle'. ;-)

http://www.clamptool.com/pages/double.html

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m used his keyboard to write :
or an effective alternative?

I now use a gadget which uses any sort of wire which is suitable for
the job. You put a double loop of your chosen wire round the object,
the gadget then tightens the loop and once sufficiently tight, you
simply fold the wire over and cut it off. It is a single use system, so
needs to be repeated with fresh wire each time it is disturbed. You
don't need to keep various sizes of clip, just various OD / types of
wire.

Much more secure than a Jubilee or other type of clip and can be made
to be much tighter than a normal clip. There are various designs of the
DIY gadget on Youtube, plus a ready made one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 18/08/2018, Andrew Mawson supposed :
Here is a handy tool for making hose clips to any size. Although commercially
available, it's actually quite easy to make the tool:

http://www.clamptool.com/index.html

That is the tool/method I had in mind. I made one of a similar design
to that. It is now the only type of clip I use, instead of both the
Jubilee and the over-lapping screw tightened camp. Both of the latter
tend to bunch up the pipe at one point, so it leaks and often the
Jubilee threads strip.

A bit of fabric tape sometimes to reinforce the pipe, plus a bit of
wire and the tool are all that is needed, to get a joint as tight as
you like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m pretended :
Spookily, a couple of rolls off ss 'safety wire' they use for security
wiring nuts and bolts on racing machines arrived here yesterday
morning with that sort of use in mind (although more with the lose
ends twisted together to give the tension and locking and then folded
flat once done). ;-)

Not even nearly as effective as the above mentioned tool for the wire
tightening without damage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:04:49 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Yeah, for some reason they already have those on the cooling system
but not on the fuel (or vacuum)?

And I quite like them as my Leatherman pliers can open them easily,
unlike the little loop ended clips.

I might get a quantity of the smaller sizes of those and give them a
go (I've got one of those remote fuel tanks you hang up like a saline
drip and that came with some wire screw clamps that are not only ugly
but do catch your skin and get hung up on stuff easily (so weren't
used). Even a couple of thin cable-ties wrapped twice round the pipe
are better than those sort of things (and easier to release than the O
/ 'ear' clips).

Cheers, T i m

They fit well on my fuel hose,( no one said, what, 10)
Tank, two tees one each side, (equalizer) carbie.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 10:50:13 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m used his keyboard to write :
or an effective alternative?

I now use a gadget which uses any sort of wire which is suitable for
the job. You put a double loop of your chosen wire round the object,
the gadget then tightens the loop and once sufficiently tight, you
simply fold the wire over and cut it off. It is a single use system, so
needs to be repeated with fresh wire each time it is disturbed. You
don't need to keep various sizes of clip, just various OD / types of
wire.

Did you buy it or make it OOI Harry?

Much more secure than a Jubilee or other type of clip and can be made
to be much tighter than a normal clip.

Yeah, they seem quite versatile.

There are various designs of the
DIY gadget on Youtube,

This looks one of the most simple and may be better suited to the
smaller hoses I am talking about here.

plus a ready made one.

Yeah, I think that's the one Andrew linked to elsewhere, the
'Clamptite'?

For the size of these hoses (10mm OD) and on fairly soft rubber, I
think I could make a sufficiently good job using some pliers.

Basically, you just need to apply enough grip by any clamp to press
the inner face of the hose over the grooves / humps on the male pipe
connector and that should be enough to stop the hose from being easily
pulled off. The seal is made by the tight fit of the hose over the
tap / tank outlet.

To do that I think the key would be the right gauge of (ideally ss)
wire. It needs to be thin / flexible enough to follow the
circumference of the hose easily but yet stiff enough to maintain the
'hooks' under tension.

I used to use the '2 - 3 turns of wire round a hose and then twist the
two ends together' technique on smaller / typically silicone fuel /
water-cooling hoses on RC boats and generally used some bright tinned
copper wire I used for making links on PCB's and the like?

It wasn't very 'strong' in a single part but wound just enough turns
round the hose pre twisting gave quite a bit of mechanical advantage
and then practice determined how tight you could / needed to twist the
ends together before it snapped. In practice it was more like bundling
something up with string with a Spanish windlass providing the 'knot'.
;-)

I think for hoses under any sort of positive pressure you need at
least one *complete* turn round the hose (so two turns in total) to
avoid the 'hump' you typically get as the loop sits up on the other
part of the wire.

Whilst this sort of solution would be good for the hose ends that
generally stay put but on this bike you have to take the tank off to
do many things (like access the spark plugs or even top up the
coolant) and to do that you have to disconnect the hoses from one end
or the other (tank or remote tap). The tank end has reasonable access
(once the tank is off) but the tap end is pretty cramped, with 4 hoses
coming in from 3 directions (Main, Reserve, Out and vacuum).

Hence the need for something easy to (repeatedly) apply and release
and the right 'scale' for these fairly small hoses.

I can remember seeing the micro Jubilee clips on a fuel hose years ago
(and I was impressed with them at the time) but it may have been on my
Morris Minor van! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 11:02:24 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m pretended :
Spookily, a couple of rolls off ss 'safety wire' they use for security
wiring nuts and bolts on racing machines arrived here yesterday
morning with that sort of use in mind (although more with the lose
ends twisted together to give the tension and locking and then folded
flat once done). ;-)

Not even nearly as effective as the above mentioned tool for the wire
tightening without damage.

No, you are probably right and depending on the scale.

eg, Once down to a small enough gauge the wire wouldn't be strong
enough to form a secure anchor but would when twisted together 10
times.

In fact, doing that I've actually cut the hose off like a garrotte!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Can you not fit cone ended couplings to the tank, so that the barb and one
part of the fitting comes off leaving the other part on the tank. 1/4" BSP
male / female coupler should do it.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 20:05:14 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:04:49 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

I used 10 of these to replace the ones on my motor bike.
https://www.ebay.com.au/i/232889642327?chn=ps

Yeah, for some reason they already have those on the cooling system
but not on the fuel (or vacuum)?

And I quite like them as my Leatherman pliers can open them easily,
unlike the little loop ended clips.

I might get a quantity of the smaller sizes of those and give them a
go (I've got one of those remote fuel tanks you hang up like a saline
drip and that came with some wire screw clamps that are not only ugly
but do catch your skin and get hung up on stuff easily (so weren't
used). Even a couple of thin cable-ties wrapped twice round the pipe
are better than those sort of things (and easier to release than the O
/ 'ear' clips).

They fit well on my fuel hose,( no one said, what, 10)

I imagined the range. ;-)

Tank, two tees one each side, (equalizer) carbie.

On this (Kawasaki ER-5 A1) it's two fuel hoses from tank to tap, out
of tap to fuel filter, out of filter to carbs (T'd off on the carb in
rigid). Two equaliser hoses to T and T out to air. Numerous coolant
hoses, inc 2 to expansion tank and main hoses plus the manifold to
vacuum operated fuel tap.

In fact the whole thing is a plumbers nightmare! ;-(

Apart from the YP250 scooter, all my bikes are air cooled and much,
much simpler. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:04:49 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

[...]

So is mine,2 cylinders, still has 10 hose clips on fuel lines
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 11:00:23 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 18/08/2018, Andrew Mawson supposed :
Here is a handy tool for making hose clips to any size. Although commercially
available, it's actually quite easy to make the tool:

http://www.clamptool.com/index.html

That is the tool/method I had in mind. I made one of a similar design
to that. It is now the only type of clip I use, instead of both the
Jubilee and the over-lapping screw tightened camp. Both of the latter
tend to bunch up the pipe at one point, so it leaks and often the
Jubilee threads strip.

I believe that was a problem with the inlet manifold rubbers on this
bike and older / less supple rubbers. The (tin) clamps did have an
overlap but didn't seem to clamp and seal the older rubbers (as you
said).

A bit of fabric tape sometimes to reinforce the pipe,

I've seen that done with Jubilee clips etc.

plus a bit of
wire

Or several gauges of wire, depending on the rage of jobs you are
covering?

and the tool are all that is needed, to get a joint as tight as
you like.

But no so handy in the field if you have to release and re connect a
joint (without the tool and some wire ... ok in a car, not so
convenient on a motorbike).

And then you have access. You can fit a Jubilee clip to a hose and
push the hose in place and then only need to be able to get a driver
of some sort in to be able to do it up (if you do it up slightly
before fitting and use a hex driver you don't even need to hold it
still).

Horses for courses?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 21:30:33 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

On this (Kawasaki ER-5 A1) it's two fuel hoses from tank to tap, out
of tap to fuel filter, out of filter to carbs (T'd off on the carb in
rigid). Two equaliser hoses to T and T out to air. Numerous coolant
hoses, inc 2 to expansion tank and main hoses plus the manifold to
vacuum operated fuel tap.

In fact the whole thing is a plumbers nightmare! ;-(

So is mine,2 cylinders, still has 10 hose clips on fuel lines

Yeah, the ER-5 is only a twin as well.

My little CB 250 (Nighthawk) twin is only a single carb jobby so just
4 clips (with filter). ;-)

Plus, you don't have to disturb any of it to check the plugs. rolls
eyes

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 12:20:35 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Whilst this sort of solution would be good for the hose ends that
generally stay put but on this bike you have to take the tank off to
do many things (like access the spark plugs or even top up the
coolant) and to do that you have to disconnect the hoses from one end
or the other (tank or remote tap). The tank end has reasonable access
(once the tank is off) but the tap end is pretty cramped, with 4 hoses
coming in from 3 directions (Main, Reserve, Out and vacuum).

Hence the need for something easy to (repeatedly) apply and release
and the right 'scale' for these fairly small hoses.

Can you not fit cone ended couplings to the tank, so that the barb and one
part of the fitting comes off leaving the other part on the tank. 1/4" BSP
male / female coupler should do it.

That would sound ideal Andrew, other than:

1) The fittings that bolt into the tank also carry the fuel filters.

2) They would have to be self sealing or you would still have to drain
the tank down to do any such work.

3) The reserve tank outlet is pretty low and the hose then has to go
off via a channel moulded into the airbox to get to the tap.

Because the main outlet from the tank has quite a bit of space under /
around it I did consider some sort of inline QR coupling, but there
wouldn't be any advantage if we can't do something similar with the
reserve. ;-(

The only other solution would be to re-route the reserve outlet back
under the tank using a rigid hose (thinner) and then to a QR coupling?

Basically you need to be able to release the tank and move it back and
up sufficiently to be able to get to any coupling etc. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m brought next idea :
Did you buy it or make it OOI Harry?

I made it, partially on the lathe, a tapered nose, then steel tube and
threaded rod. Copied from the photo of the commercial version.

There is a much less intricate version to DIY, which I intend to build
and test. A problem I noted with mine, was that it was difficult to get
it to hold the two wire ends tightly enough. They tend to slip once you
begin tightening with the screw. It does need around 45 degrees of
freedom of axial rotation around the pipe, to finally lock the wire
tension once tight, so you need to allow for that when you begin the
tightening stage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 13:40:11 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

T i m brought next idea :
Did you buy it or make it OOI Harry?

I made it, partially on the lathe, a tapered nose, then steel tube and
threaded rod. Copied from the photo of the commercial version.

Yeah, I think their budget models are made like that.

There is a much less intricate version to DIY, which I intend to build
and test.

Which one, OOI?

A problem I noted with mine, was that it was difficult to get
it to hold the two wire ends tightly enough.

On most of the videos they take a couple of turns round the rear
crosspin and then twist the two ends together over the top of the
tool? (You know, the twisting I mentioned I do on the finer wire /
hoses that can get it all *very* tight). ;-)

They tend to slip once you
begin tightening with the screw.

I saw one where they actually wound up the loose ends as part of the
tensioning process.

It does need around 45 degrees of
freedom of axial rotation around the pipe, to finally lock the wire
tension once tight, so you need to allow for that when you begin the
tightening stage.

And why it would be lees practical as a solution for even the
permanent ends on this particular bike.

I can see how / why it would be good to have one of the tools 'in
general' though, especially for those times when you don't have
anything else available or where it would suit better (eg, where you
want a more slimline solution).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 21:30:33 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:

snip

On this (Kawasaki ER-5 A1) it's two fuel hoses from tank to tap, out
of tap to fuel filter, out of filter to carbs (T'd off on the carb in
rigid). Two equaliser hoses to T and T out to air. Numerous coolant
hoses, inc 2 to expansion tank and main hoses plus the manifold to
vacuum operated fuel tap.

In fact the whole thing is a plumbers nightmare! ;-(

So is mine,2 cylinders, still has 10 hose clips on fuel lines

Yeah, the ER-5 is only a twin as well.

My little CB 250 (Nighthawk) twin is only a single carb jobby so just
4 clips (with filter). ;-)

Plus, you don't have to disturb any of it to check the plugs. rolls
eyes

Cheers, T i m

Ancient R100 ex police 1982, it now has historical plates which mean
about $40 odd rego PA or something near (NSW Australia)instead of $300
or $400.00 or so but you are limited to club rides and 60 more days if
you have logbook system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 15:11:45 +1000, FMurtz
wrote:
snip

Ancient R100 ex police 1982, it now has historical plates which mean
about $40 odd rego PA or something near (NSW Australia)instead of $300
or $400.00 or so but you are limited to club rides and 60 more days if
you have logbook system.

The kitcar is nearly 40 years old soon so that (rego equiv) goes down
from ~£160 or so to £0 pa.

Given it probably did 5 miles last year ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m