Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal cable clips

What sort are you using to meet the 18th edn requirement? There seems to be close to nothing on ebay, & screwsatan et al are charging high prices for what are little more than strips of coke can.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 16:45:40 UTC+1, wrote:
What sort are you using to meet the 18th edn requirement? There seems to be close to nothing on ebay, & screwsatan et al are charging high prices for what are little more than strips of coke can.

NT

Google:- buckle cable clips.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 18:08:23 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 August 2018 16:45:40 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
What sort are you using to meet the 18th edn requirement? There seems to be close to nothing on ebay, & screwsatan et al are charging high prices for what are little more than strips of coke can.

NT

Google:- buckle cable clips.

same high prices

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 16:57:53 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
tabbypurr:

What sort are you using to meet the 18th edn requirement?

Maybe more will be available by the time it goes live next January?

that seems fairly obvious
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thursday, 16 August 2018 18:08:23 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 16 August 2018 16:45:40 UTC+1, tabby wrote:
What sort are you using to meet the 18th edn requirement? There seems
to be close to nothing on ebay, & screwsatan et al are charging high
prices for what are little more than strips of coke can.

NT

Google:- buckle cable clips.

same high prices

When I learned about electrical installation, all there were were metal
buckles and then came these plastic clips. ;-)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to current plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of course most metals do melt at some point)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic Wrote in message:
Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to current plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of course most metals do melt at some point)

Asbestos' finest hour beckons....
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 08:34:48 UTC+1, Cynic wrote:

Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to current plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of course most metals do melt at some point)

I've always wondered if a bit of metal could be embedded in the current design of plastic clip. I'd forgotten about the sore fingers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 10:34:59 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 17/08/2018 10:17, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/08/18 10:02, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 08:34:48 UTC+1, CynicÂ* wrote:

Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely
some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to current
plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of course most
metals do melt at some point)

I've always wondered if a bit of metal could be embedded in the
current design of plastic clip. I'd forgotten about the sore fingers.

NT

It would be very easy to make a retrofit u-sleeve that fitted over the
top of a standard plastic clip and which the same nail held in place.
Plastic protects cable from sharpish metal edge. Old clips can be used
up. New clips can be sold with metal in place.

Possibly:

a. the time cost of removing the nail, fitting the sleeve and then
replacing the nail would exceed the saving for pros, and pros dominate
the market? plus

b. there's little or no profit to be made in of developing, certifying
and marketing a product which has only a limited life (and double and
redouble that if you are an existing manufacturer of cable clips as any
sales of the add-on displace sales of new fire-rated clips)?

But if you think there's a market for your product then go for it: we
need profitable entrepreneurs!

and you can't reinsert nails unless you glue them in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2018 10:38, wrote:

and you can't reinsert nails unless you glue them in.

Cite, please?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/08/2018 10:38, wrote:

and you can't reinsert nails unless you glue them in.

Cite, please?

It isnt a legal requirement, just basic physics, so no cite required. Try
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 11:20:32 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 17/08/2018 11:12, Rod Speed wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/08/2018 10:48, Rod Speed wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/08/2018 10:38, tabbypurr wrote:

and you can't reinsert nails unless you glue them in.

Cite, please?

It isnt a legal requirement, just basic physics, so no cite required.
Try it.

This is about reinserting the nails in the plastic cable clip, not in
the original hole.

I cannot see why anyone would envisage reinserting a nail in the same
hole when (a) the new requirement is not retrospective and (b) a cable
clip can in any event be moved fractionally to use a new hole

That isnt reinserting, thats a new hole.

If it's not "reinserting" the nail in the plastic cable clip then what
gerund do you recommend be used instead?

lol. Usenet!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/18 10:02, wrote:
On Friday, 17 August 2018 08:34:48 UTC+1, CynicÂ* wrote:

Memories of sore fingers and thumbs using metal buckle clips. Surely
some enterprising soul will create a one nail clip similar to
current plastic ones but which doesn't melt in a fire. (Except of
course most metals do melt at some point)

I've always wondered if a bit of metal could be embedded in the
current design of plastic clip. I'd forgotten about the sore fingers.

NT

It would be very easy to make a retrofit u-sleeve that fitted over the
top of a standard plastic clip and which the same nail held in place.
Plastic protects cable from sharpish metal edge. Old clips can be used
up. New clips can be sold with metal in place.

Possibly:

a.Â*Â*Â* the time cost of removing the nail, fitting the sleeve and then
replacing the nail would exceed the saving for pros, and pros dominate
the market? plus

b.Â*Â*Â* there's little or no profit to be made in of developing,
certifying and marketing a product which has only a limited life (and
double and redouble that if you are an existing manufacturer of cable
clips as any sales of the add-on displace sales of new fire-rated clips)?

Maybe on the retro fit I'd agree.

But a) are you telling me cable clips are certified? I'd be surprised.

b) It would be a minor adaption to an existing product that for new
production makes sense.

But if you think there's a market for your product then go for it: we
need profitable entrepreneurs!

I don't "do* being an entrepreneur I'd be crap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/18 10:02, wrote:
[...]

My mistake. I misremembered the BS for fire alarms.

b) It would be a minor adaption to an existing product that for new
production makes sense.

But if you think there's a market for your product then go for it: we
need profitable entrepreneurs!

I don't "do* being an entrepreneur I'd be crap.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 05:32:16 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

This is about reinserting the nails in the plastic cable clip, not in
the original hole.

I cannot see why anyone would envisage reinserting a nail in the same
hole when (a) the new requirement is not retrospective and (b) a cable
clip can in any event be moved fractionally to use a new hole

That isnt reinserting, that¢s a new hole.

If it's not "reinserting" the nail in the plastic cable clip then what
gerund do you recommend be used instead?

Either a new hole close to the old one or use some glue if reusing the old
hole.

snicker

https://thetravellingtiles.files.wor...b6f9820001.jpg

--