Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

Default VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

In a few years time, maybe, but at the moment most phones are just that,
phones and you need a little dongle supplied by the voip company. Some Voip
companies may well sell you a telephone like you need but I'm not sure they
can work universally, ie not tied to a provider.
brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/18 16:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

I agree. When I wanted a Skype phone some years ago I found it was
cheaper and more versatile to buy a cheap smartphone (Moto E, since you
asked) and run it without a sim card.

To the OP: is there anything unusual about the VoIP service you want to use?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 16:38:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

One option would be to use a DECT VoIP handset and base unit together
with a WiFi client. The WiFi client would be connected to the base unit
with an ethernet cable. DECT usually has much better range than WiFi
and is better at working around interference as it has dynamic frequency
hopping.
Another option would be to use a desktop VoIP phone with a WiFi dongle
plugged into it. Some SNOM phones have this capability, but care is
needed to choose a dongle using a supported chipset as the SNOM phones
do not have drivers for all chipsets.

John

Posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well. Whilst that
sort of thing hasn't been known to stop marketing departments, do you
really want to encourage them?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2018 17:49, wrote:
[...]

Failing that, most WiFi access points can be configured to act in client
mode thus providing an ethernet to WiFi bridge - so will get a wired
voip phone onto wifi.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Almost all mobile phones can be used like that.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Ditto.

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

In a few years time, maybe, but at the moment most phones are just that,
phones and you need a little dongle supplied by the voip company.

No you don’t with what you call a dongle.

Some Voip companies may well sell you a telephone like you need but I'm
not sure they can work universally, ie not tied to a provider.

There are plenty of voip phones sold by operations
like Siemens, but not many that connect using wifi.

But almost all mobile phones will do voip over wifi.

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

--
Its easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
We'd certainly miss the intercom & call-transfer facilities on DECT
phones. Can they be replicated using wifi on PAYG Smart phones?

Not natively. You can do it on the VOIP side, but it needs some support
from your service provider - essentially you have multiple extensions all
with different VOIP logins. Alternatively you could run your own PABX using
something like Asterisk, and the service provider is your upstream from
there.

Theo
Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

In article , Nick Odell nick@themusicworksh
op.plus.com scribeth thus
On 14/08/18 16:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

I agree. When I wanted a Skype phone some years ago I found it was
cheaper and more versatile to buy a cheap smartphone (Moto E, since you
asked) and run it without a sim card.

To the OP: is there anything unusual about the VoIP service you want to use?

Nick

No not at all a quite standard VoIP setup. The idea of using an app on a
smart mobile phone sounds just what we need thanks to all who suggested
that!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

Not if you're not using Apple crap.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/18 23:34, tony sayer wrote:

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4 mini.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2018 18:13, David Woolley wrote:
On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well.

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

I have a client site where they run data and VoIP between two offices on
either side of a road. They are connected with a pair of directional
WiFi bridges, and IME you can't tell the difference in voice quality
when talking to someone in the office with the incoming ISDN lines
directly, or via the WiFi to the VoIP phones across the road.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically
reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for
real time voice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:54:18 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4
mini.

Or Zoiper (free, no ads) with Sipgate on any WiFi enabled Android
device. Assuming the WiFi has access to the 'net of course. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2018 23:04, Theo wrote:
Robin wrote:
We'd certainly miss the intercom & call-transfer facilities on DECT
phones. Can they be replicated using wifi on PAYG Smart phones?

Not natively. You can do it on the VOIP side, but it needs some support
from your service provider - essentially you have multiple extensions all
with different VOIP logins. Alternatively you could run your own PABX using
something like Asterisk, and the service provider is your upstream from
there.

Thanks. I have rejected the option of running my own PABX bearing in
mind the probability of my mental decay and pre-deceasing 'er indoors.
I'll look again at VOIP providers with that in mind.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can do
"ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is unlikely
to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically reported
by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for real time
voice.

Works fine for me and I do it a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018 10:54:38 +0100, Robin wrote:

We'd certainly miss the intercom & call-transfer facilities on

DECT
phones. Can they be replicated using wifi on PAYG Smart phones?

Not natively. You can do it on the VOIP side, but it needs some
support from your service provider - essentially you have multiple

extensions all with different VOIP logins.

Thanks. I have rejected the option of running my own PABX bearing in
mind the probability of my mental decay and pre-deceasing 'er indoors.
I'll look again at VOIP providers with that in mind.

Or get a VOIP capable DECT base station and DECT handsets. Such as
the Gigaset N300 IP. That can handle 6 VOIP accounts and a POTS line.
That's what we have and works well. Wired ethernet to the base
station, currently three DECT handsets wirelessly conected to that.
You can select which handset(s) ring for a given incoming VOIP call
and have different ringtones. Normal DECT paging and intercom
facilties of course.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2018 14:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Thanks, those do indeed look like a good fit.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 10:15:21 UTC+1, David Woolley wrote:
It is empirically reported by people who have tried it that Wifi
doesn't work well for real time voice.

On the other hand, I used nothing else for a year. Zoiper/Android/Sipgate.

It was more sensitive to distance-from-the-router (and possibly closer-to-other-routers as a result) than ordinary browsing but provided I didn't walk about too much it was perfectly usable.

It does not work nicely over shopping centre free wifi though :-(

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 15/08/2018 14:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Or get a VOIP capable DECT base station and DECT handsets. Such as
the Gigaset N300 IP. That can handle 6 VOIP accounts and a POTS line.
That's what we have and works well. Wired ethernet to the base
station, currently three DECT handsets wirelessly conected to that.
You can select which handset(s) ring for a given incoming VOIP call
and have different ringtones. Normal DECT paging and intercom
facilties of course.

Thanks, those do indeed look like a good fit.

I was assuming you have an existing DECT setup - if you just want to go VOIP
you can either do the above, or keep your existing DECT system (since third-party
handsets on a base from a different manufacturer will work but only provide the bare
minimum of features) and put an ATA in front so it plugs into ethernet (or
wifi) not the PSTN.

If you want to use smartphones then you get the VOIP features but not the
DECT features, and replicating the DECT features with VOIP requires someone
to implement PABX functions (which some ISPs do).

Theo
Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2018 10:15, David Woolley wrote:
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time.Â* The latency is waiting for that clear air time.Â* Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them.Â* They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory.Â* It is empirically
reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for
real time voice.

I also gave an empirical example - three VoIP handsets, one wifi bridge,
no complaints on voice quality.

Now depending on the loads on other loads on the wifi, and the number of
other in range access points sharing the same spectrum, I am quite
prepared to accept you might have difficulties. However its not a given
that you will get a poor experience with VoIP over wifi, so if its easy
to do, its worth trying.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y

In article , David Woolley
..demon.invalid scribeth thus
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically
reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for
real time voice.

Now loaded Zoiper and it works fine
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:54:18 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4
mini.

Or Zoiper (free, no ads) with Sipgate on any WiFi enabled Android
device. Assuming the WiFi has access to the 'net of course. B-)

Now in use and works fine Dave!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo theom+news@chi
ark.greenend.org.uk scribeth thus
Robin wrote:
[...]

Now using Zoiper and it works fine over wi-fi on an Motorola android
phone
--
Tony Sayer