Old August 12th 18, 10:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Machine Mart rant

Does anyone actually buy stuff from Machine Mart?

So I'm googling around for a tool, and I find something at a plausible price
from Machine Mart.

OK, let's see if the local branch has stock.
Oh, you can't - except by calling them. Which I can't do because it's
Sunday evening.
Click and collect takes 3-4 days.
I can order it for next day delivery but that costs a fiver
If I do that, I get the statutory 14 day returns refund
But if I go to the shop and they have one in stock, they'll only give me a
credit note (valid 12 months) if I need to return it

Meanwhile, since they won't sell it to me without hassle, I find the same
tool for 22% less at Amazon and 16% less at CPC. So what's the point of
having shops exactly?

Ignoring the prices, a shop that can't tell you whether something is in
stock and gives you fewer rights over buying online, doesn't
seem a great proposition. I could understand if it was a family
ironmongers, but a national chain?

/rant

Theo

Old August 12th 18, 10:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

if I go to the shop and they have one in stock, they'll only give me a
credit note (valid 12 months) if I need to return it

There have been warnings about that before, where they've "forced"
people to take a credit note, when it should have been a refund
Old August 12th 18, 10:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:26:21 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Theo wrote:

if I go to the shop and they have one in stock, they'll only give me a
credit note (valid 12 months) if I need to return it

There have been warnings about that before, where they've "forced"
people to take a credit note, when it should have been a refund

Why should it have been a refund assuming it worked and was bought in
the shop?
Old August 12th 18, 10:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 22:23, Theo wrote:
[...]

I don't use them much, but sometimes it is worth handling stuff to get a
feel for its weight and build quality. Often not bad as a "one stop
shop" since they keep a good stock of things like air line fittings or
welding accessories and consumables. They have been going for a long
time, so its not surprising that their IT isn't as slick as newer firms.
Old August 12th 18, 11:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 22:24:00 UTC+1, Theo wrote:

Does anyone actually buy stuff from Machine Mart?

very occasionally. They're the absolute last on my list. I'd rather buy stuff from a scrappie. The kit itself is fine, the business has been harshly criticised many times.

NT

Old August 13th 18, 01:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

Why should it have been a refund assuming it worked and was bought in
the shop?

Previous complaints have been that they force an expiring credit note
even for faulty returns ... such companies deserve a corresponding lack
of business.
Old August 13th 18, 08:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm sure that whatever they say, they do have to comply with the law, most
of this credit note lark is because they want to pull the wool over the eyes
of the dense customer.
I particularly like the one where you buy software in the old days on a
dvd, and it says we only accept returns if the packaging is not opened.
I used to run into this a lot due to my eye condition I had to insist that
in order to know if I could use it, I had to try it first. Its amazing even
now how much expensive software is completely inaccessible to a blind user
due to there being no keyboard support for its controls.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Old August 13th 18, 10:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Aug 2018 22:23:55 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

Does anyone actually buy stuff from Machine Mart?

snip

I have / do, typically when on special and generally only under
specific circumstances.

1) When the need is urgent and their prices sufficiently close to
other bricks-n-mortar stores to not make price an issue.

2) When the item is simple enough to not be likely to require any
warranty work or specific parts.

My first big purchase from them was a 6" steel cutting bandsaw and I
bought that in a bit of a rush when I built the trifold doors for the
garage / workshop. It was working well till the only real weakness on
it, the bearings failed so I just replaced them with some quality ones
and it's been fine ever since (20 years?).

The 10 tonne hydraulic floor standing press was similar. The needle
has fallen off the pressure gauge (well out of warranty by then) and
they want silly money for a replacement. When I getroundtuit I'm sure
I can find one on eBay.

The small parts cleaner worked well till the pump failed and again,
the replacement pump was as much as a new unit. An old electric fuel
pump works better.

The cast iron floor standing (bench grinder) stand was cheap enough
and there's nothing to go wrong. ;-)

Other than this it's generally just bits and consumables, when I need
stuff in a hurry, especially as there is now so much competition
online.

Cheers, T i m
Old August 13th 18, 04:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2018 01:32, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:

Why should it have been a refund assuming it worked and was bought in
the shop?

Previous complaints have been that they force an expiring credit note
even for faulty returns ... such companies deserve a corresponding lack
of business.

They can't, invoke your legal rights.