Old August 12th 18, 08:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT svhs camcorder no switching on

There is so much expertise on this group I hope someone might be able to
help me with this.
During a clearout today I came across a Mitsubish C35 SVHS camcorder and
all it's gubbins including a number of tapes both svhs and standard VHS,
some of which have content I'd like to check before binning the whole
lot, one in particular.
It used to be said that the completely dead fault was one of the
simplest to fix when I were a lad...
Things have changed!
Both batteries are flat, unsurprisingly. One is on-charge now. The
charger has a direct port for the camera but that isn't working either.
Does anyone have an idea how I might proceed?

Old August 13th 18, 01:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 20:47:15 +0100
G r o g wrote:

There is so much expertise on this group I hope someone might be able
to help me with this.
During a clearout today I came across a Mitsubish C35 SVHS camcorder
and all it's gubbins including a number of tapes both svhs and
standard VHS, some of which have content I'd like to check before
binning the whole lot, one in particular.
It used to be said that the completely dead fault was one of the
simplest to fix when I were a lad...
Things have changed!
Both batteries are flat, unsurprisingly. One is on-charge now. The
charger has a direct port for the camera but that isn't working
either. Does anyone have an idea how I might proceed?

You could do what I did in a similar situation, and buy another
battery. This should then provide enough power for the Reset button to
work, and from there, you should be able to charge the batteries.
This was on a Sony. With the dead battery, nothing would work at all,
not even the charging system, which is in the camera.
--
Davey.
Old August 13th 18, 08:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Find a manual, and if you do not understand modern electronics find somebody
who does. Merely poking about might do more harm and good. There are so many
places to worry about with something which has not been switched on for
years its hard to know where to begin.
Lots of belts and mechanical parts, may on the rubber ones may have
perished. Capacitors in power supplies dried out. If the batteries were
dead, you may find they are knackered.
Most videos have protection for the heads as well so any issues that
stop bits moving will be seen as a reason not to go. Do any lights glow
anywhere? Any clicking noises when you touch things like buttons etc?
The best way, a little late now, to preserve these things is to run them at
least every 6 months or so. Any lubricant will be like sticky goo if not
used as well.
I would think if its just the tapes you need then it might be better to
look for a cheap svhs machine which still runs and use that.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
news

Old August 13th 18, 03:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/08/2018 08:21, Brian Gaff wrote:

I would think if its just the tapes you need then it might be better to
look for a cheap svhs machine which still runs and use that.

Brian

+1, alternatively there are plenty of places which will rip camcorder
tapes to digital (which is what I did, when I had essentially the same
problem).
Old August 13th 18, 07:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 20:47, G r o g wrote:
There is so much expertise on this group I hope someone might be able to
help me with this.
During a clearout today I came across a Mitsubish C35 SVHS camcorder and
all it's gubbins including a number of tapes both svhs and standard VHS,
some of which have content I'd like to check before binning the whole
lot, one in particular.
It used to be said that the completely dead fault was one of the
simplest to fix when I were a lad...
Things have changed!
Both batteries are flat, unsurprisingly. One is on-charge now.* The
charger has a direct port for the camera but that isn't working either.
Does anyone have an idea how I might proceed?

Both batteries charged up and read 6.5v off-load (it's a 6 volt
system)The charger, which is a stand-alone unit with a socket to supply
power to the camera directly reads 6.7v off-load so it seems power is
getting to the cam but not doing anything.
There is no reset button that I can see, the user manual doesn't mention
one. I got the "special tool" out (small hammer) but not tried it yet...
Looks like it's dead in the water, shame.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. If any further thoughts occur
please let me know.

Old August 13th 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 19:08:50 +0100
G r o g wrote:

On 12/08/2018 20:47, G r o g wrote:
[...]

The reset button is usually a tiny recessed one, which needs a paper
clip to push. Keep looking, especially in the area where the tape is
held. Strange that the manual doesn't mention one, though.

--
Davey.

Old August 14th 18, 07:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

G r o g wrote:
On 12/08/2018 20:47, G r o g wrote:
[...]

Does it have a separate clock battery (button cell probably)? Can’t see
why this would stop it powering up but if it has one, it would be worth
replacing it.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 14th 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2018 07:55, Tim+ wrote:
G r o g wrote:
On 12/08/2018 20:47, G r o g wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, but I replaced the CR2025 clock battery last night but
no joy.
Old August 15th 18, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 20:47, G r o g wrote:
There is so much expertise on this group I hope someone might be able to
help me with this.
During a clearout today I came across a Mitsubish C35 SVHS camcorder and

Does anyone have an idea how I might proceed?

I have an old Panasonic SHVS desk and used that to convert all my tapes
to DVD
I'd offer to do this for you but have sold my video capture unit.
(Canopus 110)

I used ... VHS deck TBC Video capture unit video to PC via
Firewire and audio via separate audio connection.
Run winDV a free program that takes care of capturing the audio & video
as a DV file.
Then I used VirtualDub (free) and its amazing array of post processing
plugins (eg remove VHS noise, colour correct, de-interlace, stabilize)
and turn those nasty VHS recordings into a decent digital video files.

Bought TBC & Video Capture unit off eBay and sold them for same price
after completing the job.

If you get a physical way fwd ... lost of tips he

http://forum.videohelp.com/forums/41-Restoration