Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing Materials

Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 14:50, Chris wrote:
Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?

Yes, but getting it past the BCO will be a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 14:50, Chris wrote:
Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ofing_material

Although the advantage of traditional materials is that you have a very
good idea of their expected life.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 16:31, Nightjar wrote:
On 12/08/2018 14:50, Chris wrote:
Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ofing_material

Although the advantage of traditional materials is that you have a very
good idea of their expected life.

One of the shops at the end of my street was roofed with some kind of
composite slate look-a-like material. Although the same size as a slate
they were around 50 to 75% of the weight. The roof looked good when
first done but 15 years later it looked if the roof had been installed
50+ years ago. While the "slates" were still in good condition the nails
used had presumably rusted away and many slates were slipping/dislodged.

The life expectancy of a roof is dependent on the roofing material and
the standard of workmanship installing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 18:03:24 +0100, alan_m wrote:

One of the shops at the end of my street was roofed with some kind of
composite slate look-a-like material. Although the same size as a slate
they were around 50 to 75% of the weight. The roof looked good when
first done but 15 years later it looked if the roof had been installed
50+ years ago. While the "slates" were still in good condition the nails
used had presumably rusted away and many slates were slipping/dislodged.

The life expectancy of a roof is dependent on the roofing material and
the standard of workmanship installing it.

Well, if you're employing some damn fool that's using plain old steel
nails for this purpose, you can't really blame the material the 'slates'
are made of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2018 23:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 18:03:24 +0100, alan_m wrote:

One of the shops at the end of my street was roofed with some kind of
composite slate look-a-like material. Although the same size as a slate
they were around 50 to 75% of the weight. The roof looked good when
first done but 15 years later it looked if the roof had been installed
50+ years ago. While the "slates" were still in good condition the nails
used had presumably rusted away and many slates were slipping/dislodged.

The life expectancy of a roof is dependent on the roofing material and
the standard of workmanship installing it.

Well, if you're employing some damn fool that's using plain old steel
nails for this purpose, you can't really blame the material the 'slates'
are made of.

If they are saving costs by using composition slates, it is not very
likely they would pay the extra for copper nails.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/18 14:50, Chris wrote:
Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?

Synthetic slates are a thing...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new
roof? Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option
nowadays?

Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut them
where needed.

--
*Confession is good for the soul, but bad for your career.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
One of the shops at the end of my street was roofed with some kind of
composite slate look-a-like material. Although the same size as a slate
they were around 50 to 75% of the weight. The roof looked good when
first done but 15 years later it looked if the roof had been installed
50+ years ago. While the "slates" were still in good condition the nails
used had presumably rusted away and many slates were slipping/dislodged.

Done by a cowboy. Artificial slates should use copper nails.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
[...]

Lots and lots round here using artificial slates. Many date from when the
council were dishing out grants towards such things - about the '80s. And
can't say I've noticed any slipping. But of course the council insisted on
it being done properly, before parting with the money.
One or two have discoloured badly. But most look as good as new. Likely
different makes.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris wrote:
Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new
roof? Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option
nowadays?

Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut them
where needed.

They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut them
where needed.

They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Are you one who doesn't get a few quotes before having any such work done?
And then chooses the lowest price from an obvious cowboy? Other have more
sense...

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.

And just who said the roof being replaced used slates? Mine had what was
called double pan tiles.

Repairing an original slate roof using matching tiles can be very costly.
You may not even be able to find a decent match. Early slate roofs had no
felt, so have to be stripped totally. You may also want to add decent
controlled ventilation for the roof - especially where insulation has been
added.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 August 2018 17:43:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Andrew wrote:

Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut them
where needed.

They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Are you one who doesn't get a few quotes before having any such work done?
And then chooses the lowest price from an obvious cowboy? Other have more
sense...

Oddly, many don't

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.

And just who said the roof being replaced used slates? Mine had what was
called double pan tiles.

Repairing an original slate roof using matching tiles can be very costly.

if the damage is extensive. Mostly it's not.

You may not even be able to find a decent match. Early slate roofs had no
felt, so have to be stripped totally.

bzzt

You may also want to add decent
controlled ventilation for the roof - especially where insulation has been
added.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2018 16:21, Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Chris wrote:
Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new
roof? Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option
nowadays?

Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut them
where needed.

They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.

The Victorian houses around here were build 125+ years ago for working
men and their families. The slates used weren't of the quality you'd
expect to find on a Gentleman's London residence[1]. After 125+ years a
large proportion of most which remain are delaminating, cracked, have
enlarged nail holes etc. I saw how many slates were sold on for re-use
when our roof was replaced c10 years ago. It was a quarter at most.

[1] from the quotes we got foir "real" slates, there seems today to
still be different standards within BS EN 12326 with different lifetimes

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Chris wrote:
Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new
roof? Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option
nowadays?

Artificial slates have been popular round here for many years. Seem to
last pretty well. Slightly easier to fit as less skill needed to cut
them
where needed.

They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.

The Victorian houses around here were build 125+ years ago for working
men and their families.Â* The slates used weren't of the quality you'd
expect to find on a Gentleman's London residence[1].Â* After 125+ years a
large proportion of most which remain are delaminating, cracked, have
enlarged nail holes etc. I saw how many slates were sold on for re-use
when our roof was replaced c10 years ago.Â* It was a quarter at most.

+1
When I had the roof replaced on my 1905 property many of the slates were
in a very poor condition with delamination edges crumbling. Only about
a third were salvaged for re-use and even those probably only suitable
for patching up an older roof where matching of the material was important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/18 19:20, Robin wrote:

The Victorian houses around here were build 125+ years ago for working
men and their families.Â* The slates used weren't of the quality you'd
expect to find on a Gentleman's London residence[1].Â* After 125+ years a
large proportion of most which remain are delaminating, cracked, have
enlarged nail holes etc. I saw how many slates were sold on for re-use
when our roof was replaced c10 years ago.Â* It was a quarter at most.

125 years? I'd call that pretty damn good for a roofing material!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
They are very popular amongst dodgy roofers who know that original
victorian slates in good nick can be resold for more than the cost
of new synthetic ones.

Are you one who doesn't get a few quotes before having any such work
done? And then chooses the lowest price from an obvious cowboy? Other
have more sense...

Oddly, many don't

True. Andrew obviously being one of those.

Plenty of unsuspecting homeowners have been caught out this way,
and I suspect some don't even know that their original slates
could have been re-used on their own house.

And just who said the roof being replaced used slates? Mine had what
was called double pan tiles.

Repairing an original slate roof using matching tiles can be very
costly.

if the damage is extensive. Mostly it's not.

The subject was a replacement roof, not repairs.

You may not even be able to find a decent match. Early slate roofs had
no felt, so have to be stripped totally.

bzzt

You may also want to add decent controlled ventilation for the roof -
especially where insulation has been added.

--
*We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/08/18 19:20, Robin wrote:

The Victorian houses around here were build 125+ years ago for working
men and their families. The slates used weren't of the quality you'd
expect to find on a Gentleman's London residence[1]. After 125+ years a
large proportion of most which remain are delaminating, cracked, have
enlarged nail holes etc. I saw how many slates were sold on for re-use
when our roof was replaced c10 years ago. It was a quarter at most.

125 years? I'd call that pretty damn good for a roofing material!!!

True. But also means they'd have little resale value.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/18 19:20, Robin wrote:

The Victorian houses around here were build 125+ years ago for
working men and their families. The slates used weren't of the
quality you'd expect to find on a Gentleman's London residence[1].
After 125+ years a large proportion of most which remain are
delaminating, cracked, have enlarged nail holes etc. I saw how many
slates were sold on for re-use when our roof was replaced c10 years
ago. It was a quarter at most.

125 years? I'd call that pretty damn good for a roofing material!!!

The slate must be of better quality round here. A friend's 1880s house
is still on its original slates (bar a few), and they're in fine shape.
The tingles are slowly increasing though.

My brothers house in the NE of Scotland still has most of the original
slates. And it's closer to 200 than 100 years old. But the roof
construction is different, with tongue and groove boarding under the
slates - presumably to carry the weight of snow.

--
*Don't byte off more than you can view *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 August 2018 14:50:37 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi,

Is there no alternative to slates or tiles when it's time for a new roof?
Surely there must be a lighter and cheaper synthetic option nowadays?

https://newatlas.com/seaweed-house-denmark/55719/

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 17 August 2018 00:57:09 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
On 16/08/18 19:20, Robin wrote:

[...]

Tongue and groove was common 200 years ago, both my parents (Hertfordshire) and our house (Warwickshire) of a similar period have it.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/18 19:20, Robin wrote:

[...]

They'd obviously started building down to a price round here in Victorian
days. You could see sky through the roof at the right angle. ;-)

--
*Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.