Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help with printer selecton

I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

I am seriously considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable
to problems through inactivity?

Not at all.

If not would someone care to make a
recommendation? I would like colour

I'll pass, because I decided a smaller mono laser would fit my needs
better than the larger colour ones (If I need colour/duplex I'll have to
drag the monster Epson C2000 out of hiding)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 09:38:56 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle.

I think that can be the case, some more that others.

I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity?

Not typically.

If not would someone care to make a recommendation?

I think it's partly down to budget. Like many similar things often the
cheapest units have the most expensive consumables (eased if you can
get aftermarket carts or quality refills).

I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

I'm currently running a Ricoh SP C252SF but I was given it s/h.

It's colour, full duplex and networked, the most important things for
me. It also has a networkable scanner with auto doc feeder but I
generally only use it for single pages.

It's on all the time but sleeps within 5 mins and then only draws a
few watts.

It was replaced with an HP SOHO MF colour laser and he is equally
happy with that.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 09:38:59 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

No-one should be buying inkjets now. Get a laser. They don't care how long they sit around for.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously

How long do you leave it between uses? I have a Canon A3 ix6550 that
gets used every month or so to print posters and it survives the odd
month where nothing gets printed at all. I have one of the Canon A4 all
in ones that uses the same cartridge series and also behaves OK.

I also have a Dell 1320C A4 colour laser which cost me around £100 new
and in its day was the closest to photoreal quality colour at an
affordable price. I now use third party cartridges in it. It is
generally the workhorse although it is now getting a bit worn out.

considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

What sort of things do you want to print? If you mostly want to print
photographs then you need a fairly good laser to be OK - read up the
reviews to see which ones come recommended. A laser will stand being
left almost indefinitely without printing anything and still work.

Inkjets waste a fair amount of ink cleaning themselves if you allow them
a long gap between uses. Read the reviews to see which best matches your
printing requirements - cost of consumables may not be an issue for you
if your printing requirements are very light. It is a big factor for me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

No personal experience, but this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/printers/all-in-one-printers/1404312/dell-h825cdw-review-can-this-laser-live-up-to-todays-inkjets

seems to be reviewed as a good compromise.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 10:27, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Broadback wrote:

No personal experience, but this:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/printers/all-in-one-printers/1404312/dell-h825cdw-review-can-this-laser-live-up-to-todays-inkjets

seems to be reviewed as a good compromise.

Seems Dell still use decent colour print engines in their products. You
can probably find a simpler printer only model for less money.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback used his keyboard to write :
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the problem is
it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The cartridges dry, or
some other problem develops. I suspect it is not happy with spending quite
long periods of time idle. I am seriously considering getting a laser
printer, are these as liable to problems through inactivity? If not would
someone care to make a recommendation? I would like colour but an associated
scanner is not necessary. TIA

Laser printers can just sit unused for month years, they cannot dry up
like an inkjet. They use a superfine 'plastic' dust, which is set on
the paper by heated rollers.

You can now get cheap colour desktop lasers for not a lot, or there are
plenty of more capable office lasers given away on the likes of
freegle, when offices upgrade - especialy B&W ones.

I have an old ex-office HP4000N with all of the accessories, including
duplexer so it can print both sides. I have had it 10 or 15 years and
it has given me problem free service all of that time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity?

They tend to be much better in this respect.

If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

Budget? Does it need to be networked? Duplex? Howw many pages / month
typically?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity?

Nope lasers should be fine almost with even vast time gaps between
prints .

You do not need a photo realistic one just get one that does text and
'blocky' colour for documents. Anything you need to be photo-realistic
take to a print shop in town they generally have MUCH better quality
printers than you could ever reasonably need at home and use these, to
print out your 'keepsies'. Of course this all depends, on how far
away/how complicated to get to, your local print shop is, but generally
the need, for photo-realistic prints does not sneak up on you so it
might be in order to plan a dedicated trip into town

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Laser printers can just sit unused for month years, they cannot dry up
like an inkjet. They use a superfine 'plastic' dust, which is set on
the paper by heated rollers.

You can now get cheap colour desktop lasers for not a lot, or there are
plenty of more capable office lasers given away on the likes of
freegle, when offices upgrade - especialy B&W ones.

I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. Think it was a special offer from
CPC some years ago. Despite not much use (the reason for buying it) it
broke. Could have paid for quite a few non genuine ink cartridges for my
inkjet for the cost. And the actual print quality was only so so. More
grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

So like with so much else, it might be worth paying extra for quality. Or
a decent used office machine if you have the space.

--
*Even a blind pig stumbles across an acorn now and again *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Laser printers can just sit unused for month years, they cannot dry up
like an inkjet. They use a superfine 'plastic' dust, which is set on
the paper by heated rollers.

You can now get cheap colour desktop lasers for not a lot, or there are
plenty of more capable office lasers given away on the likes of
freegle, when offices upgrade - especialy B&W ones.

I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. Think it was a special offer from
CPC some years ago. Despite not much use (the reason for buying it) it
broke. Could have paid for quite a few non genuine ink cartridges for my
inkjet for the cost. And the actual print quality was only so so. More
grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

You may have just been unlucky. I have a Samsung ML-2550 Duplex laser
printer ex Morgan Computers remaindered. It is an ugly brute intended
for a busy office but has survived almost two decades of my abuse.

It clanks a bit these days when printing but is fine for monochrome.

So like with so much else, it might be worth paying extra for quality. Or
a decent used office machine if you have the space.

+1

Consumer printers these days are seen by the makers as a necessary evil
to sell the expensive consumables. Office ones are built to last.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. [...] the actual print quality
was only so so. More grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

Mine's basically a bottom of the range Samsung M2026W, about the size of
a shoe-box, lives on a bookshelf, fairly light use, but no problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. [...] the actual print quality
was only so so. More grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

Mine's basically a bottom of the range Samsung M2026W, about the size of
a shoe-box, lives on a bookshelf, fairly light use, but no problems.

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers, and they have
seemed OK. I only changed when a new one with more features cost
little more than a toner refill. (1)

(1) Yes, I know a new printer doesn't have a full charge of
toner.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers

I wasn't aware that Samsung had ditched their printer business onto HP

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/printers/samsung.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 16:25:34 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers

I wasn't aware that Samsung had ditched their printer business onto HP

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/printers/samsung.html

It was funny years ago when people swore by HP lasers and wouldn't
have a Canon. ;-)

Or offices that only buy Olivetti when the installer has a bag of
badges. ;-)

Or buy a VW Sharan because of the 'German engineering' (but actually
made in Portugal) and wouldn't drive a Ford Galaxy or Seat Alhambra.
;-)

Or me being happy with my old Rover 218SD that was a Peugeot powed
Honda Concerto. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 09:38:59 UTC+1, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

No-one should be buying inkjets now. Get a laser. They don't care how
long they sit around for.

Interstingly, Epson no longer make laser printers. Instead they have
inkjets which can take tanks of ink rathern than tiny cartridges.

I have a number of printers, the main one is an A3 colour laser, no 2 is
aan A4 mono laser. I've also got an A3 colour photo quality inkjet which is
now very rarely used a portable inkjet which can accompany my laptop,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 16:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers

I wasn't aware that Samsung had ditched their printer business onto HP

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/printers/samsung.html

Didn't HP use Brother laser print engines?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers

I wasn't aware that Samsung had ditched their printer business onto HP

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/printers/samsung.html

Didn't HP use Brother laser print engines?

Canon, mostly AFAIK.

Initially Canon built the 'engines', shipped them to HP who then cased
them, boxed them up and shipped them out in their own trucks. Then
Canon cased them and boxed them (and may have also shipped them to the
distributors).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

No brainer, I have a Lexmark CS410DN (duplex, networked) and it has been
fine. Not too bad at all for photos, especially if you laminate them
(although there is some sort of problem printing photos in Word documents).

Had a Dell before that, also good until the input circuitry died so I've
gone off them a bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles brought next idea :
I have a number of printers, the main one is an A3 colour laser, no 2 is
aan A4 mono laser. I've also got an A3 colour photo quality inkjet which is
now very rarely used a portable inkjet which can accompany my laptop,

I have the HP4000N, then 2x low end colour lasers, all were free a good
home. To be fair, in all the time I have had the colour lasers, I not
really used them in earnest. I make occasional use of the HP400N and
other than the original cartridge running out, needing replacement and
fitting some new pick up rollers, it has never let me down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. Think it was a special offer from
CPC some years ago. Despite not much use (the reason for buying it) it
broke. Could have paid for quite a few non genuine ink cartridges for my
inkjet for the cost. And the actual print quality was only so so. More
grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

You may have just been unlucky. I have a Samsung ML-2550 Duplex laser
printer ex Morgan Computers remaindered. It is an ugly brute intended
for a busy office but has survived almost two decades of my abuse.

The Samsung I had was very definitely built down to a price for domestic
use. Reason I fancied it was it wasn't any bigger than an inkjet, when
most were.

--
*"I am " is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

I've had a couple of cheap Samsung mono lasers

I wasn't aware that Samsung had ditched their printer business onto HP

https://www8.hp.com/uk/en/printers/samsung.html

Didn't HP use Brother laser print engines?

The earlier ones were definitely Canon. I still use my 1993 LJ4M+.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Laser printers can just sit unused for month years, they cannot dry up
like an inkjet. They use a superfine 'plastic' dust, which is set on
the paper by heated rollers.

You can now get cheap colour desktop lasers for not a lot, or there are
plenty of more capable office lasers given away on the likes of
freegle, when offices upgrade - especialy B&W ones.

I bought a cheap momo laser. Samsung. Think it was a special offer from
CPC some years ago. Despite not much use (the reason for buying it) it
broke. Could have paid for quite a few non genuine ink cartridges for my
inkjet for the cost. And the actual print quality was only so so. More
grey than black. And I tried all the settings.

So like with so much else, it might be worth paying extra for quality. Or
a decent used office machine if you have the space.

I had a small Samsung Mono Laser printer. The cartridges in my previous
colour laser printer ran out and, as I was out of work and short of
money, a mono laser on a clearance offer for £25 seemed a good deal.
That printer is still in use by my son to avoid coming downstairs to the
main printer - it must be 12 to 15 years old now!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 14:33, soup wrote:

Â* Of course this all depends, on how far
away/how complicated to get to, your local print shop is, but generally
the need, for photo-realistic prints does not sneak up on you so it
might be in order to plan a dedicated trip into town

Or use one of the on-line services where you download their software,
upload the image, select the size you want (original image dependent),
glossy or matt paper and a few options such as borderless. You have to
factor in postage charges for a one off.

I've used Aldi Photos who are probably just a re-seller of some
centralised photo processing company for a number of 30" x 20" prints
(£5 + pp) A 6" x 4" print starts at 5p.

http://www.aldiphotos.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2018 08:08, alan_m wrote:
On 18/07/2018 14:33, soup wrote:

Â* Of course this all depends, on how far
away/how complicated to get to, your local print shop is, but generally
the need, for photo-realistic prints does not sneak up on you so it
might be in order to plan a dedicated trip into town

Or use one of the on-line services where you download their software,
upload the image, select the size you want (original image dependent),
glossy or matt paper and a few options such as borderless.Â* You have to
factor in postage charges for a one off.

I've used Aldi Photos who are probably just a re-seller of some
centralised photo processing company for a number of 30" x 20" prints
(£5 + pp)Â* A 6" xÂ* 4" print starts at 5p.

http://www.aldiphotos.co.uk/

Aldi have keen prices too.

I use Jessops who print on Fuji crystal archive paper and can vouch for
their light stability. Prints done 12 years ago and in filtered daylight
for the entire period have survived whereas inkjet prints in the same
display have faded even though they were done on Canon's most expensive
paper and ink system at the time. The dyes that absorb blue light
essentially fade to nothing leaving a ghostly red/yellow tinged pale
pastel image with almost no blue remaining. Jessops prices are now quite
a bit higher (although they are still doing prints on Fuji CA).

https://photo.jessops.com/product/photo-prints/

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Definitely not.
I've left mine idle for weeks. However the odd thing is that the older hp
printers never used to have dry out or clogging issues it only seems to be
the more modern one I have a 720 c and 840c and they are still running, and
as long as compatible ink is around they are fine for very small print jobs.
If you are printing photos though, I don't know what lasers are like for
that.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
news
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the problem
is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The cartridges dry,
or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not happy with spending
quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously considering getting a laser
printer, are these as liable to problems through inactivity? If not would
someone care to make a recommendation? I would like colour but an
associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 18:00, newshound wrote:
On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a
recommendation? I would like colour but an associated scanner is not
necessary. TIA

No brainer, I have a Lexmark CS410DN (duplex, networked) and it has been
fine. Not too bad at all for photos, especially if you laminate them
(although there is some sort of problem printing photos in Word documents).

? can't say I have noticed a problem with photos in Word documents.

Have had problems drawing circles programmatically in Excel though - it
turns out the poor circle gets kerned by the font metrics and ends up
oval unless you use a fixed width teletype style font!

Had a Dell before that, also good until the input circuitry died so I've
gone off them a bit.

The best inkjets will blow away a colour laser but the ink stability
longer term isn't fantastic. Long term display boards I prefer Fuji
crystal archive prints.

My inkjet printed posters on normal paper are visibly faded after 2-3
weeks under glass or perspex outdoors in full sunlight. Laser printed
ones survive all conditions and the ink doesn't run if rain gets in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
My inkjet printed posters on normal paper are visibly faded after 2-3
weeks under glass or perspex outdoors in full sunlight. Laser printed
ones survive all conditions and the ink doesn't run if rain gets in.

Early inkjet ink seemed to suffer from both of those. My current ink jet
is an order of magnitude better. And doesn't clog up anything like as
quickly. Seems OK only used once a month or so.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2018 09:38, Broadback wrote:
I have a HP Photosmart 7520 printer. It gets intermittent use, the
problem is it needs sorting almost every time I wish to use it. The
cartridges dry, or some other problem develops. I suspect it is not
happy with spending quite long periods of time idle. I am seriously
considering getting a laser printer, are these as liable to problems
through inactivity? If not would someone care to make a recommendation?
I would like colour but an associated scanner is not necessary. TIA

Kyocera
I have a mono at work and colour at home.
Toner cartridges are cheap as chips (aftermarket ones)

Downside... Only that colour LASER printers are pretty big and lasers in
general can be a bit of a Chinese puzzle to find your way into the murky
depths to resolve a paper jam but YouTube has come to my assistance a
couple of times although even with cheap thin paper I use at work jams
are few and far between.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
My inkjet printed posters on normal paper are visibly faded after 2-3
weeks under glass or perspex outdoors in full sunlight. Laser printed
ones survive all conditions and the ink doesn't run if rain gets in.

Early inkjet ink seemed to suffer from both of those. My current ink jet
is an order of magnitude better. And doesn't clog up anything like as
quickly. Seems OK only used once a month or so.

+1

Although even today the inks are nowhere near as stable as the gold
standard of Cibachrome or Fuji Crystal Archive (which are pretty much
indestructible in very harsh conditions for a long time).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2018 11:25, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Thank you all for the suggestions and pointers. In th end I went for the
Samsung Mx301. Apart from lack of information on removing all the
rubbish it was easy to install. I am pleased with the print quality.