DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/613307-recessed-ceiling-lights-plasterboard.html)

DerbyBorn[_5_] June 21st 18 09:21 AM

Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard

I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique? Why are
they so strong?

Tim Watts[_3_] June 21st 18 09:39 AM

On 21/06/18 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique? Why are
they so strong?

I have seen that... What can help is sealing the edges of the PB with
paint or glue to stabilise it.

ss June 21st 18 10:30 AM

On 21/06/2018 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:
I have seen that... What can help is sealing the edges of the PB with
paint or glue to stabilise it.

I use PVA simply because I have some, I give it a couple of coats.

Robin June 21st 18 10:50 AM

On 21/06/2018 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique?

I've only done a few but FWLIW I'm working my way through the
suggestions he

https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/...threadid=52501

So far the springs are winning - especially where "fire rated" :(

Why are
they so strong?

My current theory is that the plasterers' guild have got at several
downlight manufacturers ;)

--
Robin

FMurtz June 21st 18 11:08 AM

Robin wrote:
On 21/06/2018 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first
time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will
lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique?

I've only done a few but FWLIW I'm working my way through the
suggestions he

https://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/...threadid=52501

So far the springs are winning - especially where "fire rated" :(

Why are
they so strong?

My current theory is that the plasterers' guild have got at several
downlight manufacturers ;)

They are easier to remove if the hole is not so snug

John Rumm June 21st 18 11:26 AM

Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard

On 21/06/2018 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique? Why are
they so strong?

So that when you pull it out of the void, they snap back and hit your
thumb really really hard.... and you say things like "oh deary me, that
smarts a little" (or words to that effect)

DAMHIK

--
Cheers,

John.

ARW June 21st 18 06:16 PM

Recessed Ceiling Lights in Plasterboard

On 21/06/2018 09:21, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just had to remove a recessed (Halers LED) lamp for the first time.
I was shocked by how strong the springs were that held it in the ceiling.
Some damage occured. It struck me that removing them a few times will lead
to damage. Are they all a bit too strong? Am I missing a technique? Why are
they so strong?

It could be that the hole is a few mm under sized.

Was there not a thread here not so long ago from F about repairing or
protecting the holes?

As for tips to get them down without damage it has IMHO to be one side
slowly first until the clip is half way down followed by the other clip.

--
Adam