Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unattended Bonfires

You've only got yourself to blame if you locate next to a group of
allotments. There are some freehold allotments adjoining our terrace ( I own
one of them).

One of my absentee neighbours (she lives in Scandinavia) has sub-let her
allotment, to a guy who likes leaving compost to smoulder for 24 + hours.
Problem is, if you leave your bedroom window open at night, the pong can be
unpleasant.

When I complained to Scandinavian lady's parents (who manage the allotment
on her behalf) I was asked "Don't you like the smell of smoke?" I replied
"My wife doesn't like the smell on washing" My wife is also a former TB
sufferer and her lungs are pretty much shot.

Next time I don't want to call the Fire Brigade out but is there any other
action I can take? TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message news
Have you tried approaching the person they sub let it to? I'm not sure you
are allowed to sub let allotments around here actually, but that is a whole
other thing.

If you own the freehold of the allotment, you can sub-let it. They're not
council allotments. After the 1st out-of-control fire (about 3 weeks ago) it
took wife and self about 20 buckets of water to get it back under control. I
spoke to him and he assured me he wouldn't leave fire unattended again.

One of the problems is the weather, under certain conditions smoke does
tend to swirl near the ground and become a big problem to neighbours. After
all all he needs to do is damp it down before he leaves the site.
Brian

He did it again 4 nights ago. This time a smaller fire which he'd dampened
down beforehand. This time we got smoke and steam for 24 hours. His excuse
was, the wind was blowing away from the houses at 10 pm, when he left. The
warm front which came, failed to put out the fire but did shift the wind
direction thru' say, 100 degrees.

I suggested he invest £14 (Trago Mills) in an incinerator, it would get
through 6 wheelbarrow loads in a couple of hours. He didn't think it's a
good idea !! Trouble is, he doesn't live here. He'd get an ear-bashing from
his wife, if the washing stank of smoke. The joys of opening a bedroom
window on a warm Summer's evening are now gone.

The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to foot
the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Corse there is, kill him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 20:02:14 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to
foot the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Corse there is, kill him.

https://thetravellingtiles.files.wor...b6f9820001.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 10:54, Bertie Doe wrote:

"Brian Gaff"Â* wrote in message news
[...]

Just say to him you'll drench his plot with Glyphosate as that will stop
regrowth of vegetation that will need burning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Have you tried approaching the person they sub let it to? I'm not sure you
are allowed to sub let allotments around here actually, but that is a
whole other thing.

One of the problems is the weather, under certain conditions smoke does
tend to swirl near the ground and become a big problem to neighbours.
After all all he needs to do is damp it down before he leaves the site.

Be grateful that you don't live opposite a farm. We're living in a cottage
in a small village in the Yorkshire Dales, which sounds idyllic but the
village is dominated by a dairy farm. The smell from the cows is noticeable
but not really objectionable, but whenever the farm dig around in the muck
heap to pile it up, the whole village reeks for several days, indoors as
well as outdoors. The smell clings to any washing that is hung out to dry,
requiring re-washing and then hanging up indoors to dry (or drying "smalls"
in the tumble drier).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Surely only the sox are smalls anymore now with so
many lard arses around and everyone using tissues.

Tho I spose what little kids wear are still smalls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 17 June 2018 10:54:27 UTC+1, Bertie Doe wrote:
The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to foot
the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Complain to local authority Environmental Health that the continued and prolonged bonfires are a statutory nuisance. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, the Council is obliged to take action where a statutory nuisance exists.

https://www.eden.gov.uk/your-environ...res-and-smoke/

The notice may be served on Scandinavian Lady or her Parents if they are the owners or managers of the land concerned.

Another possibility is an injunction against bonfires but you'd probably need to know the identity of the culprit.

For both of the above you don't need 24 householders to all complain, but it will be more effective if you have mmultiple complaints.

When does the problem allotmentee's 'tenancy' of the allotment expire? Would it be feasible for you to offer to take it over?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd contact the local authority. I'm sure there are rule re fires and
nuisance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 10:54, Bertie Doe wrote:
The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to
foot the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Have you tried the council's enviromental health dept?

This is a good writeup from my council:

http://www.rother.gov.uk/article/391/Bonfires

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

The problem with talking Legal Action is persuading 24 householders to
foot the bill. I was hoping there was an alternative ?

Corse there is, kill him.

That may be the only solution in Oz but over here - eyebrows would be
raised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

You could **** on it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

There's 11 months to run on his annual tenancy plus I don't want to take on
another allotment. There's just the 2 of us and each allotment measures 170'
x 20', that's about 12 sq rod ....

Thanks for the above link to Eden DC. I'm sure our local authority will have
something similar. I'll check that out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message

[...]

buy a bigger bucket

or a long hose

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , NY
wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
[...]

Was the farm there before you moved there?

Planning consent for intensive livestock housing within 400m of existing
domestic housing can be an issue.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

And you may end up with no one allowed a small fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff"Â* wrote in message news snipped
He did it again 4 nights ago. This time a smaller fire which he'd
dampened down beforehand. This time we got smoke and steam for 24 hours.
His excuse was, the wind was blowing away from the houses at 10 pm, when
he left. The warm front which came, failed to put out the fire but did
shift the wind direction thru' say, 100 degrees.
snipped

Contact your local Council. The guy is creating a nuisance and as such
it's the Council's duty to stop it.
https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

petefj
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 17/06/2018 12:47, ARW wrote:
On 17/06/2018 00:51, Bertie Doe wrote:

Next time I don't want to call the Fire Brigade out but is there any
other action I can take? TIA

You could **** on it.

If he leaves it unattended in the evening put it out with a few buckets
of water.