Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig

I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look - ta.
Never heard of those...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/18 18:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look - ta.
Never heard of those...

Ah - I see...

The only difference I can see is the lateral alighnment (or not). Is
that too important, or does one just make the slot a bit wider than needed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I got a cheapo biscuit jointer from LidAldi, and have used it on a few
extra jobs to the one it was bought for, but of course you can't buy
their tools when you need them ... but if you want expensive get a Domino.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

My metal dowel jig hasn't had much use, the last time I used dowels I
wanted 15mm, so had to make a custom guide anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look - ta.
Never heard of those...

Ah - I see...

The only difference I can see is the lateral alighnment (or not). Is
that too important, or does one just make the slot a bit wider than needed?

Er yes :-) once the glue & biscuit has expanded it won't make any
difference IMHO. You could even do a slot on edge of each piece
of wood & put your choice of number of biscuits in.

(Ducks down behind parapet awaiting incoming ;-) )
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I got a cheapo biscuit jointer from LidAldi, and have used it on a few
extra jobs to the one it was bought for, but of course you can't buy
their tools when you need them ... but if you want expensive get a Domino.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

My metal dowel jig hasn't had much use, the last time I used dowels I
wanted 15mm, so had to make a custom guide anyway.

These things are very handy for the odd doweling job.

https://tinyurl.com/yawrca2m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router
But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look -
ta. Never heard of those...

Ah - I see...

The only difference I can see is the lateral alighnment (or not). Is
that too important, or does one just make the slot a bit wider than
needed?

I wouldn't call 800x600 a plank!

You can d-i-y tongue and groove if you have access to a bench saw.
Create an edge slot by several passes through the saw with the blade set
to a shallow cut.

Then use a strip of thin ply or cut a strip off a batten as the tongue.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 00:38, FMurtz wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I got a cheapo biscuit jointer from LidAldi, and have used it on a few
extra jobs to the one it was bought for, but of course you can't buy
their tools when you need them ... but if you want expensive get a
Domino.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

My metal dowel jig hasn't had much use, the last time I used dowels I
wanted 15mm, so had to make a custom guide anyway.

These things are very handy for the odd doweling job.

https://tinyurl.com/yawrca2m

I have used those before - they are a possibility, though I have
struggled to drill the holes sufficiently at right angles.

I stumbled across this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-4...dp/B0001P19PY/

which looks interesting - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkScV-iRmC4

That's got the drill guide, for smaller dowells I should be able to use
my 10.8V power drill (small and light).

Anyone used one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 09:00, Tim Lamb wrote:
I wouldn't call 800x600 a plank!

That's the finished size

Probably use 150mm wide planks as a reasonable balance between cost and
width - maybe in something fancy like cherry for the hell of it as it
will be very much on show (it's to go over a washing machine in an
alcove round the back).

You can d-i-y tongue and groove if you have access to a bench saw.
Create an edge slot by several passes through the saw with the blade set
to a shallow cut.

I so wish I had a bench saw I don't even have the covered space for
one right now...

Then use a strip of thin ply or cut a strip off a batten as the tongue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts Wrote in message:
On 17/06/18 00:38, FMurtz wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

[...]

Not me but it looks very cleverly thought through on the video.
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 10:53, Jim K wrote:

Not me but it looks very cleverly thought through on the video.

I did find it after I posted the original question - I might take a punt
for that price - and it is something that can go in the drawer rather
than be another tool lying around.

Better buy a set of 3 decent clamps now - at least they're universally
useful

I'll be interested in how flush the end result is (placement accuracy) -
all I have for a "flat" worksurface is this:

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Keter-...kbench/41-3168

But to be fair, it's one of Keter's better products and is remarkably
useful as a general surface that packs away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

Rutlands were touting what looks like it could be a reasonable chepie
recently:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...utlands+xt2301

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

It depends on what you are doing...

Thinks like aligning long edge glue ups, biscuits are very good for.
Dowels also work but are more fiddly to use in that applications. For
things like joints into end grain, then dowels are usually better.

(dowels align on two axis - biscuits only really on one (although there
are some nift Lamello biscuits designed to hammer into perpendicular
slots that then pull joints together nicely).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2018 18:13, Tim Watts wrote:
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router

You sad twisted individual ;-)

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look - ta.
Never heard of those...

IME the biscuit cutters for routers are sub optimal... oh and they are
also evil! ;-)

The main advantage of the BJ is that it cuts the whole slot quickly,
safely, and in one plunge. The radius of the cutting wheel matches that
of the biscuit. With the router cutters they are necessarily smaller to
fit through the base of the router, so you need to plunge them in, then
slide along the required amount, and then withdraw from the cut. Its
slower and the slot fits the biscuit less well.

The other big problem is that the required sequence of events means you
need to set the cutter depth and lock it off. That means its exposed.
You need to lower into position, then slide to the side to start the
cut. Remove at the end of the cut and at no time lift or tilt the router
or change the plunge setting while anywhere near the wood - else you
will likely have a lump out of it in a place where you did not want it.
DAMHIK.

Put it this way, I sold my BJ router cutters on ebay!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 10:07, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/06/18 09:00, Tim Lamb wrote:
I wouldn't call 800x600 a plank!

That's the finished size

Probably use 150mm wide planks as a reasonable balance between cost and
width - maybe in something fancy like cherry for the hell of it as it
will be very much on show (it's to go over a washing machine in an
alcove round the back).

You can d-i-y tongue and groove if you have access to a bench saw.
Create an edge slot by several passes through the saw with the blade
set to a shallow cut.

I so wish I had a bench saw I don't even have the covered space for
one right now...

Then use a strip of thin ply or cut a strip off a batten as the tongue.

Yup, basically a floating tenon. Can work very well.

Without a table saw, a small router will do this job easily. A straight
1/4" fluted cutter in the end and a pair of matching slots on the side
of the timber.

Also worth noting that with long grain glue ups of planks, you don't
actually need any additional biscuits, or dowels etc from a strength
point of view. The glue alone will be plenty strong enough. The main
thing you get is ease of alignment.

You can do similar with clamping cawls - basically some straight[1]
battens coverd with parcel tape (so the glue does not stick), that you
camp across the boads being jointed to hold them all flat and in the
same plane while they set).

[1] if you want to get posh, planing a slight convex clamping surface on
them makes them grip better when all the clamping force is at the ends
of the cawls - the shape increases the grip in the middle of the cawl.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 12:29, Tim Watts wrote:
On 17/06/18 10:53, Jim K wrote:

Not me but it looks very cleverly thought through on the video.

I did find it after I posted the original question - I might take a punt
for that price - and it is something that can go in the drawer rather
than be another tool lying around.

Better buy a set of 3 decent clamps now - at least they're universally
useful

I'll be interested in how flush the end result is (placement accuracy) -
all I have for a "flat" worksurface is this:

https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Keter-...kbench/41-3168

But to be fair, it's one of Keter's better products and is remarkably
useful as a general surface that packs away.

See my comments about cowls earlier. However this is where things like
the BJ win, since you use them to reference the slot position from the
finished surface - so you can even glue different thickness boards with
their final finished surface perfectly aligned.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

I don't have a router

You sad twisted individual ;-)

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look -
ta. Never heard of those...

IME the biscuit cutters for routers are sub optimal... oh and they are
also evil! ;-)

They're fine for cutting slots using an adjustable router table.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 2:12:57 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I watched a youtube video and the guy compared different joints. The biscuit joint was little better than a butt joint
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
[...]

+1. Once you get the hang of a biscuit jointer, it's quick and easy to
make reasonably accurate joints. And cheap ones work OK (I would not
recommend a cheap router though). I've never made up a shelf out of
planks. For a long time now I've always made shelving units up out of
18mm plywood (usually with 6 mm for the backs). If it is going to be
painted and/or doesn't have to look particularly smart I economise by
using shuttering ply. (I have an ancient cottage, so "rustic" fits in
well). Biscuit cutter and of course sawboard are my best friends.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 16:27, misterroy wrote:

I watched a youtube video and the guy compared different joints. The biscuit joint was little better than a butt joint

It's not the individual joints which hold a useful structure together,
it is the overall structural design. If you are making (say) a basic
bookcase with butt jointed shelves and vertical members, biscuit joints
let you put it together quickly, provided you cut the members accurately
enough (sawboard!) If you then screw and glue 6 mm ply on the back to
take the shear, the whole structure becomes very strong (even if you
don't rebate the back). Dowelling the back might be theoretically better
but suitably sized screws with pilot holes work too.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 14:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

Rutlands were touting what looks like it could be a reasonable chepie
recently:

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-...utlands+xt2301

Hi John,

That's at a rather good price - thanks for the link.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

It depends on what you are doing...

Thinks like aligning long edge glue ups, biscuits are very good for.
Dowels also work but are more fiddly to use in that applications. For
things like joints into end grain, then dowels are usually better.

(dowels align on two axis - biscuits only really on one (although there
are some nift Lamello biscuits designed to hammer into perpendicular
slots that then pull joints together nicely).

Interesting - thanks for the explanation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-4...dp/B0001P19PY/

Anyone used one?

Looks better than the toolsatan cheap junk that I returned, 90 degrees
my arse!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 10:53, Jim K wrote:

[...]

Shurely a BJ bit in a router could also achieve this?
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 17/06/2018 16:27, misterroy wrote:

I watched a youtube video and the guy compared different joints. The
biscuit joint was little better than a butt joint

It's not the individual joints which hold a useful structure together, it
is the overall structural design. If you are making (say) a basic bookcase
with butt jointed shelves and vertical members, biscuit joints let you put
it together quickly, provided you cut the members accurately enough
(sawboard!) If you then screw and glue 6 mm ply on the back to take the
shear, the whole structure becomes very strong (even if you don't rebate
the back). Dowelling the back might be theoretically better but suitably
sized screws with pilot holes work too.

IMO it works a lot better to weld up rectangular frames of dexion square
25mm slotted tubing, sit that on the floor, bolt it to the wall and have
aluminium flats cut to length in the vertical slots and sit the shelves on
those. And have more verticals with the heavy stuff like bookshelves
so you can use the much cheaper melamine coated mdf instead of
timber or ply. And have the frame front to back distance so that the
long lengths you get from the shed drop in and only need to be
cut to length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 06:09:40 +1000, cantankerous geezer Rot Speed blabbered,
again:

IMO it works a lot better to weld up rectangular frames of dexion square
25mm slotted tubing, sit that on the floor, bolt it to the wall and have
aluminium flats cut to length in the vertical slots and sit the shelves on
those. And have more verticals with the heavy stuff like bookshelves
so you can use the much cheaper melamine coated mdf instead of
timber or ply. And have the frame front to back distance so that the
long lengths you get from the shed drop in and only need to be
cut to length.

Darn, so far this thread has been Rot-free! And now the cretin HAD to butt
in with his senile rot again!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 15:58, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 16/06/18 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

Â*I don't have a router

You sad twisted individual ;-)

But as I might be interesting in getting one, I will have a look -
ta. Never heard of those...

IME the biscuit cutters for routers are sub optimal... oh and they are
also evil! ;-)

They're fine for cutting slots using an adjustable router table.

Yup table use is far easier that hand held with them, but still nothing
like as useful as the proper tool though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/18 10:53, Jim K wrote:

[...]

Its can, but its a PITA to use in comparison the the proper tool IME.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Depends on what you think its doing. Its not a replacement for M&T
joints etc, but its a quick way to to make assembly fast and accurate,
while adding a bit of additional strength in some axis.

If you want the speed and ease of biscuit jointing, but real joint
strength as well, then get a Festool Domino system. Just make sure you
are sitting down before looking at the price!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 17:29:25 +0100
newshound wrote:

I've never made up a shelf out of planks.

I've found T&G timber floorboards are good for making wider shelves

For a long time now I've
always made shelving units up out of 18mm plywood (usually with 6 mm
for the backs).

A sandwich of ply/OSB/etc. glued and screwed to softwood battens at the
edges (with extra in the middle if it's really deep) is a construction
that works well in lots of applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2018 18:31, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfcraft-4...dp/B0001P19PY/

Anyone used one?

Looks better than the toolsatan cheap junk that I returned, 90 degrees
my arse!

It looks like an updated version of the one I've had for 20+ years.

With care, you can get good results. Mine has a guide which clamps on
the underside as you look at the photo for some joints. It can be a pain
to get right/stay where put.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

As others have said, a biscuit jointer is expensive for a one off.
Dowels are cheap and easy.

Have you considered just glue and clamping?

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/18 00:40, John Rumm wrote:
Festool Domino

Clever...

But *ow!*

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Looks better than the toolsatan cheap junk that I returned, 90 degrees
my arse!

It looks like an updated version of the one I've had for 20+ years.

Basic design looks ok similar to the woldcraft, but as I said it was
something like 88° rather than a right angle, normal 'quality' for
Silverline ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 17/06/18 10:53, Jim K wrote:

[...]

I've got by on the odd occasion.

Don't forget it is for one shelf....

--
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2018 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

If you want a Biscuit bit for a Router ... I have one I no longer use -
happy to sell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2018 08:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/06/18 00:40, John Rumm wrote:
Festool Domino

Clever...

But *ow!*

Now go look at the XL version ;-)

(to be fair, in a production shop it would probably pay for itself in
the first week)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2018 08:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/06/18 00:40, John Rumm wrote:
Festool Domino

Clever...

But *ow!*

Worth noting you can do similar but a little less quickly with a plunge
router and a mortising jig and some home made slip tenons.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick Wrote in message:
On 16/06/2018 18:10, Jim K wrote:
Tim Watts Wrote in message:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for
something I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

Biscuit bit in a router?

If you want a Biscuit bit for a Router ... I have one I no longer use -
happy to sell

Who me?
I already have one, hence the suggestion...
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
On 16/06/2018 18:02, Tim Watts wrote:
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm).

My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for something
I will use very sparingly.

I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might be a better investment?

As others have said, a biscuit jointer is expensive for a one off. Dowels
are cheap and easy.

Have you considered just glue and clamping?

bodger ...

Cheap biscuit jointer vs biscuit cutter for router James Harris[_3_] UK diy 6 September 4th 14 10:26 PM
Dowling rather then tenons? Toller Woodworking 9 January 17th 06 02:57 AM
To biscuit or not to biscuit Buster Woodworking 4 October 17th 05 03:34 AM
Which Biscuit Jointer? Reader UK diy 9 February 5th 04 05:50 PM
DW682K Biscuit Jointer - Angle scale NBG - does it matter? RzB UK diy 13 August 9th 03 04:44 PM