Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slow wash on a washing machine

The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing machine
seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three hours. Today
it is claiming it will take one hour and 15 minutes. I used to think
it was to do with the size (weight?) of the load but today is quite a
full load with what seems to be a fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2018 09:19, Scott wrote:
The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing machine
seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three hours. Today
it is claiming it will take one hour and 15 minutes. I used to think
it was to do with the size (weight?) of the load but today is quite a
full load with what seems to be a fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.

Washing machines tend to adjust the amount of water used dependant on
load. A large load will act like a large sponge and the much water is
retained in the garments when the machine checks the water level. The
greater amount of water in the machine during the heating cycle the
longer it takes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2018 09:19, Scott wrote:
The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing machine
seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three hours. Today
it is claiming it will take one hour and 15 minutes. I used to think
it was to do with the size (weight?) of the load but today is quite a
full load with what seems to be a fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.

Do you mean the time on the display, or the actual time taken? If on the
display, when did it show? As soon as you set it, or shortly after?

I'm used to mine revising the time mid cycle. For the 60° cotton wash it
starts at 2:42, then it might jump from 2:08 to 1:18 and end up taking
1:52. I assume this is because the time taken for the water to reach 60°
will depend of the amount of water which will depend on the size of the
load. (It tops up a few minutes after starting.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 11:43:50 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 05/06/2018 09:19, Scott wrote:
The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing machine
seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three hours. Today
it is claiming it will take one hour and 15 minutes. I used to think
it was to do with the size (weight?) of the load but today is quite a
full load with what seems to be a fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.

Do you mean the time on the display, or the actual time taken? If on the
display, when did it show? As soon as you set it, or shortly after?

I'm used to mine revising the time mid cycle. For the 60° cotton wash it
starts at 2:42, then it might jump from 2:08 to 1:18 and end up taking
1:52. I assume this is because the time taken for the water to reach 60°
will depend of the amount of water which will depend on the size of the
load. (It tops up a few minutes after starting.)

On the display after a bit of 'analysing' but is seems accurate. I
think Alan has hit the nail on the head in that the washing was bulky
more than heavy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have had similar, with mine I get an error message saying low water pressure, for which I just hit the start button and it tries again and is OK for 20mins or so depending on cycle. At one point it got really slow 9 hours for a 2 hour wash I then remmebered I hadn;t used that calgon for a few months, so I brought some more and while using it the firts wash time reduced by about 1/2 and I only needed to push the restar button 2-3 times rathen than closer to 10.

It could have been a coincidence but my washing times are a bit less than they were but it stil seems slow. I aslo noticed on reading the manual that sometimes a cycle won't start un less the drum can freely rotate and I did notice on the odd occasion where some clothes had managed to get inside a duvet cover that the mnachine had a bit of a problem turning and apparently that can cause the wash cycle to stop for a while then try to restart in the hope the washing gets redistributed around the drum. So there;s a couple of possibilities.

for record it's a zanussi FJS 1225 W from about 2006 IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've not had low water pressure but I have had 'unbalanced load' if
the load is too small. At least we don't need Calgon in Scotland.

It could have been a coincidence but my washing times are a bit less than they were but it stil seems slow. I aslo noticed on reading the manual that sometimes a cycle won't start un less the drum can freely rotate and I did notice on the odd occasion where some clothes had managed to get inside a duvet cover that the mnachine had a bit of a problem turning and apparently that can cause the wash cycle to stop for a while then try to restart in the hope the washing gets redistributed around the drum. So there;s a couple of possibilities.

The cynic in me says that - a bit like Volkswagen - slowing down the
cycle makes it easier to pass the testing process.

for record it's a zanussi FJS 1225 W from about 2006 IIRC.

I assume Mr P only intervenes where a certain individual starts the
thread :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 18:46:58 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 09:19 5 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing
machine seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three
hours. Today it is claiming it will take one hour and 15 minutes.
I used to think it was to do with the size (weight?) of the load
but today is quite a full load with what seems to be a fast cycle
time. I'm puzzled.

When my machine behaved like this it turned out to be due to worn
brushes.

Worn brushes speed up the wash? Things can only get better then :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09:19 5 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing
machine seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over three
hours. Today it is claiming it will take one hour and 15
minutes. I used to think it was to do with the size (weight?) of
the load but today is quite a full load with what seems to be a
fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.

When my machine behaved like this it turned out to be due to worn
brushes.

Worn brushes speed up the wash? Things can only get better then
:-)

Worn bushes extended the duration of the wash. New brushes corrected
it. It was a Bosch.

Since my post related to a shorter than expected wash time, can I
therefore assume that the brushes are not worn?

Perhaps is was caused by repeated attempts to rotate the drum failing
(which mught vary with load) until it got enough momentum to carry on.
Perhaps the programer timed out the operation. I'm just guessing as I
don't know why the new brushes worked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09:19 5 Jun 2018, Scott wrote:

The time taken for a 60 degree cotton wash in my LG washing
machine seems to vary enormously. Sometimes it takes over
three hours. Today it is claiming it will take one hour and
15 minutes. I used to think it was to do with the size
(weight?) of the load but today is quite a full load with what
seems to be a fast cycle time. I'm puzzled.

When my machine behaved like this it turned out to be due to
worn brushes.

Worn brushes speed up the wash? Things can only get better then
:-)

Worn bushes extended the duration of the wash. New brushes
corrected it. It was a Bosch.

Since my post related to a shorter than expected wash time, can I
therefore assume that the brushes are not worn?

When you say the machine "claims" you mean it's the predicted duration
on a display. Sorry, I misread that as the actual duration.

No, I was referring to an actual (estimated) duration. Forget the
word 'claims'. My point was that I put on a wash and it took about
one hour 15 minutes to complete. The same programme on other
occasions has taken over three hours.

Alan has helpfully pointed out that the load (in effect the amount of
water absorbed by the garments) affects the time, which makes sense as
the washing this morning was bulky rather than heavy.

I don't think worn brushes enter into the equation or washing times
would get longer and longer and this would not account for a reduction
from three hours to one and a bit hours
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sorry about the mix up. I was barking up the wrong tree.

At least it's all come out in the wash :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Mine cost 160 quid from Curry. Own brand. Delivered, installed and they took
the old one away.
It has been there for the past 7 years and washes fine.
When it cocks up I'll just buy a new one. I'm not dragging the thing out to
fix it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Similar to what I;ve found, I tried it empty too and it stil takes longer than I;d expect, I should time it properly. each displayed minute seems to take 3-4 times longer,depending on cycle.
Beginning to think maybe it;s a capacitor problem maybe timing, perhaps I should take it apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2018 18:38, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Mine cost 160 quid from Curry. Own brand. Delivered, installed and they took
the old one away.
It has been there for the past 7 years and washes fine.
When it cocks up I'll just buy a new one. I'm not dragging the thing out to
fix it.

+1
Mine cost around the same 6 years ago and isn't showing any problems.
For the number of washes its done I've got my moneys worth from it and
I'll just buy new when it starts playing up.

I'm of the opinion that the base models of washing machines have all the
necessary features for washing and you get very little extra by paying
2x or 3x more. It's like many items that have a large number of gimmick
features - played with once but never used in real life.

I also don't bother with extended warranties which add to the cost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 07:15:34 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

[snip]

I also don't bother with extended warranties which add to the cost.

John Lewis tried to sell me 'Added cover' for two years. It turns out
this covers accidental damage but not mechanical failure. Therefore
in year two the mainstream warranty has elapsed and you are getting
only accidental damage. This seems to me grossly misleading.

I pointed all this out and the department manager was fairly rude,
inviting me to complain to Trading Standards if I wanted to.
Eventually I gave up trying to get through to them on the phone so I
wrote to JL and got a gift voucher. (I did not pay for any extended
warranty.)

What mostly makes a small engine "wheeze" fast & slow, fast & slow, fast & slow? ultred ragnusen Home Repair 32 February 26th 18 08:29 PM
New House Problem #2: Indesit WIB111 Wash Machine - gunge in wash Java Jive[_2_] UK diy 23 April 1st 13 04:28 PM
Slow, slow, slow charlieb Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 05:43 PM
When to use 'Delicate wash' on washing machine? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 5th 07 06:01 AM
Bosch Washing Machine Pre-Wash Light Flashing Jo UK diy 2 November 10th 06 09:49 AM