Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing Florescent Lights in Garage

Currently we have 3 5ft florescent lights in our Garage (a double, side
by side one). The light level is good. The garage is used for some diy
work and a corner doubles as a utility area, besides (of course) being
used for cars etc.

However, I'm tired of replacing the tubes- there 'always' seems to be
one which needs to be replacing etc. (A bit of an overstatement but ....)

So, I'm considering LED replacements.

Just swapping the tubes (removing the starters and 'choke' is part of
the process I believe) is an option, as is new fittings.

However, I'm concerned about achieving enough light.

The existing tubes are 58W which, seem to give 5500 or so lumens (based
on an internet search).

To get a comparable output in lumens, it looks like I need 60W leds
(going by a Screwfix ad).

Am I missing something? I was hoping for lower power.

(The lumen numbers for florescent tubes seem to vary, the 5500 number is
one I found.)