Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Convert lock from key operated to combination?

We have a night latch - one of these:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-chrome-850075

What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert
this to combination lock?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
We have a night latch - one of these:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-chrome-850075

What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert this
to combination lock?

The easiest way, is to use an electric one. You would need to replace
the part which fixes onto the door frame (the latch ?), with a solenoid
operated version, then add a suitable keypad and logic somewhere near
the door.

I have one on the small side door of my garage. Which operates on 18v
DC from memory. You can set it with 6 to 8 number /letter code entry,
with four different user codes and a master code. So four different
people could have their own different entry code, one person leaves the
company, so just their code needs to be changed to a new one for a new
person.

Type one of the correct codes in and power is applied to the latch to
release it it hinge out of the way, but only for a preset few seconds
when it re-locks. A normal Yale type key can also be used as usual.

I got fed up of needing a key to get into my garage/workshop, so added
this instead. Now I just need to remember the entry code. I get in
fine, if I do it without thinking, but struggle to remember the code if
I think about it :-?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On a lock I often have to use on a charity rented room the keys are not in
the standard keypad order and are in two rows, so trying to get in when you
want to without sight can be a bit annoying to say the least!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
On a lock I often have to use on a charity rented room the keys are not in
the standard keypad order and are in two rows, so trying to get in when you
want to without sight can be a bit annoying to say the least!
Brian

Mine has three rows across, four down. 1 to 9 plus A, 0, B at the
bottom. I rely on muscle memory to press the right buttons, in the
correct order.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/05/2018 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a lock I often have to use on a charity rented room the keys are not in
the standard keypad order and are in two rows, so trying to get in when you
want to without sight can be a bit annoying to say the least!
Brian

Surely, for you, the combination is something like:

Col 1, row 3
Col 2, row 5
etc

Unless you have a reader that can read out the legends on each key, what
is written on them does not matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 31/05/2018 14:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
We have a night latch - one of these:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-chrome-850075

What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert
this to combination lock?

The easiest way, is to use an electric one. You would need to replace
the part which fixes onto the door frame (the latch ?), with a solenoid
operated version, then add a suitable keypad and logic somewhere near
the door.

I was hoping just to replace the cylinder with a combination version,
but I suspect that that does not exist. Due to location, it needs to be
mechanical.

I have one on the small side door of my garage. Which operates on 18v DC
from memory. You can set it with 6 to 8 number /letter code entry, with
four different user codes and a master code. So four different people
could have their own different entry code, one person leaves the
company, so just their code needs to be changed to a new one for a new
person.

Type one of the correct codes in and power is applied to the latch to
release it it hinge out of the way, but only for a preset few seconds
when it re-locks. A normal Yale type key can also be used as usual.

I got fed up of needing a key to get into my garage/workshop, so added
this instead. Now I just need to remember the entry code. I get in fine,
if I do it without thinking, but struggle to remember the code if I
think about it :-?

Interesting, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :
Does it have a pip on the 5?

Not that I have ever noticed, but I manage just fine even in the dark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
We have a night latch - one of these:
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-chrome-850075

What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert
this to combination lock?

The easiest way, is to use an electric one. You would need to replace
the part which fixes onto the door frame (the latch ?), with a solenoid
operated version, then add a suitable keypad and logic somewhere near
the door.

I was hoping just to replace the cylinder with a combination version,
but I suspect that that does not exist. Due to location, it needs to be
mechanical.

You could fit a mechanical code lock such as
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...-chrome-233214
but they are significantly less secure than the lock you are replacing
in that the 4 digit code can be entered in any order - so 1234 or 2431
etc will open the lock. Over time the 4 valid numbers tend to be easy
to spot by deposits of dirt etc on the number pads. (All mechanical
locks have this problem).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2018 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
On a lock I often have to use on a charity rented room the keys are not in
the standard keypad order and are in two rows, so trying to get in when you
want to without sight can be a bit annoying to say the least!
Brian

You would really like the ones that use an LCD touch pad and randomly
arrange the numbers each time they are used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
[...]

A bit pricey, but this any use?
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Yale-K...ital-Lock.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
[...]

Thanks, Richard. That does look like what I need. Shame it takes
batteries, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB posted
On 31/05/2018 19:42, Richard wrote:
A bit pricey, but this any use?
https://www.locksonline.co.uk/Yale-K...ital-Lock.html

Thanks, Richard. That does look like what I need. Shame it takes
batteries, though.

ERA does a much cheaper version, about £40 I think, available from All
Good Hardware Shops. No batteries. You can get even cheaper Chinese ones
on-line. They come as complete nightlatch kits but you can just fit the
keypad mechanism over the external face of the old key cylinder.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :
[...]

Mech locks can't have an increasingly longer wait between goes. Find a 4
ring combo padlock and see how long it takes to crack. So if its out of
sight any scally have have a look round your gaff.

Why have any external pad? Use bluetooth/wireless and phone.

If it can work a lamp it can work a latch solenoid.
https://openhomeautomation.net/contr...8266-wifi-chip

https://www.electriclock.net/electri...ase-12vdc.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to GB, aguerrier01 wrote:
I am in the USA and I got a padlock Master model M176 ;I forgot the
combination and I misplaced the key;how can you help to open it.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1291030-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://youtu.be/OEOmzZrEs6w?t=1m25s