manoman

Default Garage Power Shopping List

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Lighting + Suspension Accessories

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4
Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10
Steel Chain 10m Length

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door)
6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door)
1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1

Thanks

Phil

Jerry.

"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I

have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Lighting + Suspension Accessories

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4
Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10
Steel Chain 10m Length

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door)
6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door)
1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1

Two comments:
Why the pull switch and are you going to enclose the cables in mini trunking
or conduit for extra protection (I assume you will be using this garage for
more than just parking a car in) ?

chris French

In message , manoman
writes
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit

2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

Big garage :-)

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Metal clad I assume?

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

i'd have gone for a 20A for the sockets 'just in case' if possible, but
probably doesn't matter.

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

I'd run the cable in conduit. It gives the cable some extra protection
from damage, and it makes a much neater job, takes a little bit longer
and costs a bit more, but not dreadful.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Lurch

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:35:42 -0000, "manoman"
wrote:

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?
Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Lighting + Suspension Accessories

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4
Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10
Steel Chain 10m Length

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door)
6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door)
1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1

Trunking, for the drops to switch and sockets? Clip the cable round
the top of the garage and enclose the drops.
It does depend how you interpret the list, I could say screws, clips
and such, but you must have already thought of all that.
Other than that it's fine.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Tim \(Remove NOSPAM.

"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I

have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

Why not use 2 core?

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic
comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box connected
to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at shed.
[1]

Assuming TT system.

Tim..

Lurch

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:26:35 +0000 (UTC), " Tim \(Remove NOSPAM."
wrote:

"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if I

have
I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

Why not use 2 core?

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic
comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box connected
to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at shed.
[1]

Assuming TT system.

I think we're getting a little over complex here, see many previous
posts about earthing arrangements to outbuildings.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
manoman

Jerry. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for taking the time to look at this

Pull switch is for (wait for it) pulling on when i drive in the garage to
turn the light on through the window. Hope it is as cunning as it sounds.

And conduit... good idea which I will definately be using!

Thanks again, seems I havent done too bad in my list making

Phil

manoman

chris French wrote:
In message ,
manoman writes
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if
I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit

2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

Big garage :-)

Is 29 foot long big enough?

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Metal clad I assume?

Good point... will specify metal clad

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

i'd have gone for a 20A for the sockets 'just in case' if possible,
but probably doesn't matter.

OK... can always replace with 20A later

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

I'd run the cable in conduit. It gives the cable some extra protection
from damage, and it makes a much neater job, takes a little bit
longer and costs a bit more, but not dreadful.

Definately seems a good idea using the conduit, thanks for taking the time
to look and help me out

Phil

manoman

wrote:

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if
I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one type is
sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

Power Sockets

13A Double Switched Socket x 4
2G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 4

Lighting + Suspension Accessories

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4
Galvanised Steel Suspension Clip x 10
Steel Chain 10m Length

Mini Consumer Unit:

Garage Unit 40A/30MA + 16A,6A MCB

Light Switches for 2 zone lighting:

Ceiling Pullcord Switch 10Amp 2 way x1 (For just inside garage door)
6Amp 2Way 2Gang Plate Switch x 1 (for just inside access door)
1G 32mm Square Corner Socket Box x 1

Trunking, for the drops to switch and sockets? Clip the cable round
the top of the garage and enclose the drops.
It does depend how you interpret the list, I could say screws, clips
and such, but you must have already thought of all that.
Other than that it's fine.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Conduit.... seems to be my major miss out... thanks for looking at my list
and suggesting improvments

Phil

manoman

Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if
I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic
comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box
connected to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at
shed. [1]

Assuming TT system.

Tim..

I intend to share the earth with my house... is that so bad?

Thanks for looking and suggesting the improvement though

Phil

chris French

In message , manoman
writes
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if
I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end (plastic
comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock out box
connected to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at
shed. [1]

Assuming TT system.

Tim..

I intend to share the earth with my house... is that so bad?

No, there are pro's and cons, much discussed here already. Unless the
garage was a fair distance from the house I wouldn't bother with a
separate earth.
--
Chris French, Leeds
manoman

chris French wrote:
In message ,
manoman writes
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see
if I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You'll use the armour as the earth- isolated at the shed end
(plastic comsumer unit) and connected at the house end (metal knock
out box connected to earth- NB 10mm2 cable here please)

You'll need some more 10mm2 earth cable and a copper earth spike at
shed. [1]

Assuming TT system.

Tim..

I intend to share the earth with my house... is that so bad?

No, there are pro's and cons, much discussed here already. Unless the
garage was a fair distance from the house I wouldn't bother with a
separate earth.

nah... its like 3m max away from the consumer unit, not even sure I need the
aforementioned reel but I cant find it priced per metre anywhere

Phil

Andy Hall

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:38:52 -0000, "manoman"
wrote:

chris French wrote:
In message ,
manoman writes
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
[...]

TLC www.tlc-direct.co.uk sell it by the metre.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
manoman

Andy Hall wrote:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:38:52 -0000, "manoman"
wrote:

chris French wrote:
In message ,
manoman writes
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. wrote:
"manoman" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

Harry Bloomfield

On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-
Pull switch is for (wait for it) pulling on when i drive in the garage to
turn the light on through the window. Hope it is as cunning as it sounds.

Fit a PIR to turn a light on :-)

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Harry Bloomfield

On 15/02/2004 manoman a wrote :
Is 29 foot long big enough?

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Andy Hall

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:46:31 -0000, "manoman"
wrote:

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

They'll ship it.

For orders under £150 cost is £5.

You might want to cost your shopping list on their site, they are
usually competitive.

Alternatively, if you want to visit a trade counter, try WF
Electrical. They will normally do a deal and have branches over
most of the country. The will cut lengths of SWA as well and will
deliver within reason.

www.wf-online.com

WF and TLC have own brand stuff which is quite similar. WF's Alto
range for lights etc. is pretty good.

While I think of it, if you are putting fluorescents in a garage, you
might want to consider electronic ballasted ones. They cost a bit
more but work well in cold weather and don't flicker.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

manoman wrote:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You only need two core because you can use the shield as earth. If
exporting the house earth then you can use a metal consumer unit in the
garage and the glands should ensure the earths are well tied together.

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4

Diffusers? I know the ones fitted to the lights in my workshop have
saved a tube on a number of occasions when I have clomped it with a lump
of 2x4!

--
Cheers,

John.

chris French

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

They'll ship it.

I had no problem getting cut lengths of SWA from a local trade counter.

I'm just wondering if this cable is going underground or overground. If
the former, then I'd probably use Hi-Tuf instead as it's a bit easier to
work with.
--
Chris French, Leeds
chris French

In message , John Rumm
writes
manoman wrote:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You only need two core because you can use the shield as earth.

I've got this idea floating around in my head that if you are exporting
the earth you are not supposed to use the sheath for this.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Lurch

wrote:

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see if
I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one type is
sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

Well, doing 2 way lighting circuits with 2.5 is a little tricky, if
you're worried about having too much cable why not buy it by the
metre.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 07:17:54 +0000, chris French
wrote:

In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

They'll ship it.

I had no problem getting cut lengths of SWA from a local trade counter.

I'm just wondering if this cable is going underground or overground. If
the former, then I'd probably use Hi-Tuf instead as it's a bit easier to
work with.

I assume you mean the latter?

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

I've got this idea floating around in my head that if you are exporting
the earth you are not supposed to use the sheath for this.

Leave it! It's been discussed many a time here. 3 core is fine for
what the OP wants, don't confuse him.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Harry Bloomfield

On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-
1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one type is
sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

You will find out in trying to wire the lighting in 2.5mm, that you can
only get one 2.5mm core into each lighting circuit terminal.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

The Right Rev. Peter Parsnip

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry
Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

How bright is the light in your NetKKKoping Room, Harold?

--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874

"A ******* shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his
tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord."
- Deuteronomy 23:2

manoman

wrote:

I would really appreciate it if you guys could look at this a see
if I have I missed anything obvious?

Cable:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil
BW20S Indoor Gland Kit
2.5mm T&E 100m Reel

1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one
type is sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

Well, doing 2 way lighting circuits with 2.5 is a little tricky, if
you're worried about having too much cable why not buy it by the
metre.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Thanks, this is why I asked, this is all very useful stuff. I'll get two
lots of cable for this, probably still get reels, but smaller ones.

Thanks again

Phil

manoman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-
1mm twin and earth and 3 core and earth for the two way and lighting
circuit
?

Well I guess, but that means two lots of cable when a reel of one
type is sooooo cheap. Any benefit to using 1mm?

You will find out in trying to wire the lighting in 2.5mm, that you
can only get one 2.5mm core into each lighting circuit terminal.

Thanks for that, I'll definately be using the 1mm stuff now

Phil

manoman

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information.

Can I get those from Screwfix Andy?

Phil

manoman

chris French wrote:
In message , Andy Hall
writes
wrote:

Thanks andy, know anywhere in the north ?

Phil

They'll ship it.

I had no problem getting cut lengths of SWA from a local trade
counter.

I'm just wondering if this cable is going underground or overground.
If the former, then I'd probably use Hi-Tuf instead as it's a bit
easier to work with.

Its going underground and under garage base

Phil

manoman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 15/02/2004 manoman opined:-
Pull switch is for (wait for it) pulling on when i drive in the
garage to turn the light on through the window. Hope it is as
cunning as it sounds.

Fit a PIR to turn a light on :-)

oooh.... I like it!! Will definately look into that!!

Phil

manoman

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 15/02/2004 manoman a wrote :
Is 29 foot long big enough?

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

Really? I don't know how many I would need for it to be well lit.

It will be a 29 x 9 foot garage

Phil

manoman

John Rumm wrote:
manoman wrote:

3core x 4mm Armoured Black 25m Coil

You only need two core because you can use the shield as earth. If
exporting the house earth then you can use a metal consumer unit in
the garage and the glands should ensure the earths are well tied
together.

Fluorescent Fitting 1200mm 36W x 4
Fluroescent Tube 26mmx1200mm 36W x 4

Diffusers? I know the ones fitted to the lights in my workshop have
saved a tube on a number of occasions when I have clomped it with a
lump of 2x4!

I may add diffusers later but the cost is stopping me at the moment. It
increase the cost significantly as far as I can see.

I am just going to use the earth within the cable if thats still ok when I
export my earth.

Phil

manoman

Lurch wrote:
I've got this idea floating around in my head that if you are
exporting the earth you are not supposed to use the sheath for this.

Leave it! It's been discussed many a time here. 3 core is fine for
what the OP wants, don't confuse him.
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

yes please.... don't confuse me...its daunting enough already. I do stuff
like this all day but for some reason because its my own I am getting
paranoid. I would hate someone coming to my house and thinking I had done a
half-assed job.

Phil

Andy Hall

wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen them there.

Again, TLC have them, as do WF and any other trade supplier, although
they may have to order them in - normally 2-3 days.

Here's an example.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FGDP58slashHF.html

You can get fittings without covers with the electronic ballasts and
you can also buy the ballasts separately to put in a standard fitting,
but it's generally cheaper to buy them in the fitting.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Rumm

manoman wrote:

I may add diffusers later but the cost is stopping me at the moment. It
increase the cost significantly as far as I can see.

TLC are doing single 5' diffusers for 7 quid each - so probably not
going to break the bank. I think I paid less than that at my local
electrical wholesalers (about 6 quid for two IIRC).

I am just going to use the earth within the cable if thats still ok when I
export my earth.

That is fine. You should also connect the screen at the source end to
give better protection to the cable (having said that - if it is buried
under concrete then it is not going to make much difference!)

--
Cheers,

John.

The Left Rev. P. Parsnipe

The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Pirx Teh
Caravan Pilot, and I thusly replied:

In article m,
The Right Rev. Peter Parsnip
wrote:
The Lord alerted my mind to the presence of this EVIL article by Harry
Bloomfield, and I thusly replied:

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

How bright is the light in your NetKKKoping Room, Harold?

Surely it's a special corner of his caravan? As he feverishly types, his
bald pate reflects the light of the gas mantle.

I like the sound of that. Let's hear more stories about it.

--
The Reverend Parson Peter Parsnip
Smiting Sinful Usenet Users Since 1874

"A ******* shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his
tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord."
- Deuteronomy 23:2
Lurch

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 23:07:47 -0000, "manoman"
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 15/02/2004 manoman a wrote :
Is 29 foot long big enough?

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

Really? I don't know how many I would need for it to be well lit.

It will be a 29 x 9 foot garage

What you've got will light it ok for general purpose parking of a car
but for workshop use I would find it inadequate. I would use the
fittings you have, sideways on and equally spaced up the length of the
garage and put some extra lighting over any workbenches.
My garage is about 5m x 2.5m and I have 3x 5' twins, probably overkill
but I can definitely see what I'm doing!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
manoman

wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
On 15/02/2004 manoman a wrote :
Is 29 foot long big enough?

The lighting seems to be inadequate if you intend to do any serious
work in there.

Really? I don't know how many I would need for it to be well lit.

It will be a 29 x 9 foot garage

What you've got will light it ok for general purpose parking of a car
but for workshop use I would find it inadequate. I would use the
fittings you have, sideways on and equally spaced up the length of the
garage and put some extra lighting over any workbenches.
My garage is about 5m x 2.5m and I have 3x 5' twins, probably overkill
but I can definitely see what I'm doing!
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the back half to
have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I will be rethinking the
lighting then if I can get hold of a proper hood for above the table.

Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop

Phil

Lurch

Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the back half to
have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I will be rethinking the
lighting then if I can get hold of a proper hood for above the table.

Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop

That's the best use for the back half of a garage as far as I can see!
I'm thinking of putting my pool table in the lounge, the garage is
full!

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
manoman

Lurch wrote:
Well its kind of a temporary arrangement as I plan to use the back
half to have a reconditioned pub pool table in, and I will be
rethinking the lighting then if I can get hold of a proper hood for
above the table.

Thats the plan anyway... more of a play pen than a workshop

That's the best use for the back half of a garage as far as I can see!
I'm thinking of putting my pool table in the lounge, the garage is
full!
..

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Was thinking if I couldn't get hold of a proper hood that i could use an oil
barrel cleaned out split in half and sprayed silver inside, black outside,
and mount some lights inside it.

Its a theory anyway, and an amusing project even if it doesnt work out

Phil