Chris Holmes

Default Anti WD- 40

I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

ie something that "sticks free mechanisms" rather than freeing stuck
ones.

It's the sunroof handle in the car, it's supposed to fold up into the
"roof", but it's got brewers droop.

I have tried coating the hinge with rasberry jam (This worked well on
the ball and socket joint on the door mirror of my last car when it
wouldn't stay put) but I didn't have any English jam to hand only
some nasty French stuff.

Any suggestions for what else I might try?
Grunff

Chris Holmes wrote:

I have tried coating the hinge with rasberry jam (This worked well on
the ball and socket joint on the door mirror of my last car when it
wouldn't stay put) but I didn't have any English jam to hand only
some nasty French stuff.

I think you're trolling, but just in case you aren't...

Remove the handle, and bend the pivot pin slightly. Then put it
back together.

--
Grunff

Brian

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message
om...
I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

ie something that "sticks free mechanisms" rather than freeing stuck
ones.

It's the sunroof handle in the car, it's supposed to fold up into the
"roof", but it's got brewers droop.

I have tried coating the hinge with rasberry jam (This worked well on
the ball and socket joint on the door mirror of my last car when it
wouldn't stay put) but I didn't have any English jam to hand only
some nasty French stuff.

Any suggestions for what else I might try?

Could you not milk the subject and try using freshly whipped cream mixed
with the raspberry jam - I find this very useful apart from the obvious....
lol

Brian

The Q

"Chris Holmes" wrote in message
om...
I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

ie something that "sticks free mechanisms" rather than freeing stuck
ones.

It's the sunroof handle in the car, it's supposed to fold up into the
"roof", but it's got brewers droop.

I have tried coating the hinge with rasberry jam (This worked well on
the ball and socket joint on the door mirror of my last car when it
wouldn't stay put) but I didn't have any English jam to hand only
some nasty French stuff.

Any suggestions for what else I might try?

It's called Locktite, available in various grades from vaguely stopping
removal, to No ******** chance of removal.
An Airborne radar I once worked on had the wrong type labled on it So when
you tried to remove the cover for service almost every Screw head broke
off.!!!

The Q

The Natural Philosopher

Chris Holmes wrote:

I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

ie something that "sticks free mechanisms" rather than freeing stuck
ones.

Superglue. Just keep wiggling as it sets, and spread something
underneath to catch the drops.

Its totally siezed a micro ballrace I had :-(

It's the sunroof handle in the car, it's supposed to fold up into the
"roof", but it's got brewers droop.

I have tried coating the hinge with rasberry jam (This worked well on
the ball and socket joint on the door mirror of my last car when it
wouldn't stay put) but I didn't have any English jam to hand only
some nasty French stuff.

Any suggestions for what else I might try?

Chris

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:57:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

Chris Holmes wrote:

I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

My favorites use for WD-40 is removing the top cover off my printer
ribbons (dot Matrix) giving a good spray on to the dried up ribbon and
left to stand over night.

It will extending the life of the ribbon for up to 2 weeks or more.

I have been doing this for years on 2 different printers (over about
12 years.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris wrote:
My favorites use for WD-40 is removing the top cover off my printer
ribbons (dot Matrix) giving a good spray on to the dried up ribbon and
left to stand over night.

It will extending the life of the ribbon for up to 2 weeks or more.

Nice to know someone's actually found a good use for the stuff.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

RichardS

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:30:59 +0100, Chris wrote:

My favorites use for WD-40 is removing the top cover off my printer
ribbons (dot Matrix) giving a good spray on to the dried up ribbon and
left to stand over night.

I have a horror story regarding WD40.

I bought a small shredder from a local supplier a while back. It was
hardly used, just the occasional scrap of paper.

A couple of weeks back my wife decided to have a good clearout of bank
statements and the like going back over 20 years (heaven knows why we
kept this stuff so long, but that's another story).

Anyway, after a few sheets the shredder started jamming. So I said "no
problem, I've got a can of shredder oil". I'd bought that shredder oil
in the same office supplier, and it was clearly marked "shredder
lubricant".

Within a nanosecond of spraying the shredder mechanism we both said
"WD40!".

Not too many sheets later and the shredder was bu****ed. I stripped it
out and all the grease had been removed from the shredder bearings.
Shredder was binned.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk

I also have a bad habit of hoarding this kind of financial information - I'm
told by my accountant that I really shouldn't. The reason? Tax. Now, I
spend good money making sure that I pay the correct amount of tax - what I;m
supposed to, but no more. Life and the IR being what it is, though, it is
always likely that a routine check could come my way. Documentation has to
be kept for a statutory amount of time, 6years IIRC. IR investigations can
limit on this), they can go back another 6 years. But not if you don't have
the documentation (and that is, AIUI, completely legal)!

Think I'll buy a shredder, and the correct oil!

Another incorrect oil usage horror anecdote is when I was first learning to
play a brass instrument back in junior school. One of the kids was moved
onto a trombone. Delicate instruments, trombones.... he took it home, and
within the first week or two the slide was sticking slightly (oiling
generally only took place during weekly lessons). His dad decided that the
best thing was "ultra-thin oil" which turned out to be ... 3-in-1 !!!! Of
course the slide action after that was something as easy as trying to run
through a thick mud pool. The brass teacher spent about 30 minutes with
washing up liquid trying to flush all remnants of that stuff out.... at
that age I don't think I understood half of the words that he uttered.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid writes:

Think I'll buy a shredder, and the correct oil!

Another incorrect oil usage horror anecdote is when I was first learning to
play a brass instrument back in junior school. One of the kids was moved
onto a trombone. Delicate instruments, trombones.... he took it home, and
within the first week or two the slide was sticking slightly (oiling
generally only took place during weekly lessons). His dad decided that the
best thing was "ultra-thin oil" which turned out to be ... 3-in-1 !!!! Of
course the slide action after that was something as easy as trying to run
through a thick mud pool. The brass teacher spent about 30 minutes with
washing up liquid trying to flush all remnants of that stuff out.... at
that age I don't think I understood half of the words that he uttered.

I recall my brother doing something not unrelated when learning
the trumpet (he's now a professional trumpet player). One of the
small tuning slides on his trumpet had got a little too stiff to
slide and get into the right position, and being on-stage at the
time, he didn't have the oil with him. Instead, he borrowed the
slide oil from the trombone player next to him. It worked
wonderfully well, so much so that the trumpet tuning slide
wouldn't stay in place at all, and a good strong blow blew it
right off...

A former boss of mine used to play trombone in a local amateur
jazz band. I think that just before the concert, he must have
given his trombone a cleaning and oiling that it would not
often get. Anyway, partway through the concert, whilst pushing
the mute into the end of the trombone and making sure it is
firmly in so it doesn't fall out onto the stage with an
embarrassing crash, his nicely oiled trombone slide let loose
and went crashing at some speed through two rows of wind
players down a stepped stage, before coming to rest on the
floor just near the conductor.

--
Andrew Gabriel
rob

wrote:

BigWallop wrote:

Chris Holmes wrote:

I know a number here are not fans of WD-40, but anyways....

I am looking for suggestons for Anti WD-40.

My favorites use for WD-40 is removing the top cover off my printer
ribbons (dot Matrix) giving a good spray on to the dried up ribbon and
left to stand over night.

It will extending the life of the ribbon for up to 2 weeks or more.

I have been doing this for years on 2 different printers (over about
12 years.

SWMBO has just spent an ungodly sum of money on new stainless steel
appliances from an industrial kitchen supplier and whilst in the shop she
wanted to buy some 'special' stainless steel cleaner to keep fingermarks at
bay.

The guy in the shop stated that it was all a waste of money and all that you
needed was a couple of squirts of WD40 on a soft cloth and then just wipe.

SWMBO was quite disappointed that she wasn't able to add a new 'product' to
the supermarket of them under the sink ;-)

So far we have only tried using this method on the door of the dishwasher
only (other appliances not yet fitted) and it worked a treat.

Rob

roger

In article , rob
writes

The guy in the shop stated that it was all a waste of money and all that you
needed was a couple of squirts of WD40 on a soft cloth and then just wipe.

SWMBO was quite disappointed that she wasn't able to add a new 'product' to
the supermarket of them under the sink ;-)

So far we have only tried using this method on the door of the dishwasher
only (other appliances not yet fitted) and it worked a treat.

Surely there is something already in the kitchen which would do as well,
but not bring that beautiful factory-floor aroma into the house where it
will not be appreciated by the barbarians?
I can just imagine my daughter coming in and asking "Has the dog been
sick in here?"
--
roger

delete x's to email
Owain

"rob" wrote
| There is actually very little smell

I like the smell of WD40 :-)

| Also SWMBO doesn't understand that the 15 or so bottles under the sink are
| all basically the same thing - she has to have one for windows, one for
the
| worksurface, one for the floor etc etc (and WD40 is ALOT cheaper than SS
| cleaner) ;-)

My mother once found she was getting a lovely shine on the windows, but a
slightly more-powerful than usual smell, when she reached for the Wasp
Killer instead of the Windowlene.

I once bought a jumbo economy super saver bottle of shampoo. It turned out
to be not nice as shampoo, but it was fine for dish-washing.

Owain

rob

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
rob wrote:
There is actually very little smell and it dissapates quickly - you
don't squirt it on the appliance but have an impregnated cloth and give
it a quick wipe over.

That's probably the safest way - I don't think you want to go squirting
it around a working kitchen as it's pretty inflammable.

--
*Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

I see what you mean, mind you as we both work full time not much cooking
gets done anyway.

At present it's one of those "this would be good to use if we had the time"
kitchens ;-)

Rob

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:09:15 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,

Nice to know someone's actually found a good use for the stuff.

I was once told that in the early days of BBC sports OBs when the
slo-mos came from huge disk players (2 inch tape not being able to
play at anything but normal speed) - some bright spark found the heads
could be made to last longer by coating the disk in WD40. Maybe total
rubbish.......
Chris Holmes

To get back to the subject, (Back from camping hol now, sorry I missed
the London Meat)

Locktite ect would be no good as I still want to be able to pull the
handle down, just don't want it fallig down. Will try the pivot pin
bending suggestion if I can manage to drive it out.

Failing that, i'll try salted butter as suggested by one poster (Hmm..
might make an interesting change from the strawberry jam and whipped
cream in other situations too! :=))
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Chris Holmes wrote:
Failing that, i'll try salted butter as suggested by one poster (Hmm..
might make an interesting change from the strawberry jam and whipped
cream in other situations too! :=))

You could try some silicone sealant - just a spot. When dry, operate the
handle to 'shear' it. With a bit of luck it will provide some friction.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Chris Holmes

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Chris Holmes" wrote
| Failing that, i'll try salted butter as suggested by one poster
| (Hmm.. might make an interesting change from the strawberry jam
| and whipped cream in other situations too! :=))

Patum Peperium?

Dunno about that, but someone round here suggested that Perineum (sp?)
is Latin for chin rest :=))