Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

Default OT Time wasters - rant - selling motorbike security chain

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article .uk,
The Older Gentleman wrote:
I am an eBay business seller and use Parcel2Go all the time - they're
good. And I use UPS as my preferred courier.

Ah - UPS. CPC used then for a while. They put cards through the door
without even ringing the door bell. On several ocassions. CPC no longer
use them here for their 'free' deliveries after lots of complaints.

So use one you *do* like then - parcel2go aggregate lots of different
couriers on the one site so you can choose which you fancy, and the
prices are usually significantly less than going to the courier direct.

I've had zero problems with Hermes. Now my preferred method of sending
things. They have a drop off point more convenient than my local post
office. As well as being cheaper. The convenient drop off place would
likely influence me most - as otherwise I doubt there's much to pick and
choose between them.

+1

I also found that in particular for small/light items booking with them
directly rather than through one of the aggregators (parcel2go,
interparcel) is actually cheaper, in particular when added insurance is
required (which the aggregators seem to slap a hefty margin on).
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On 24/04/2018 23:23, Mike Fleming wrote:
In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes:

I've had zero problems with Hermes. Now my preferred method of sending
things. They have a drop off point more convenient than my local post
office. As well as being cheaper. The convenient drop off place would
likely influence me most - as otherwise I doubt there's much to pick and
choose between them.

Hermes and Yodel have both regularly dropped parcels over my garden
gate and left them on my front doorstep.

We had a big anniversary last year.

I ordered an expensive (several £000's) customised item of jewellery for
the missus from a US online retailer. We were out of the country at the
time, so I timed the order so that the parcel would be delivered in or
around the time when we come back. My plan was that even if it arrived a
day or two earlier then I would just go and collect it from the depot or
arrange a re-delivery.

On our return we found a card from the floor from UPS: "left on porch as
requested"... Needless to say that such instructions were never given.

Horrified (our front door is in full view of the main road) & trying to
find their contact number, our elderly neighbour who is always happy to
receive our parcels when we are out knocked on the door with it in his
hand. "I was walking past your house and noticed that there was a parcel
there for quite a few days and didn't want it to get wet so took it in".
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:20:32 +0000, David wrote:

Some time ago I took advice on uk.rec.motorcycles about the possible
value of a Squire padlock, chain and bag for securing a motorcycle.

After due consideration I listed it on Gumtree for £25 (including
another lighter spare chain).

One person interested (apparently) conversation over some days went
roughly:

Still got it?

Yes.

What's your best price?

As listed.

Any movement on the price yet?

No. Must be worth at least £100 new.

O.K. fair enough - will you post it? (!!!!!!!)

Yes. Squire chain etc. weighs 5.9 kilos cost of postage is £20.50 via
Royal Mail. Extra chain weighs 3.1 kilos and postage would cover that as
well. Just send me a cheque for the cost including postage, and once it
has cleared I'll send the chain.

Strangely, it has all gone quiet.

Contemplating a few points, such as Gumtree shows your approximate
location, this person presumably has a motorbike then what is the issue
with turning up and paying cash?

Is this some sort of scam where Gumtree is trawled to find a trusting
soul who will post off goods without money up front?

Or is this an idiot who hasn't even worked out that motorcycle security
chains are HEAVY?

Ah, well, better with that off my chest.

Thanks for all the responses - learned quite a bit about shipping stuff.

Next step is to re-list the chain for £30 so that when someone says "Take
£25 for it?" I can reluctantly agree. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 12:19:52 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Just sold at asking price, with another keen to buy as well.
Both tried to negotiate down initially.

Buyer sent his boss round to pick up the chain (also a biker).
We chatted, and I said people kept trying to negotiate down
He said the buyer had said the same to him and his response was to grab it
at that price, because he'd bought one new a couple of years back and it
cost over £100.

Nice to see a bit of sanity in the world at last.

Any way, memo to self; always list at a higher price than you want so you
can negotiate. Probably less pain in the long run and perhaps someone will
offer asking price anyway.

Cheers

Dave R

---