Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Builders and electrics

So they need to remove some lights to take down a ceiling at a school.

Not a problem, turn the lights off at the switch and then just cut one
of the three T&E cables going to the first light.

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was
fitted I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires
together"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 15:38:54 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
So they need to remove some lights to take down a ceiling at a school.

That would be covered by a full Method Statement and Risk Assessment, then.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes well if they don't know then they should ask somebody who does. I would
have thought that people in the building trade ought to know that the
unstitched live is always present at the light socket as well, how do they
think it got there? Black magic?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"ARW" wrote in message
So they need to remove some lights to take down a ceiling at a school.

Not a problem, turn the lights off at the switch and then just cut one of
the three T&E cables going to the first light.

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts he
would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug it in a
spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power came back on
or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the generator running. OK
so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No idea of what current stuff
uses.
Brian

--
----- -

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was fitted
I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires together"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts he
would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug it in a
spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power came back on
or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the generator running. OK
so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No idea of what current stuff
uses.

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off:
A cable with a plug each end.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2018 20:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case.

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary
school child he comes across..

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 April 2018 23:08:08 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off:
A cable with a plug each end.

The DNOs have this sort of kit, with safeguards, for exactly this purpose.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
ARW wrote:

"I don't understand why it went bang I had turned off the lights"

"To keep it safe until the ceiling was re-boarded and new rose was fitted
I connected all the red wires together and all the black wires together"

It's called a"Jesus cord".
If you're going to do it, the mains has to be turned off to isolate you from everywhere else while your local generator is running

The danger is you can have a cable with a plug on the end with live pins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/04/2018 23:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/04/2018 20:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case.

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary
school child he comes across..

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 08:34, ARW wrote:
On 21/04/2018 23:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/04/2018 20:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case.

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary
school child he comes across..

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupils with an exclusion reason of physical assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2018-04-22, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/18 08:34, ARW wrote:
On 21/04/2018 23:10, Max Demian wrote:
On 21/04/2018 20:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably the kids knew more than the builders in that case.

Yes, but an unaccompanied male will automatically shag any primary
school child he comes across..

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

It's probably to protect him against accusations of "inappropriate behaviour"
by the brats.

That and they can also be look out so my tools are not stolen.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch
(leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the
urinal and then **** on it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2018-04-22, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch
(leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the
urinal and then **** on it.

If it were up to me, that's how it would stay, too.

Even if it was in the teachers' loo?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch
(leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the
urinal and then **** on it.

But at least the teachers are no longer allowed to apply corporal
punishment...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/04/2018 12:40, wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupils with an exclusion reason of physical assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more force
than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 14:45, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 12:40, wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim WattsÂ* wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.
Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupilsÂ* with an exclusion reason of physical
assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more force
than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

Maybe you should invest in one of those body cams like the police and
high-court bailiffs wear ?.

Could be useful for any situation where the client shows signs of
amnesia or is unable to make a firm decision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch
(leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the
urinal and then **** on it.

Must be all this new-fangled Aspergers syndrome that seems to be
the fashion these days amongst educationalists.

When I was in school we just used to nick the light bulbs and
lob them into the cistern above the urinal, so they made a nice
clinking noise as it flushed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 14:45, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 12:40, wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim WattsÂ* wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.
Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupilsÂ* with an exclusion reason of physical
assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more force
than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

Yes I can see that. It's a sad world we live in now... I had to have a
DBS just to help a school with editing some fete photos (really!) and
off site. I was never unaccompanied on school premises.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 15:36, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/18 14:45, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 12:40, wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim WattsÂ* wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.
Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupilsÂ* with an exclusion reason of physical
assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more
force than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

Yes I can see that. It's a sad world we live in now... I had to have a
DBS just to help a school with editing some fete photos (really!) and
off site. I was never unaccompanied on school premises.

s/sad/stupid/

Serves no purpose whatever other than to placate the Rantzens of this world.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:08:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts
he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug
it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power
came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the
generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No
idea of what current stuff uses.

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off:
A cable with a plug each end.

Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is American
but two possibilities spring to mind,

"A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm right
about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it
electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected
surprise!". :-)

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian writes:

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut
off: A cable with a plug each end.

In the hall of residence we only had 2A round pin sockets, 3 or 4 rooms
shared a single fuse. The fuse was easily blown. Someone had the bright
idea of doing exactly the above. Shame that the rooms that he had wired
together were on different phases when the power came back on.

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light switch
(leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch into the
urinal and then **** on it.

One school I worked at someone shat in the staffroom kettle.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 22/04/2018 20:00, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
Shame that the rooms that he had wired
together were on different phases when the power came back on.

Oh we did that a couple of weeks ago.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 20:00, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
Max Demian writes:

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut
off: A cable with a plug each end.

In the hall of residence we only had 2A round pin sockets, 3 or 4 rooms
shared a single fuse. The fuse was easily blown. Someone had the bright
idea of doing exactly the above. Shame that the rooms that he had wired
together were on different phases when the power came back on.

York Uni did that in some of the blocks - only I think it was the whole
corridor that went black when someone put a toaster on!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 19:07, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

I think they have Jesus Bolts on Helicopters and a Jesus pins on Hang
gliders. Maybe the name depends on the cultural religion ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 22:40, Robert wrote:
On 22/04/2018 19:07, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:08:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power cuts
he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator and plug
it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when the power
came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around with the
generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well, I mean. No
idea of what current stuff uses.

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut off:
A cable with a plug each end.

Â* Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is
American
but two possibilities spring to mind,

Â* "A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm right
about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it
electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected
surprise!". :-)

I think they have Jesus Bolts on Helicopters

Jesus Nut on a Huey - according to the book I've just read (Chickehawk).

And I have heard that elsewhere.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 14:45, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 12:40, wrote:
On Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:25:28 UTC+1, Tim WattsÂ* wrote:
I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.
Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

113 primary school pupilsÂ* with an exclusion reason of physical
assault against an adult in year 16/17.

Not Tower Hamlets.

https://new.devon.gov.uk/accesstoinf...ults-in-school

If one of them tried to assault me I would respond with a lot more
force than they were expecting.

It is as Hugh says, to stop allegations.

Yes I can see that. It's a sad world we live in now... I had to have a
DBS just to help a school with editing some fete photos (really!) and
off site. I was never unaccompanied on school premises.

Last year our middle son performed a major role in his primary school's
year 6 leaving play, with lots of lines, a number of songs and a couple
of solo sections - this was particularly significant for us as he'd had
confidence issues after a prolonged period of bullying and had only
moved schools the year before.

Parents, grandparents, etc. (as usual) were allowed to film, as long as
they agreed not to put it on the internet. However, one parent managed
to arrange for his nephew (a final year cinematography student) to film
it for us all. The school barred him, because they wouldn't accept him
editing the video off the premises - despite parents being able to take
their recordings home and him being a relative!

Instead, the school arranged to record it for us, so no-one else
bothered. During the first performance, they messed up the recording and
during the second, the battery died.

They said they'd try and edit the two perfomances together. Nothing ever
appeared and we are left with no video, just a few stills that I took
myself.

Next year, our youngest will be leaving the same school. I will ensure
that I video his performance myself!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 14:37, Tim Watts wrote:
On 22/04/18 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied
in schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light
switch (leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch
into the urinal and then **** on it.

But at least the teachers are no longer allowed to apply corporal
punishment...

How I wish that corporal punishment still existed! It was abolished
shortly before I left school. In my first year at secondary school,
there was very little misbehaviour. CP was abolished while I was there.
By my final year, behaviour had deteriorated markedly.

The only problem with it for me was that although I only received it
once - I was not actually guilty of what I'd been accused of!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:44:25 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

On 22/04/2018 22:40, Robert wrote:
On 22/04/2018 19:07, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:08:02 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 21/04/2018 20:52, Brian Gaff wrote:
Not like the guy who decided that when there were a lot of power
cuts he would simply wire a 13amp plug to the end of his generator
and plug it in a spare socket. I am glad I was not at his house when
the power came back on or indeed when he left the plug lying around
with the generator running. OK so he turned the mains off, but well,
I mean. No idea of what current stuff uses.

A useful way to 'lend' electricity to a neighbour who has been cut
off:
A cable with a plug each end.

Â* Aka a "Jesus cord". I'm not sure of its origin which I think is
American but two possibilities spring to mind,

Â* "A JESUS H. CHRIST!" that was a nasty shock "Cord" (120vac if I'm
Â* right
about its American origin) or else named for the moment after it
electrocutes you and you get to say "Hi Jesus! What an unexpected
surprise!". :-)

I think they have Jesus Bolts on Helicopters

Jesus Nut on a Huey - according to the book I've just read (Chickehawk).

And I have heard that elsewhere.

I think the etymology in these cases arises out of what you'd scream out
loud if they were to fail catastrophically. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 14:37:19 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 22/04/18 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied in
schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light
switch (leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch
into the urinal and then **** on it.

But at least the teachers are no longer allowed to apply corporal
punishment...

With the way schools are having to rely on sponsorship deals to mitigate
inadequate state funding, they may be allowed to inflict corporate
punishment instead.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:

Jesus Nut on a Huey

I think the etymology in these cases arises out of what you'd scream out
loud if they were to fail catastrophically.

I though it was based on who you'd be meeting next if it failed?
Maybe they should be called St Peter nuts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 20:26, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/04/2018 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied
in schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light
switch (leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch
into the urinal and then **** on it.

One school I worked at someone shat in the staffroom kettle.

Bill

happens regularly at cheaper hotels, so I've heard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 14:25, ARW wrote:
On 22/04/2018 10:25, Tim Watts wrote:

I had an enhanced DBS check done to allow me to work unaccompanied
in schools . I still have an escort some of the time - for my safety.

Where the feck are you working - Tower Hamlets?

Last week they (more than one person) ripped off the toilet light
switch (leaving live wires sticking out the wall), dropped the switch
into the urinal and then **** on it.

One school I worked at someone shat in the staffroom kettle.

Bill

happens regularly at cheaper hotels, so I've heard.

STWNFI often tells the tale of a tradesman being bollocked by his boss
for not wearing a hard hat whilst fitting security locks on the school
doors. 4 and 5 year old children were swarming all around him at the time!

Mike