Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor security camera system advice

Hi all,

I am looking to install some security cameras outside my house. After doing some research., there seems to be so many types and systems on offer. I am not looking for anything too sophisticated just something with a decent picture quality such that you can see peoples faces/ number plates etc. etc. in both day light and pitch black.

My house is fully wired with cat6 cable connected to a Gbit switch and I have a couple of servers (linux) which are always on. My broadband speed is not great (around 1mb upload, 6 download).

The system itself
-----------------
In trying to find the best option, I guess ideally I would like to use my home network/ servers etc. as it feels like I would have more flexibility going forward with software options, backing up to the cloud, remote access etc. If I went down this route, what sort of camera would I use? I haven't found any external USB cameras. I have found wireless cameras but have heard you have to be careful that they are not hackable/ blocked.

Almost all systems I have come across seem to have their own system, software etc. Also it looks like the cameras are connected via a coax type connector and some power leads. Assume there is a good reason why people don't do what I was thinking about?

The cameras
-----------
What sort of spec should I look out for to get decent enough pictures to he useful? There are lots of HD, H.265 (?) and you seem to get a distance for night time vision (is this the right thing to use?). etc.

Any pointers as to how to narrow down my search and advice greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg pretended :
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 05:14:16 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

No advice, I'm afraid, but I've often wondered just how much use
security cameras are in bringing burglars to justice. I've no idea,
but it seems to me that a well covered hoodie is difficult to
identify, especially for legal purposes. At best, the cameras might
give the police some idea as to the perpetrators (height, gait etc).
If all that is so, then the presence of cameras may deter the casual
burglar, in which case dummy cameras might be just as effective and a
lot cheaper. I do wonder if a complex system of cameras and recorders
isn't just to indulge the owner's techie aspirations!

No normal camera can see in absolute darkness, the distance suggested
is that of the workable distance of the IR LED's which surround the
lens.

In my opinion, wireless and LAN type cameras are much more useful, than
coax type, they are much more adaptable and the video can be stored off
site. No point to having the video stored on site, where a burglar
could steal it. LAN is more reliable than wireless, but you have to get
the cable to the device.

Outdoor units are much more expensive than indoor ones. I use an indoor
unit, which is remotely steerable up/down, left right. but looking out
through a window. It connects wirelessly to my broadband, so I can
watch the postie deliver from anywhere in the world and move the
camera's view from anywhere. I have only a 1Mb upload. Software can
allow the camera to upload any images where it spots any movement, to a
website.

It is 640x480, not nearly good enough to identify an unknown face, or a
registration number, but double the res, the data needed is multiplied
by four.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/18 13:14, wrote:

The cameras
-----------
What sort of spec should I look out for to get decent enough pictures to he useful? There are lots of HD, H.265 (?) and you seem to get a distance for night time vision (is this the right thing to use?). etc.

Any pointers as to how to narrow down my search and advice greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Lee.

Check out Ubiquiti
https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifivideo

I've got the external grade one on test inside and:

1) It's solid;

2) The picture quality is good (I have the IR extender ring for when I
move it outside)

3) The Unifi video software is free and runs nicely on my linux server
(you can get it in ready to run NVR appliance format too).

The cameras *can* work without the NVR - direct web and RTSP are supported.

It needs PoE (24V passive, but comes with an 802.3af/at converter) and
the people that sell them will also sell a full PoE injector if your
switch can't manage it.

Stay away from Hikvision - unreliable crap IME.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/18 13:45, Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

For me it's more peace of mind.

Being able to have a quick look and see that all is well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

About the only good Idea I've seen recently are these door intercoms that
can be set up to call your mobile anywhere in the world so you can be always
in and it would be a brave burglar who tried to enter a house that might
just be occupied. I'm sure many watch callers and see if they get a reply to
the button.

However for the casual junky type then not any camera is going to affect
their mode of operation at all.

I guess you could always arrange all callers carry an rfid and then you
could mount a huge crossbow in the house and shoot anyone who breaks in,
that should do it!!
:-)

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

the only good Idea I've seen recently are these door intercoms that
can be set up to call your mobile

The reviews I've seen of them are not particularly good ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:09:25 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I am not looking for anything too sophisticated just something

with a
decent picture quality such that you can see peoples faces/

number
plates etc. etc. in both day light and pitch black.

snip
What sort of spec should I look out for to get decent enough

pictures
to he useful? There are lots of HD, H.265 (?) and you seem to

get a
distance for night time vision (is this the right thing to use?).

etc.

To read number plates you'll need true (not upscaled) full HD (1920 x
1080) or better resolution. Full HD will allow reading of plates up
to about 25 feet. At night the retro reflection of any light source
near the camera will cause the plate to burn out.

Go for some form of IP camera forget coax. Use proper PoE and it's
just one cable to the camera.

In my opinion, wireless

No such thing, still needs power...

Outdoor units are much more expensive than indoor ones.

If you dig about you can find some quite high spec outdoor cameras
for around £100 (or could last time I looked). I have a HikVision
indoor, it works and is reliable, however HikVision aren't very good
when it comes to the firmware. One "upgrade" introduced some things
that either broke or badly damaged some of the fuctionality, down
grading was a nightmare. Several modern browsers can't display the
video stream any longer, this "broke" quite a while ago and has there
been a fix? No.

Also have Vivotek IB8369, outdoor. Quite chunky, 9" long 3" dia ish
but thick ali, well engineered, 'O' ring seals, stainless steel
screws etc. Again that just works. The IB8369 might have been
superceeded now but if the build quality has remained the same on
newer models...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes

It connects wirelessly to my broadband, so I can watch the postie
deliver from anywhere in the world

Wow. Our postie only ever delivers from the same depot ...

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

Some of the decision may depend on what you may think is at risk of. being
thieved,
A casual nicking tools from the shed* could well be a one off but an
expensive car may have more professional types observing a property first.
A camera suitably sited may catch activity so you can raise defences .
Lots of cameras have a facility to have a microphone,you might get lucky
and record a distinctive accent as one utters€¯****€¯ as they stumble in the
dark or even a name when talking to an accomplice.
Every little helps.,

Generally a number of fixed cameras are. more useful than a PTZ on its own,
PTZ at reasonable cost needs someone to steer it ,automatic tracking starts
to get very costly.

Fun to use the PTZ to see the wildlife around though, courting hedgehogs
last night running around the lawn once the storm passed.

GH