Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ridge tile problem

Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/04/2018 13:02, Jim K wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/04/2018 22:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

He didn't need to hack off, just 'butter' a bit over the exposed
tile edges.

I've been on hundreds of roofs where that's been done and the new
mortar has come off and slid down the roof. The only way to do
ridges is to take the tiles right off, remove all the old mortar,
lay a new bed, then point up.

And if you must use mortar,

Er... are there many other options for a traditional house repair?

I've seen ridge tiles 'fastened' on with silicon sealant!

Bill

A thin flag thing or whatever they are called was insecure on my front
garden decorative garden wall. Those concrete square things which are sort
of hollow with a pattern set on bricks.
Eight years ago I squirted a bit of silicone under it. The bloke next door
was highly amused.
Eight years down the road and the flag thing is still there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/04/2018 22:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

He didn't need to hack off, just 'butter' a bit over the exposed
tile edges.

I've been on hundreds of roofs where that's been done and the new
mortar has come off and slid down the roof. The only way to do ridges
is to take the tiles right off, remove all the old mortar, lay a new
bed, then point up.

And if you must use mortar,

Er... are there many other options for a traditional house repair?

For ridge tiles? Plenty. They ain't load bearing.

Other than mortar what would you recommend?

He's probably just trying to come across as a clever where others would
just mention the option of using a dry ridge system in place of
traditional ridge tiles. Doesn't work for me but it's a free country...

Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your expert
knowledge of ridge tiles.

Nevertheless I'm content with what was done to reinstated the Victorian
ridge tiles here with mortar bedding. The roofer who did that used
mortar which AFAICS anticipated the revised BS 5534 (albeit without the
addition of mechanical fixings, which I doubt could be achieved without
replacements). And he was a nice bloke who was happy to share his
knowledge with me - albeit in the sure and certain knowledge that I'd
not be DIY'ing ridge tiles on a normal pitched roof!

And I trust it's not breaching your secret squirrel hoard to reveal that
was to use for all such fixings a 3:1 mix with sharp sand and
plasticiser. (AINU BS 5534 requires a 3:1 mix with only enough soft
sand to give a workable mix, and at least 1/3 sharp sand.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your expert
knowledge of ridge tiles.

Unlike you who seems to have to get someone in to do it anyway, I don't
claim to be an expert. Just observed how many roofs I see with chunks of
mortar missing from the ridge tiles.

It also likely depends on what sort of roof you have and what the ridge
tiles are made of. But don't let facts gets in your way.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your expert
knowledge of ridge tiles.

Unlike you who seems to have to get someone in to do it anyway, I don't
claim to be an expert. Just observed how many roofs I see with chunks of
mortar missing from the ridge tiles.

I have not done ridge tiles but I have refitted a coping on parapet
walls. That's why I bothered to look for recommended mixes and found
out about the revised BS 5534.

What have you DIY'd and what mix(es) did you use?

It also likely depends on what sort of roof you have and what the ridge
tiles are made of. But don't let facts gets in your way.

I'd be happy to consider any relevant facts you provide - like the ones
you quietly snipped from above.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your
expert knowledge of ridge tiles.

Unlike you who seems to have to get someone in to do it anyway, I
don't claim to be an expert. Just observed how many roofs I see with
chunks of mortar missing from the ridge tiles.

I have not done ridge tiles but I have refitted a coping on parapet
walls.

The fact you can't see the difference between that and ridge tiles says a
great deal about your building knowledge. Bricks don't tend to move around
like the average tiled roof.

That's why I bothered to look for recommended mixes and found out
about the revised BS 5534.

Coping stones on a sloping parapet wall should be secured by more than
just mortar.

What have you DIY'd and what mix(es) did you use?

It also likely depends on what sort of roof you have and what the
ridge tiles are made of. But don't let facts gets in your way.

I'd be happy to consider any relevant facts you provide - like the ones
you quietly snipped from above.

Rather pointless with people like you who already know it all.

--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
Feel very free to pay someone who knocks on the door to 'patch' your ridge
tiles using ordinary mortar. As often as you want to.

Oh I shall. As I said, it's a free country.

By the same token you are free play the secret squirrel with your expert
knowledge of ridge tiles.

Unlike you who seems to have to get someone in to do it anyway, I don't
claim to be an expert. Just observed how many roofs I see with chunks of
mortar missing from the ridge tiles.

I have not done ridge tiles but I have refitted a coping on parapet
walls. That's why I bothered to look for recommended mixes and found
out about the revised BS 5534.

What have you DIY'd and what mix(es) did you use?

Cue long wait.....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

I know full well I'm not even out of kindergarten in the world of
building. And I try to be quick to admit my mistakes. But it'd be nice
to be told a bit more than that I'm just plain wrong. Eg:

where have I gone wrong in taking BS 5534 to apply to Victorian ridge tiles?

what mix is better?

who requires/recommends what fittings in addition to mortar for coping
stones on sloping parapet walls when the final section of wall and final
coping stone is horizontal (which is the arrangement on all the
Victorian terraces around here, as across much of London, with not even
a hip iron to be seen)?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2018 15:53, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What is normally pitched?* I'm happy working on my roof which I would
say is 30 degrees from the horizontal.* The 60 degree ones, no, they
look slippy.

Deluded people are often happy.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:52:16 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 22/04/2018 15:53, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

What is normally pitched? I'm happy working on my roof which I would
say is 30 degrees from the horizontal. The 60 degree ones, no, they
look slippy.

Deluded people are often happy.

If you can fall off a 30 degree slope, maybe you should take a walking stick up there with you.

--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert! LOL

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:52:16 +0100, Bill Wright, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding retard, blathered:

Deluded people are often happy.

Bill

He's happiest when some idiot like you comes along to feed him!

Non-setting mastic for roof ridge tile pointing Steve UK diy 9 January 20th 14 10:51 PM
ridge tile/vent? ian17 Home Repair 5 March 11th 13 03:20 PM
Ridge Tile on Kent Peg roof sadsjon UK diy 8 October 9th 11 09:57 PM
Ridge tile pointing repair Steve UK diy 4 September 12th 09 05:04 PM
Vent bathroom fan to ridge vent by constructing an adapter at ridge? Mike Home Repair 6 June 14th 06 03:23 PM