Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT Condensed Milk Brands

Mr Pounder Esquire

Why not just buy some evaporated milk and a large bag of sugar, then
mix them up to make condensed milk?

44 years ago I was Chief Engineer on a small oil tanker sailing out of
Fleetwood. Fleetwood is in Lancashire.
The milk supplied was condensed milk and I found it to be utterly
disgusting, both by taste and smell. The other members of the crew had no
problem with it. I drank my coffee black.

Were there no old timers who had been with grey Funnel line who would have
been familiar with the drink called Kai made from chocolate flaked off
block and melted with hot water or steam ,that then mixed with condensed
milk and often more sugar. A staple amongst those on an open bridge on
convoy duty in the North
Atlantic.

Arent you in your mid or late sixties? 44 years ago would put you
somewhere in your twenties to thirties.

Seems young to have qualified for a chief engineers ticket.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:36:06 +0000, Marland wrote:

Were there no old timers who had been with grey Funnel line who would
have been familiar with the drink called Kai made from chocolate flaked
off block and melted with hot water or steam ,that then mixed with
condensed milk and often more sugar. A staple amongst those on an open
bridge on convoy duty in the North Atlantic.

My father was in the Royal Marines, and by the 1960s the term Kai seemed
to have been extended to any form of cocoa distributed 'in the field'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/18 00:13, Marland wrote:

Purchased a couple and once home diluted some with water and used it .
Sweeter than normal milk especially for people like us who dont take sugar
in tea or coffee but better than nothing, excellent for the porridge which
I usually sweeten with honey and it made a nice rice pudding.

With bread ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV-25jg_qsQ

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Marland
writes

Quick look at the cooking section
of the only supermarket ,a CoOp and there plenty of condensed milk on the
shelf.

Not the same as 'real' milk in tea, I agree, but the sort of stuff that
every home should have for unforeseen circumstances. Our mothers and
grandmothers knew that, but with the easy availability of anything and
everything, any time, something many people have lost sight of today. We
always keep stuff like that, tinned soup and other tinned stuff, just in
case. Not going to last long in the event of WWIII, but for ordinary
domestic mishaps, like deep snow or illness, a perfect solution.

--
Graeme