Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hole for rotary airer clothes drier.

I need to replace a rotary airer clothes drier. The old one fell down
probably in a strong wind because the bottom of the post had corroded.

The drier is in the middle of a tiled patio. There is a hole in the
middle of the patio which must be about 30cm deep. The old airer had a
metal spike which was about 40cm long, so the top was about 10cm above
ground level. The shaft diameter was about 35mm

I propose to buy a Brabantia Rotary Topspinner 40m. The shaft diameter
is 45mm. There is a metal spike for this drier which is 45cm long, but
if I bought one, how would I make the hole deep enough and maybe a
little larger in diameter? I don't want much of the spike about ground
level. Maybe just enough to be able to pull it out of the ground should
there be a need.

Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:54:32 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

I need to replace a rotary airer clothes drier. The old one fell down
probably in a strong wind because the bottom of the post had corroded.

The drier is in the middle of a tiled patio. There is a hole in the
middle of the patio which must be about 30cm deep. The old airer had a
metal spike which was about 40cm long, so the top was about 10cm above
ground level. The shaft diameter was about 35mm

I propose to buy a Brabantia Rotary Topspinner 40m. The shaft diameter
is 45mm. There is a metal spike for this drier which is 45cm long, but
if I bought one, how would I make the hole deep enough and maybe a
little larger in diameter? I don't want much of the spike about ground
level. Maybe just enough to be able to pull it out of the ground should
there be a need.

Michael Chare

SDS drill.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 15:46, PeterC wrote:
[...]

How would I get the swarf out of the hole?

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 23:32:54 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

[...]

Bit of tube (32mm might just go in) on the vac.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 February 2018 08:32:36 UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

and would allow near zero airflow. Try a tube about half the xsa of the hole.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes

How would I get the swarf out of the hole?

I have found a hose usually works. When the water overflows, most of
the mud and general detritus comes with it. There is then a delay
whilst the water in the hole drains away.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sounds like the OP may not be very experienced, so might not have one.

Does the "spike" of the current one come out? If it is just earth at the
bottom (check with a stick or suitable metal poker), you can probably
hammer the new one to a suitable depth, once you have enlarged the hole
in the "tiles".

Depending on exactly what the "tiles" are, it might be easy enough to
enlarge the hole using a cold chisel, provided they are not laid on
thick (or strong) concrete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

====snip Ghod knows whose quotage is what to trim this follow up====

SDS drill.

How would I get the swarf out of the hole?

Bit of tube (32mm might just go in) on the vac.

and would allow near zero airflow. Try a tube about half the xsa of the
hole.

A metre of one inch plastic hosepipe temporarily sealed by hand to the
end of a vacuum cleaner hose should do the trick. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/02/2018 16:39, Johnny B Good wrote:

A metre of one inch plastic hosepipe temporarily sealed by hand to the
end of a vacuum cleaner hose should do the trick. :-)

I have done that, but I found it was hard to get a good seal with my
hand. Gaffer tape does a nice job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2018 13:44, newshound wrote:
[...]

I failed to mention that the bottom of the hole is very likely rock. I
have been wondering about using a diamond tipped core drill and then
trying to smash the core using a long chisel. There are some youtube
videos about drilling rocks with diamond tipped drills. Maybe my
Parkside battery drill might manage.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

You said in your OP:

"The drier is in the middle of a tiled patio. There is a hole in the
middle of the patio "

Where else could you site the drier that doesn't involve drilling half
metre holes into rock? That avoids the issue of trying to enlarge the
existing hole, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I am left wondering why you have set your mind against a Brabantia (or
other maker's) dryer with a 35mm diameter again.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2018 22:23, Robin wrote:
[...]

The Brabantia brand appears to be well thought of. A larger diameter is
presumably that much less likely to fail. I just want to be sure I could
make a suitable hole. The other option is a tumble drier, but that
leads to the problem of where to put it.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2018 23:40, Michael Chare wrote:
I am left wondering why you have set your mind against a Brabantia (or
other maker's) dryer with a 35mm diameter again.

The Brabantia brand appears to be well thought of.

Brabantia's Rotary Essential range is 35 mm diameter.

A larger diameter is
presumably that much less likely to fail. I just want to be sure I could
make a suitable hole.Â* The other option is a tumble drier, but that
leads to the problem of where to put it.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2018 10:43, Graeme wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes

How would I get the swarf out of the hole?

I have found a hose usually works.Â* When the water overflows, most of
the mud and general detritus comes with it.Â* There is then a delay
whilst the water in the hole drains away.

Thank you. That might be easier to try.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 23:31:22 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 21/02/2018 10:43, Graeme wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes

How would I get the swarf out of the hole?

I have found a hose usually works.* When the water overflows, most of
the mud and general detritus comes with it.* There is then a delay
whilst the water in the hole drains away.

Thank you. That might be easier to try.

When I put mine in I used the Postcrete sort of stuff. I found that the
flimsy plastic tube supplied was a nice fit in 0mm waste pipe, so put in a
decent length.
The hole didn't drain as it was solid at the bottom, but a lump hammer and
chisel fixed that.
As I always put the line in the shed I needed to plug the hole. A plastic
back-nut from a tap, with a 'kept because it might be useful' plastic cap in
it, does that job and is low and tight enough to mow over.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

No help to the OP but for the brief interval my wife tried a rotary
clothes line, I hammered a short length of scaffold pole into the lawn.

Tumble drier has reigned ever since!

--
Tim Lamb