Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Did extension cable

Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is lookin
tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left over from
previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8 months hence don't
want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long extension to power max 4
devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w lizards heat mat and 50w cage feeder.
I plan on using new 13 amp fused plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way
extension socket on the other end. Any opinions on this been
safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help and advice

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1270954-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 02:14, yamman wrote:
Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is lookin
tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left over from
previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8 months hence
don't
want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long extension to power
max 4
devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w lizards heat mat and 50w cage
feeder.
I plan on using new 13 amp fused plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way
extension socket on the other end. Any opinions on this been
safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help and advice

Use the 1.5mm^2 T&E, it will be much easier to wire into a plug and
extension socket and has more than enough current carrying capacity
(20A) for the job. You may have difficulty getting the cable into the
cord grip on the trailing socket, depending on its design.

(note the lead will only be suitable for mostly "fixed" applications -
any significant repeated flexing will eventually fatigue the solid
conductors and break it)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yamman m wrote:

Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is lookin
tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left over from
previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8 months hence don't
want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long extension to power max 4
devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w lizards heat mat and 50w cage feeder.
I plan on using new 13 amp fused plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way
extension socket on the other end. Any opinions on this been
safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help and advice

Non-expert diy view from me. Don't use the solid wire cable, as it is
not designed for flexible use, and if you fix it semi-permanently it is
likely to create a risk in future if someone uses it for something else.
Get 6m of 1.5mm^2 flex and use a 3A fuse in the plug. Mark the
extension with a label (to remind yourself) saying "maximum 500W" and
route the extension lead as far as possible where no-one will trip over
it. This is not the best way to do it, an extension of the fixed
wiring following the wiring regulations would be better, but you would
then have to go to a lot more trouble, probably.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
yamman m wrote:
Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is
lookin tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left
over from previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8
months hence don't want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long
extension to power max 4 devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w
lizards heat mat and 50w cage feeder. I plan on using new 13 amp fused
plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way extension socket on the other
end. Any opinions on this been safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help
and advice

TW&E is for permanent installations. An extension lead needs flexible
cable - not single core stuff like TW&E.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 February 2018 10:05:01 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
yamman m wrote:

Hi guys I'm needing an extension lead as my old 1 from years back is lookin
tired and old. I have plenty 1.5mm & 2.5mm grey twin & earth left over from
previous property. We are in a rented property for next 8 months hence don't
want permanent fixtures. I'm needing a 5 metre long extension to power max 4
devices namely 2x 55w flo lights. 1x 17w lizards heat mat and 50w cage feeder.
I plan on using new 13 amp fused plug on the 2.5mm cable and a new 4 way
extension socket on the other end. Any opinions on this been
safe,ok,unsafe,dangerous? thanks for help and advice

Non-expert diy view from me. Don't use the solid wire cable, as it is
not designed for flexible use,

+1

and if you fix it semi-permanently it is
likely to create a risk in future if someone uses it for something else.

ok if fixed in place and unwired at end of use

Get 6m of 1.5mm^2 flex and use a 3A fuse in the plug. Mark the
extension with a label (to remind yourself) saying "maximum 500W" and

1.5mm^2 is rated to over 13A.

route the extension lead as far as possible where no-one will trip over
it. This is not the best way to do it, an extension of the fixed
wiring following the wiring regulations would be better, but you would
then have to go to a lot more trouble, probably.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff brought next idea :
Well as long as it does not exceed thefuse you put in the socket bar and that
is set below the one in the plug.
It may not be pretty, but I'd expect it to work.

Apart from the fact that twin and earth is designed only to be used on
fixed wiring and tends to break if moved as would a portable extension.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff brought next idea :
Well as long as it does not exceed thefuse you put in the socket bar and that
is set below the one in the plug.
It may not be pretty, but I'd expect it to work.

Apart from the fact that twin and earth is designed only to be used on
fixed wiring and tends to break if moved as would a portable extension.

Even more so given the OP states his old one has had a hard life.

BTW, it's usually cheaper to buy a ready made one from the likes of Lidl
or any other reliable place. Rather than buy the individual parts and make
it yourself.

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

yamman m wrote:

[...]

The OP describes a semi-permanent installation some of which is likely
to be switched on all the time which is going to use less than 1A.
What is not to like about protecting it from currents higher than 3A
under fault conditions where it could overheat?

It would also be bad practice to use the semi-permanent extension for
other appliances and a little note on the sockets to that effect, and
the current limit, would be good.

route the extension lead as far as possible where no-one will trip over
it. This is not the best way to do it, an extension of the fixed
wiring following the wiring regulations would be better, but you would
then have to go to a lot more trouble, probably.

NT

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

yamman m wrote:

[...]

Name one!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2018 22:29, Roger Hayter wrote:
wrote:

Get 6m of 1.5mm^2 flex and use a 3A fuse in the plug. Mark the
extension with a label (to remind yourself) saying "maximum 500W" and

1.5mm^2 is rated to over 13A.

The OP describes a semi-permanent installation some of which is likely
to be switched on all the time which is going to use less than 1A.
What is not to like about protecting it from currents higher than 3A
under fault conditions where it could overheat?

It would also be bad practice to use the semi-permanent extension for
other appliances and a little note on the sockets to that effect, and
the current limit, would be good.

too many errors.

Name one!

Well I would use a 5A fuse. But that is not an error just my difference
of opinion.

Or is it because I have run out of 3A fuses:-)?

--
Adam