Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bleach in a bath

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the bath
shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably.
Brian

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Which is what I thought.
Curses!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 February 2018 20:13:44 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the bath
shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

No, have used bleach plenty on plastic bathroom goods.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 February 2018 21:42:51 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably.
Brian

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Which is what I thought.
Curses!

What's the bottle made of in which the bleach comes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not so much damage as stain it or lose the shine. I don't know what
chemicals are in the current domestos.
The question is what caused the problem in the first place?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably.
Brian

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Which is what I thought.
Curses!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The issue here i think is the finish on the bath and how resistant it is to
the chemicals. I don't know the current make up of household bleach, but to
be honest I've never found it much good to clean plastic, just damage it.
the bottle is a particualy sort of plastic, but again, how can we know what
it is?
I'd not want to try it unless I had a bath other than my main one that
did not matter to test it on.

Brian

--
----- -

wrote in message
On Monday, 19 February 2018 21:42:51 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably.
Brian

The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Which is what I thought.
Curses!

What's the bottle made of in which the bleach comes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I clean mine with diluted white vinegar spray and an old tooth brush. Works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the bath
shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with limit success.
I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Remove it! and clean it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

curious wrote:
I clean mine with diluted white vinegar spray and an old tooth brush.
Works well.

I once tried white vinegar on mould spots on vertical fabric blinds. It did
not work.
A tooth brush is too fat to fit into the gaps on the strip, I have to use a
paint brush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Good idea, but it is rigid and seems to be going brittle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Remove it! and clean it

Work in progress as I type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Not so much damage as stain it or lose the shine. I don't know what
chemicals are in the current domestos.
The question is what caused the problem in the first place?
Brian

Water getting inside the strip, not draining out and going all yuck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2018 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Remove it! and clean it

Work in progress as I type.

Would one of those hand held steam cleaners work?

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2018 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:

Trust me - everyone cleans their baths in bleach - diluted of course...
The only things, outside of weird organic solvents, that damage plastic
baths to my knowledge are abrasive cleaners.

I don't, the hard water leaves limescale so a mild acid works better
than bleach.

The only thing bleach is useful for on baths is if you need to get rid
of mould on the silicone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
On 20/02/2018 09:39, Tim Watts wrote:

Trust me - everyone cleans their baths in bleach - diluted of
course... The only things, outside of weird organic solvents, that
damage plastic baths to my knowledge are abrasive cleaners.

I don't, the hard water leaves limescale so a mild acid works better
than bleach.

The only thing bleach is useful for on baths is if you need to get rid
of mould on the silicone.

Scrap the old silicone out. All of it. Yeah, I know.
Use meths to clean the area.
Let dry............. 12 hours.
Fill bath half way with water
Use decent silicone, not the quid for a tube ****e.
Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this
introduces bacteria and moisture into the silicone.
Let set for 12 hours.
Okay, you will stink. But the end result is worth it.
I did the above maybe six years ago after two failed repairs not doing it
the right way.
The silicone is as white as the day I applied it, no mould.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2018 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into
something like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in
that?

Remove it! and clean it

Work in progress as I type.

Would one of those hand held steam cleaners work?

I have one, cost me nearly 100 quid. I bought it to clean the oven. Took
oven out of kitchen into the back garden. West wing, near the plastic
butterflies. The butterflies are all nearly knackerd.
It was utterly useless, but was a good idea at the time. I thought I'd also
use it to clean the patio windows, then I thought twice about this.
Somebody gave me a hand held one. I've not even tried it, you can have it
you want it.
44 years ago I worked for a commercial catering outfit. They sold used
stuff. They had these big blasters that did clean the grease out of ovens.
I have used plenty of Domestos on the splash strip and it is now very clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:39:05 +0000
Tim Watts wrote:

Trust me - everyone cleans their baths in bleach

Why? I find soap or shampoo on a non-scratch scourer works well enough,
apart from the lime deposits under the taps for which acid, not bleach,
works well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:
On 20/02/2018 08:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 22:03:28 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"

On Monday, 19 February 2018 20:13:44 UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

No, have used bleach plenty on plastic bathroom goods.

NT

Taa.

Some years ago there was a problem with certain bath cleaners
attacking the surface of enameled steel baths, which may be at the
back of your mind, but bleach on plastic should be OK.

I wouldn't be surprised is silly bang did as its quite acidic.
However proper enamel should be as resistant as glass.

Vitreous enamel can be made resistant to acid or alkali, but not both.
Most vitreous enamel is made resistant to acids, but baths have to be
made resistant to alkali so that soap doesn't damage the finish.
Consequently, vitreous enamel baths are damaged by acids. The effect
is to take off the very high gloss shine, but you might only notice
this on a new bath which still has a very high gloss shine, and then
only if you use acid in patches on it. In bad cases of repeated or
strong exposure, the surface is even left rough, which makes it
attract dirt and harder to clean, and more likely to have even more
acids used on it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/02/2018 20:42, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this

I was told that lots of builders have developed cancer of the lip/mouth
licking their finger to smooth down silicone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
On 20/02/2018 20:42, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this

I was told that lots of builders have developed cancer of the lip/mouth
licking their finger to smooth down silicone.

They lick it *after* they've got silicone on it??

:-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into something
like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in that?

Good idea, but it is rigid and seems to be going brittle.

EBay
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
The plastic splash strip under the glass (?) door of our over the
bath shower is looking a bit manky. I have tried to clean it with
limit success. I would like to soak it with Domestos in the bath.
I think the bath is plastic. If I do this, will I damage the bath?

Assuming the strip is flexible, could you not curve it into
something like a large glass casserole dish and put the bleach in
that?

Good idea, but it is rigid and seems to be going brittle.

EBay

It has always been rigid. As it has a small split on the angled splash bit,
perhaps I should look to replace it.
I'll take a look on ebay.

Taa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2018 21:02, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2018 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Which one are you offering me?

Your post makes little sense as it seems you paid £100 for a product
that did not work to your satisfaction and then took an identical
product for free

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2018 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news
Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
[...]

Both if you want to come and get them.

Your post makes little sense as it seems you paid £100 for a product
that did not work to your satisfaction and then took an identical
product for free

Free is free. I do not refuse free stuff.
My plastic butterflies are falling off the fence. Still, they have done very
well over the years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2018 16:23, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote in
news

The cat **** is on it's way

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2018 00:21, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 20/02/2018 20:42, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Apply silicone with the Fugi tool. Not with finger stuck in gob as this

I was told that lots of builders have developed cancer of the lip/mouth
licking their finger to smooth down silicone.

They lick it *after* they've got silicone on it??

:-)

Probably. One finger lick won't do a whole bathroom.

Andy