DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Name for a beam made of metal and wood (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/605450-name-beam-made-metal-wood.html)

[email protected] February 15th 18 12:55 AM

Name for a beam made of metal and wood

What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged imagination?

ARW February 15th 18 06:46 AM

On 15/02/2018 00:55, wrote:
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged imagination?

Metal web joists.

--

Adam

Jim.GM4DHJ ... February 15th 18 09:29 AM

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Me...w=1280&bih=857

Andrew[_22_] February 15th 18 01:35 PM

On 15/02/2018 00:55, wrote:
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged imagination?

Standard fitment in all new houses. Much stiffer and stronger
so less of those creaky chipboard floors that 70's houses
suffer from.

The 22mm chipboard or t&g plywood flooring is glued on all
four sides and also glued onto the top section of the beam.

When the glue has set, they cut a hole where the stairs pass through.

Makes first fit electrics a lot easier, because there are no holes
to drill. I-beam versions where the web is OSB usually have knockouts
in the correct places.

[email protected] February 15th 18 04:54 PM

On Thursday, 15 February 2018 13:35:57 UTC, Andrew wrote:

Standard fitment in all new houses. Much stiffer and stronger
so less of those creaky chipboard floors that 70's houses
suffer from.

The 22mm chipboard or t&g plywood flooring is glued on all
four sides and also glued onto the top section of the beam.

Metal web joints. Thanks all for that.

So if most (all?) residential new builds use MWJ (as known to its friends) as a base for ceiling plasterboard and floor ply, can they be used for loft extensions where they are fixed to the walls slightly above existing ceiling joists? The lightness, and sufficient (?) strength in comparison to "steels" would in my uninformed position, make MWJ the ideal base for the floor in a loft extension. Or do they have shortcomings that prohibit their use in loft extensions?

Thanks.

Tim Lamb[_2_] February 15th 18 05:31 PM

Name for a beam made of metal and wood

In message ,
writes
On Thursday, 15 February 2018 13:35:57 UTC, Andrew wrote:

Standard fitment in all new houses. Much stiffer and stronger
so less of those creaky chipboard floors that 70's houses
suffer from.

The 22mm chipboard or t&g plywood flooring is glued on all
four sides and also glued onto the top section of the beam.

Metal web joints. Thanks all for that.

So if most (all?) residential new builds use MWJ (as known to its
friends) as a base for ceiling plasterboard and floor ply, can they be
used for loft extensions where they are fixed to the walls slightly
above existing ceiling joists? The lightness, and sufficient (?)
strength in comparison to "steels" would in my uninformed position,
make MWJ the ideal base for the floor in a loft extension. Or do they
have shortcomings that prohibit their use in loft extensions?

Don't see why not. If you are not securing the loft extension joists to
the existing ceiling ones, I think you need to ensure they don't deflect
and touch the ceiling plasterboard.

--
Tim Lamb

ARW February 15th 18 08:49 PM

On 15/02/2018 13:35, Andrew wrote:
On 15/02/2018 00:55, wrote:
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of
metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is
that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged imagination?

Standard fitment in all new houses.

It's not standard fitment in all new homes.

It ought to be as it makes my job easier.

--

Adam

Tim Watts[_3_] February 15th 18 10:03 PM

On 15/02/18 13:35, Andrew wrote:
On 15/02/2018 00:55, wrote:
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of
metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is
that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged imagination?

Standard fitment in all new houses. Much stiffer and stronger
so less of those creaky chipboard floors that 70's houses
suffer from.

The 22mm chipboard or t&g plywood flooring is glued on all
four sides and also glued onto the top section of the beam.

When the glue has set, they cut a hole where the stairs pass through.

Makes first fit electrics a lot easier, because there are no holes
to drill. I-beam versions where the web is OSB usually have knockouts
in the correct places.

Oh yea - an unliftable floor.

I know what else doesn't squeak and is nice and stiff:

7x1" boards screwed down to 8x2" joists :)

ARW February 18th 18 10:43 AM

On 15/02/2018 16:54, wrote:
On Thursday, 15 February 2018 13:35:57 UTC, Andrew wrote:

Standard fitment in all new houses. Much stiffer and stronger
so less of those creaky chipboard floors that 70's houses
suffer from.

The 22mm chipboard or t&g plywood flooring is glued on all
four sides and also glued onto the top section of the beam.

Metal web joints. Thanks all for that.

So if most (all?) residential new builds use MWJ (as known to its friends) as a base for ceiling plasterboard and floor ply, can they be used for loft extensions where they are fixed to the walls slightly above existing ceiling joists? The lightness, and sufficient (?) strength in comparison to "steels" would in my uninformed position, make MWJ the ideal base for the floor in a loft extension. Or do they have shortcomings that prohibit their use in loft extensions?

I don't see why they cannot be used in a loft conversion.

--
Adam