Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hyundai i20 water leak - from roof trim?

I finally got the right tuit to investigate how the boot of my wife's
i20 was getting wet. Having removed the right boot trim panel and played
around for ages with a hosepipe I noticed that the offside roof trim
(the plastic strip that runs each side of the roof panel) is slightly
loose and I think this is where the water is getting in. I can't find
anything to tell me how the trim is held or sealed, or how to remove it.
Is anyone here knowledgeable about i20s? If not I'll have to take it to
a bodyshop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I finally got the right tuit to investigate how the boot of my wife's
i20 was getting wet. Having removed the right boot trim panel and played
around for ages with a hosepipe I noticed that the offside roof trim
(the plastic strip that runs each side of the roof panel) is slightly
loose and I think this is where the water is getting in. I can't find
anything to tell me how the trim is held or sealed, or how to remove it.
Is anyone here knowledgeable about i20s? If not I'll have to take it to
a bodyshop.

How old? Before you take it to a body shop get someone else to use the hose
and check carefully from the inside whilst its getting sprayed. If you
have a leaking seam in the roof youre in with a chance of getting it
repaired free.

My bothers Honda Civic started leaking through a roof seam and he
successfully argued with Honda that a roof (without a sun roof) should
NEVER leak and one that did wasnt fit for purpose. Honda eventually agreed
to fix it at no cost.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 20:57, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That's interesting. It's 2009 with 70k miles, so I can't imagine that
Hyundai will be too interested, but I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/02/2018 22:34, wrote:
On 05/02/2018 22:22,
wrote:
On 05/02/2018 20:57, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
I finally got the right tuit to investigate how the boot of my wife's
i20 was getting wet. Having removed the right boot trim panel and
played
around for ages with a hosepipe I noticed that the offside roof trim
(the plastic strip that runs each side of the roof panel) is slightly
loose and I think this is where the water is getting in. I can't find
anything to tell me how the trim is held or sealed, or how to remove
it.
Is anyone here knowledgeable about i20s? If not I'll have to take it to
a bodyshop.

How old? Before you take it to a body shop get someone else to use
the hose
and check carefully from the inside whilst its getting sprayed.Â* If you
have a leaking seam in the roof youre in with a chance of getting it
repaired free.

My bothers Honda Civic started leaking through a roof seam and he
successfully argued with Honda that a roof (without a sun roof) should
NEVER leak and one that did wasnt fit for purpose. Honda eventually
agreed
to fix it at no cost.

Tim

That's interesting. It's 2009 with 70k miles, so I can't imagine that
Hyundai will be too interested, but I'll give them a call tomorrow.

... I forgot to say: there's nothing visible on the headlining, but
water drips out of a channel that is part of the rear corner structure
which goes to the roof.

In my experience, other than a leaky windscreen rubber with an older car
with a non-bonded screen, most "leaks" in cars are not actually things
leaking that shouldn't, but blocked drain holes meaning the water
doesn't run away when it should. My Audi A3 had an occasionally
recurring "leak" where water would collect behind the side trim in the
boot, and eventually overflow into the spare wheel well. It was caused
by a drain grommet on the underside becoming blocked with crud- a 2
minute job to take out and clean, then refit, once you knew it was there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, I have the exact same issue.
I have sealed the light unit and fixings but it seems to leak from above it
As you say it looks like it's from the roof trim but I removed mine, just held in with spring clips, and found no holes or anywhere water could get in.
My next job is to put an endscope inside the bodywork at the rear.
Please let me know if you have had any luck.
I will report back my findings.
MarkV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2018 09:09, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 05/02/2018 22:34, wrote:
On 05/02/2018 22:22,
wrote:
On 05/02/2018 20:57, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but *if* it is in fact a leak at a genuine seam or joint then a
dribble of one of those leak sealing compound might be worth a try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to nothanks, MarkV wrote:
Nothanks, I have the exact same issue, same year of car.
Any news on findings?
I will investigate here as well.
MarkV

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1267720-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the feedback noth...
Your spot on, the seam as you say was the culprit, might be the seal weakening.
I've masticed it on both side.
Fingers crossed.
Cheers again.
MarkV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hyundai i20 water leak - from roof trim? SOLVED (partially)

replying to nothanks, fat_capybara wrote:
Hi, got the same situation in my 2009 i20. Whole trunk is wet, even rear seats
got some water. My first try was to seal the tail lamp, cause I saw drops of
water on the rubber ring sealing electric wires (it was wet from the inside).
but now I'm sure that the water comes from *above *the tail lamp - most
probably from one of the joints. Keep dry!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1267720-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 February 2018 19:52:39 UTC, wrote:
I finally got the right tuit to investigate how the boot of my wife's
i20 was getting wet. Having removed the right boot trim panel and played
around for ages with a hosepipe I noticed that the offside roof trim
(the plastic strip that runs each side of the roof panel) is slightly
loose and I think this is where the water is getting in. I can't find
anything to tell me how the trim is held or sealed, or how to remove it.
Is anyone here knowledgeable about i20s? If not I'll have to take it to
a bodyshop.

I had the same problem and after hours with a hose I found it was only leaking when I sprayed the roof trim just behind the drivers door. I covered the roof trim on the drivers side with duck tape for two weeks and no water got into the spare wheel well despite very heavy rain over that period. Took the car to my local body shop and they removed the old sealant where the roof and side panels are spot welded and applied a new bead of sealant and leak is now fixed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

It's probably rusted right through in the past 18 months.

--
*It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Check under the rear light fittings where the main cable loom comes through the rubber seal eventually cracks.
That's why water enters the boot area.
Put some clear silicone gell on it job done.
Hope this helps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had the same problem but managed to find the source of the leak. I first removed the roof trim but there is no entry point into the car along that so put it back on. Then through using a hose and isolating various areas I was able to find a vent under the rear bumper that was letting water in under its seal.

Removing the bumper a bit fiddly but doing able. See video link for how.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETwCPRHmLWQ

Then once that is done you can either replace or seal up the vent. I sealed up one but the flaps on the other had gone so got a replacement for £10 from a local Hyundai garage. You can also get them on eBay for around £15.

Get one out is a bit tricky but there are two small gaps in the top where you can put screwdrivers in to press a bendy bit and then with a bit of force lever the vent out.

I hope all that helps!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/1f1o
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/1f1q
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/1f1s