Old January 12th 18, 09:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've hacked off some tiles ....

On Friday, 12 January 2018 11:28:35 UTC, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Impossible. Replace the PB, adding insulation if it's an outside wall.
PB can be disposed of in garden soil if wanted.

NT

Old January 12th 18, 10:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

SteveW
Old January 12th 18, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend,
but I can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive is still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting
a clean surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

SteveW

--
Tim Lamb
Old January 12th 18, 11:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 22:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Walker
writes
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.
¬*Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend,
but I¬* can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile
adhesive is¬* still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting
a clean¬* surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will
soften the plasterboard is another matter, but you've got nothing to
lose trying it.

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

Would a paper stripper steamer help?

Probably, but I found just brushing hot water on to be highly effective.

SteveW
Old January 13th 18, 12:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 14:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the
partner complains about dust being everywhere.....

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool -
it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 13th 18, 12:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Either skim it, or fix another layer of PB over it!

--
Cheers,

John.

Old January 13th 18, 03:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 12/01/2018 14:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Very dust inducing though so wear a mask and have selective hearing when the
partner complains about dust being everywhere.....

The dust from a multi tool is far less IME than from a rotating tool -
it tends to just drop it straight down, rather than throw it about!

Indeed.
It doesn't seem to have chance to gather enough energy to become
truly airborne in the same way as dust from say a disc or belt
sander.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old January 13th 18, 07:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 12 January 2018 21:04:04 UTC, Steve Walker wrote:
On 12/01/2018 11:28, GB wrote:
Got rid of the old tiles in the kitchen.

Some of them were on plasterboard, and I have some holes to mend, but I
can cope with that. The problem is that some of the old tile adhesive is
still adhering to the PB. What's the best way of getting a clean
surface, ready for retiling, without destroying the PB?

Unless someone has used the waterproof adhesive (generally people
don't), warm water often softens it very well - how much it will soften
the plasterboard is another matter,

it's _the_ matter.

but you've got nothing to lose
trying it.

no, other than a 100% waste of time & energy

I removed large amounts of tile adhesive this way in our bathroom, but
that was on plastered brick rather than plasterboard.

quite

NT

Some more lathe progress (some pictures and some without) Ignoramus26563 Metalworking 2 February 7th 10 01:01 AM
You can find some nice lingerie at Victoria Secret or even atFrederick's of Hollywood for that special honeymoon night. You may even finethat Sears and Macys has some great lingerie for your bridal accessoriespackage. You will also find some great on [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 April 19th 08 12:08 PM
EBay Hacked Again ufo Home Repair 0 February 23rd 07 04:40 AM
Ebay Hacked Again - Passwords - Credit Cards? ufo Woodworking 0 February 23rd 07 04:22 AM
Why are some power supplies rated in VA and some in Watts and some in amperes? meirman Electronics Repair 2 March 8th 05 02:48 PM