DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Grid's a bit iffy (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/602982-grids-bit-iffy.html)

Tim Watts[_3_] January 5th 18 04:46 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses

Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

Cursitor Doom[_4_] January 5th 18 06:21 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 16:46:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses

Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

I prefer NP's Gridwatch.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 5th 18 07:14 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On 05/01/18 16:46, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses

Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

Nah we have a reasonable amopiunt of spare capacity. Its not THAT cold
this evening

--
Theres a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 5th 18 07:15 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On 05/01/18 18:37, Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/01/18 18:21, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 16:46:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses

Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

I prefer NP's Gridwatch.

Link?

Oh googole it. Lots of me too sites all plastered with adverts

Brian Gaff January 5th 18 09:10 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

And still all those turbines to repair after too much or the wrong type of
wind.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Andy Burns[_13_] January 5th 18 09:27 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

Brian Gaff wrote:

And still all those turbines to repair after too much or the wrong type of
wind.

Did Santa forget to bring a few sacks of wood-chips for the biomass
power stations?

The Other Mike[_3_] January 6th 18 06:59 AM

Grid's a bit iffy

On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 21:27:43 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

And still all those turbines to repair after too much or the wrong type of
wind.

Did Santa forget to bring a few sacks of wood-chips for the biomass
power stations?

You may jest but that's not too far away from the reality

https://www.ft.com/content/57750bce-...2-4ef68604e029

December 20, 2017

"Drax says it expects to take a £10m hit to earnings after problems in
delivering biomass to its power station.

In a statement, the company said an “unplanned” outage on rail unloading
facilities had restricted deliveries and as a result, some of its power
generation had been cut. Consequently, earnings before interest tax depreciation
and amortisation are expected to be £10m lower than expected in 2017; the
company made £121m in ebitda in the six months ending in June this year.

Repairs are due to be completed in January."

[email protected] January 6th 18 12:13 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 07:01:46 UTC, The Other Mike wrote:
"Drax says it expects to take a £10m hit to earnings after problems in
delivering biomass to its power station.

Perhaps we should go back to digging coal mines and then building a power station next to the mine.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 6th 18 12:16 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On 06/01/18 12:13, wrote:
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 07:01:46 UTC, The Other Mike wrote:
"Drax says it expects to take a £10m hit to earnings after problems in
delivering biomass to its power station.

Perhaps we should go back to digging coal mines and then building a power station next to the mine.

Owain

Drax is IIRC pretty close to one of the few remaining UK coalmines but
there isnt enough coal to meet its needs

The better solution would be to pump out old seams and set fire to them
and use the hot gases to drive gas turbines with.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Andrew[_22_] January 6th 18 12:43 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

On 05/01/2018 18:21, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 16:46:19 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses

Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

I prefer NP's Gridwatch.

Or you could just look at bmreports.com, unless you prefer
to be spoonfed with dumbed-down BBC-style nonsense.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 6th 18 01:25 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

Or you could just look at bmreports.com,if you prefer
to be spoonfed with dumbed-down BBC-style nonsense.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Tim Lamb[_2_] January 6th 18 02:46 PM

Grid's a bit iffy

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 05/01/18 16:46, Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
It's at 45GW and climbing - but we are 3 reactors down according to:
https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/pow...daily-statuses
Sizewell B is planned, but Hartlepool and Hunterston B both have 1/2
reactors tripped out and the latter is marked as "return on 12th".

Nah we have a reasonable amopiunt of spare capacity. Its not THAT cold
this evening

Should be OK now we have taken down our Christmas lights!
--
Tim Lamb