Old December 7th 17, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Continuity between neutral and earth

On 07/12/2017 09:44, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 20:31:35 UTC, wrote:
Hi All

I have broken into a ring main to extend it to another room. Essentially cutting the return from one socket and then connecting each side of the extended ring to one of the cut ends.

I test the extended ring and it was sound (ie only continuity between the corresponding pairs of wire). I have just connected it to the main ring and did a quick continuity check. Live is ok but it seems that neutral (blue) and earth now have continuity. Given I tested the extended ring it would appear that the original ring suffered this problem. However if this was the case wouldn't the RCd at the MCU have tripped before.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Lee

Neutral and earth are bonded together back at the substation.

That is true.

It's important that this is the only place they are bonded.

That is certainly not true for TN-C-S (PME) supplies which are the
default "standard" for installs these days.

(the clue is in the "M"!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Old December 7th 17, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
I was always told that Neutral was supposed to be earth, or almost so.
Otherwise we would have two lives.
Brian

It's earth at the substaion, but its volage wrt earth at your home will
depend on how evenly the phases are loaded. 10v wrt earth isn't uncommon.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old December 7th 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I test the extended ring and it was sound (ie only continuity between
the corresponding pairs of wire). I have just connected it to the main
ring and did a quick continuity check. Live is ok but it seems that
neutral (blue) and earth now have continuity. Given I tested the
extended ring it would appear that the original ring suffered this
problem. However if this was the case wouldn't the RCd at the MCU have
tripped before.

Assuming you are testing with the main switch off (double pole) you have a
fault. If testing with only the MCB etc (single pole) off, normal.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old December 7th 17, 11:10 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Dec 2017 09:23:40 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I was always told that Neutral was supposed to be earth, or almost so.
Otherwise we would have two lives.
Brian

One of which would then be a negative wouldn't it?

In the past I think some people referred to the black , later blue
wire in domestic wiring as the negative which was wrong but possibly
influenced with tinkering with cars where batteries have a positive
and negative pole, or maybe for old timers it was a hangover from the
days of DC mains.

The yellow 110 volt plugs intended for use with transformers in the UK
to give a 55-0-55 volt supply usaully have both pins identified with a
moulded L rather than an L and an N but I reckon few people using
or even wiring one have noticed.

G.Harman
Old December 7th 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 20:31:35 UTC, wrote:

I have broken into a ring main to extend it to another room. Essentially cutting the return from one socket and then connecting each side of the extended ring to one of the cut ends.

I test the extended ring and it was sound (ie only continuity between the corresponding pairs of wire). I have just connected it to the main ring and did a quick continuity check. Live is ok but it seems that neutral (blue) and earth now have continuity. Given I tested the extended ring it would appear that the original ring suffered this problem. However if this was the case wouldn't the RCd at the MCU have tripped before.

ISTM that a person who does not know that neutral and earth MUST be connected together in at least one place is a person who is not qualified to do such work and the resulting installation is at risk of being in breach of the Building Regulations. See http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27182...-h/27182-h.htm, VI.

--
(c) Dr. S. Lartius, UK. Gmail: [email protected] |

Old December 7th 17, 12:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was always told that Neutral was supposed to be earth, or almost so.
Otherwise we would have two lives.
Brian

One of which would then be a negative wouldn't it?

In the past I think some people referred to the black , later blue
wire in domestic wiring as the negative which was wrong but possibly
influenced with tinkering with cars where batteries have a positive
and negative pole, or maybe for old timers it was a hangover from the
days of DC mains.

The yellow 110 volt plugs intended for use with transformers in the UK
to give a 55-0-55 volt supply usaully have both pins identified with a
moulded L rather than an L and an N but I reckon few people using
or even wiring one have noticed.

G.Harman

Dc mains used the 2 phase 3 wire system, so half of end users got + and half got -ve dc supplied.

NT
Old December 7th 17, 01:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes only the MCB was switched off. Rest of the CU was on
Old December 7th 17, 01:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2017 11:20, wrote:

ISTM that a person who does not know that neutral and earth MUST be
connected together in at least one place is a person who is not
qualified to do such work and the resulting installation is at risk
of being in breach of the Building Regulations. See

Erroneous statement followed by a non sequitur... Mmmm useful ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |
Old December 7th 17, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Yes only the MCB was switched off. Rest of the CU was on

If you turn off the main switch (which is double pole) the continuity
between earth and neutral should go away. If it doesn't there is
probably a fault on a circuit - but not necessarily the one you were
working on.

Mike