DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gluing Polypropylene to PVC (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600709-gluing-polypropylene-pvc.html)

[email protected] November 24th 17 07:00 PM

Gluing Polypropylene to PVC

I would like to glue a flat piece of PVC to a flat area on a bit of
polypropylene. Is this practical for something that will be used outside
and get wet? I presume that the solvent weld type glues for plastic
drain pipes won't work?

--
Michael Chare

Andy Burns[_13_] November 24th 17 08:00 PM

wrote:

I would like to glue a flat piece of PVC to a flat area on a bit of
polypropylene.

Scotchweld 8005 is for low surface energy plastics, not cheap though.

newshound November 24th 17 08:26 PM

On 24/11/2017 20:00, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I would like to glue a flat piece of PVC to a flat area on a bit of
polypropylene.

Scotchweld 8005 is for low surface energy plastics, not cheap though.

Here is another option

https://www.masterbond.com/applicati...C9dgQAv D_BwE

Another possibility, if there is a reasonable contact area, might be
double sided tape or double sided foam pads.

It all depends really on how strong the joint needs to be, whether there
is flexing, temperature variations, etc.

Does it *really* have to be adhesive? It it's for a permanent fix, can't
it be pop riveted or bolted with suitable washers?

Iggy November 24th 17 09:14 PM

Gluing Polypropylene to PVC

replying to mUNDERSCOREnews, Iggy wrote:
I haven't tried much, but PVC cement, Krazy Glue and Plastic Welding don't
work. I even tried sanding each piece to get some tooth, not a thing different
and immediate failure. Try either Andy Burns' stuff or Plastic Model
glue/cement, that's the only stuff I've ever seen actually weld any plastic
together and there are waterproof versions.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...c-1252447-.htm

Brian Gaff November 25th 17 09:12 AM

Gluing Polypropylene to PVC

Well, my experience with two dissimilar plastics tells me that whatever you
use the softest one tends to bubble, ie it softens in strong sunlight.
. Is this a big area and how thick is the pvc so to speak.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Peter Parry November 25th 17 11:13 AM

Gluing Polypropylene to PVC

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 19:00:28 +0000,
wrote:

I would like to glue a flat piece of PVC to a flat area on a bit of
polypropylene. Is this practical for something that will be used outside
and get wet? I presume that the solvent weld type glues for plastic
drain pipes won't work?

Flame flashing will often allow difficult to glue low surface energy
substrate plastics to be fixed together by adhesives.
https://www.signwarehouse.com/Miva/P...lyethylene.pdf
https://theepoxyexperts.com/flame-tr...esive-bonding/

Michael Chare[_4_] November 25th 17 01:43 PM

On 25/11/2017 09:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, my experience with two dissimilar plastics tells me that whatever you
use the softest one tends to bubble, ie it softens in strong sunlight.
. Is this a big area and how thick is the pvc so to speak.
Brian

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is
less than a square inch.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 25th 17 02:07 PM

Michael Chare wrote:

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is
less than a square inch.

Can't you replace both with a single piece 2mm thick and an inch square?

Michael Chare[_4_] November 25th 17 03:45 PM

On 25/11/2017 14:07, Andy Burns wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is
less than a square inch.

Can't you replace both with a single piece 2mm thick and an inch square?

One of the bits of plastic is a polypropylene roof verge which I am
trying to modify because one of the rows of tiles is to far above the
row below by about 1cm. I would like to stick another two small bits of
plastic to it. These bits will be cut from an old non polypropylene
verge. It may be that I can resort to screws.

[email protected] November 26th 17 04:09 PM

Michael Chare wrote:

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is
less than a square inch.

Can't you replace both with a single piece 2mm thick and an inch square?

One of the bits of plastic is a polypropylene roof verge which I am
trying to modify because one of the rows of tiles is to far above the
row below by about 1cm. I would like to stick another two small bits of
plastic to it. These bits will be cut from an old non polypropylene
verge. It may be that I can resort to screws.

At just 1mm thick I'd be keen to spread the fixing over as wide an area as possible.

NT

newshound November 27th 17 03:31 PM

Michael Chare wrote:

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is
less than a square inch.

Can't you replace both with a single piece 2mm thick and an inch square?

One of the bits of plastic is a polypropylene roof verge which I am
trying to modify because one of the rows of tiles is to far above the
row below by about 1cm. I would like to stick another two small bits of
plastic to it. These bits will be cut from an old non polypropylene
verge. It may be that I can resort to screws.

At just 1mm thick I'd be keen to spread the fixing over as wide an area as possible.

NT

So only a small amount needed, worth a punt with the expensive stuff,
though I would still be inclined to add a few stainless self tappers.