Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default canbus

"David" wrote in message
In article ,
On 2017-11-21, Andrew wrote:
On 20/11/2017 21:11, Huge wrote:
Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

There is nothing to stop each vehicles canbus to be synched
with those waiting behind.

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Almost certainly - they are both VW group vehicles so share loads of
components under the skin anyway

guy at garage was boasting about his Audi and slagging off a skoda until the
mechanic showed him Skoda on the wiring harness of his Audi ...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

Almost certainly - they are both VW group vehicles so share loads of
components under the skin anyway

Be interesting to know what you think they do share. ;-)

--
*If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

Nobody will buy a driverless car.
Expense.
People like to drive.
Nobody will trust them.
So, another load of ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we
will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

Nobody will buy a driverless car.

Some have already.

Expense.
People like to drive.

**** all like to drive all the time, particularly in heavy
traffic and it would be handy to be able to tell your
car to **** off out of the CBD to where there is free
parking and then be able to whistle it up half an
hour before you need to it come and pick you up etc.

Nobody will trust them.

I would.

So, another load of ********.

Your sig is sposed to have a line with just -- on it in front of it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** all like to drive all the time, particularly in heavy
traffic and it would be handy to be able to tell your
car to **** off out of the CBD to where there is free
parking and then be able to whistle it up half an
hour before you need to it come and pick you up etc.

who will pay the ticket when the car breaks a law?.......you can say you
weren't driving ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

Nobody will buy a driverless car.
Expense.
People like to drive.
Nobody will trust them.
So, another load of ********.

They'd be very useful coming back from the pub. _ mines a 40 minute walkl
away.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote
Rod Speed wrote

**** all like to drive all the time, particularly in heavy
traffic and it would be handy to be able to tell your
car to **** off out of the CBD to where there is free
parking and then be able to whistle it up half an
hour before you need to it come and pick you up etc.

who will pay the ticket when the car breaks a law?.......

It wont when programmed properly.

you can say you weren't driving ....

Corse you weren't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Nov 2017 13:01:52 GMT, Huge wrote:

AFAIK, one of the essential requisites for autonomous vehicles is that
they "talk" to one another.

would a Bentley talk to a Skoda?

I look up to HIM because he is upperclass, and I look
DOWN on him because he is lowerclass ....

Although you may struggle to say which way round they are in this case.

And will they excuse any Seats if any autonomous ones behave like the
ones driven by humans now by muttering
"I'm so sorry, he's from Barcelona."

G Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2017 21:11, Huge wrote:
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
[...]

it is not your friends that buy you drink .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 18:58:32 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

Nobody will buy a driverless car.
Expense.
People like to drive.
Nobody will trust them.
So, another load of ********.

They'd be very useful coming back from the pub. _ mines a 40 minute walkl
away.

On the way there or on the way back.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

Nobody will buy a driverless car.
Expense.
People like to drive.
Nobody will trust them.
So, another load of ********.

They'd be very useful coming back from the pub. _ mines a 40 minute walkl
away.

It's harry. Driverless cars will be a roaring success.

And I for one would love to have one. What kind of arsehole enjoys
motorway driving?

When they are good enough, I can see them being great for many journeys,
both long boring ones or shorter repetetive ones.

I forsee one massive problem though. Once pedestrians and cyclists get
used to them, they'll simply step/pull out without waiting for a gap in
the traffic, knowing that the cars WILL stop. A recipe for chaos as huge
numbers of pedestrians cross anywhere and everywhere causing emergency
stops, minor injuries as passengers are thrown around and traffic
stopping and starting continually causing massive delays. Cyclists will
be free to jump all the lights in safety, change lanes without warning,
ride the wrong way along roads, etc.

At least cars with actual drivers will still be identifieable by their
number plates, so they won't be able to rely on the same actions without
any sanctions.

It'll also be a paradise for muggers who can wait 'til only a single car
is passing, jump out and rob the passengers.

The only practical way I can see to prevent these problems is one that I
can't see being accepted - program the cars to sometimes not stop in
time, so that people remain wary. Not late enough to cause serious
injury, but certainly enough to hurt and shock.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 23:18:36 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

[...]

All good points that I'd not considered (as I'm not a Highwayman or
red-light-jumping cyclist). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 20/11/2017 21:11, Huge wrote:
On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
[...]

Cant see that happening while there are still real drivers driving.

At least cars with actual drivers will still be identifieable by their
number plates,

You dont know they will have different number plates,
or that the driverless car isnt being driven by a human
to get home when the driverless system has had a brain
fade or a sensor failure and will only allow a human to
drive it, not the computer.

so they won't be able to rely on the same actions without any sanctions.

It'll also be a paradise for muggers who can wait 'til only a single car
is passing, jump out and rob the passengers.

All that needs is a mugger detector in the driverless
car and just run them over and claim self defence.

The only practical way I can see to prevent these problems is one that I
can't see being accepted - program the cars to sometimes not stop in time,
so that people remain wary. Not late enough to cause serious injury, but
certainly enough to hurt and shock.

The other obvious fix is to have the driverless car record the
individual who pulls that stunt, do facial/body recognition
and send that to the cops and have them frogged off to the
cop shop and given a good thrashing in one of the cells out
of camera range. They wont do it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I forsee one massive problem though. Once pedestrians and cyclists get
used to them, they'll simply step/pull out without waiting for a gap in
the traffic, knowing that the cars WILL stop.

They seem to do that already round here. Pedestrians looking at their
phone as so many do are oblivious to traffic. Many cyclists seem to think
the highway code - designed to keep all safe - doesn't apply to them.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I forsee one massive problem though. Once pedestrians and cyclists get
used to them, they'll simply step/pull out without waiting for a gap in
the traffic, knowing that the cars WILL stop.

They seem to do that already round here. Pedestrians looking at their
phone as so many do are oblivious to traffic. Many cyclists seem to think
the highway code - designed to keep all safe - doesn't apply to them.

it doesn't when I'm on my bike....tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
I forsee one massive problem though. Once pedestrians and cyclists get
used to them, they'll simply step/pull out without waiting for a gap in
the traffic, knowing that the cars WILL stop.

They seem to do that already round here. Pedestrians looking at their
phone as so many do are oblivious to traffic. Many cyclists seem to think
the highway code - designed to keep all safe - doesn't apply to them.

it doesn't when I'm on my bike....tee hee

far too dangerous to keep to the code on a bike with all those wummin
drivers about ...pavement is best .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I reckon that driverless cars (or something similar) will become the
norm sometime in the future. At present there are about 1,800 people
killed every year on British roads. A driverless system could reduce
that to nearly zero.

How about: Just walk into your hall were there is a panel on the wall
into which you place your order for a car at a certain time to go to a
certain place (just like a mini cab) and it will turn up, you get in
and you're off. I think that's what the famous app-driven mini-car
company are aiming for; Then they won't even have to pay the gig
economy drivers because there won't be any.

If 1,800 people were being killed in UK aircraft crashes every year
there would be an outcry, but for the illusion of freedom that the car
gives us we apparently accept the deaths as a reasonable price to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I love most driving and have a 230bhp car that is
absolutely brilliant fun. Mind you, I still prefer cycling, when the
weather's clement
- Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike wrote

I reckon that driverless cars (or something similar) will
become the norm sometime in the future. At present there
are about 1,800 people killed every year on British roads.
A driverless system could reduce that to nearly zero.

Yep. But might get tricky in some situations like heavy snow etc.

How about: Just walk into your hall were there is a panel
on the wall into which you place your order for a car at a
certain time to go to a certain place (just like a mini cab)

Makes more sense to use your mobile phone and then you
use the same thing when you order the car when not at home.

And it will be interesting to see how many prefer to have
their own personal driverless car that is guaranteed to be
available whenever you need your car and can look after
itself parking wise when you are in a big city etc.

and it will turn up, you get in and you're off. I think that's what
the famous app-driven mini-car company are aiming for;

That's less clear on the shared car question.

Then they won't even have to pay the gig
economy drivers because there won't be any.

But you will obviously have to pay for the use of the car.

If 1,800 people were being killed in UK aircraft crashes every year
there would be an outcry, but for the illusion of freedom that the car
gives us we apparently accept the deaths as a reasonable price to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I love most driving and have a
230bhp car that is absolutely brilliant fun. Mind you,
I still prefer cycling, when the weather's clement

So you will still be out and about killing people when the weather's
clement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-11-20, Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
It's worked well on my last two cars. Only two I've had with it. If
only they could make rain sensing wipers that work properly. ;-)

Are the designers of rain sensing wipers the same people saying we will
all be using driverless cars by 2021? :-)

*applause*

Will a queue of driverless cars, waiting at traffic lights all
move off at exactly the same time, or will it be the usual
yo-yo effect as each car waits until the car in front has started
to move ?.

Nobody will buy a driverless car.
Expense.
People like to drive.
Nobody will trust them.
So, another load of ********.

I would buy one tomorrow if they existed and I had the cash.
Not everyone wants to have to concentrate on driving in queues when they
could be doing something else.
Why do you think chauffeurs exist?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 19:17:33 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

I would buy one tomorrow if they existed and I had the cash.
Not everyone wants to have to concentrate on driving in queues when they
could be doing something else.
Why do you think chauffeurs exist?

Polish the car between journeys so it presents the right impression,
open the doors so the owner feels important and has their status
confirmed ,guard the car so anything left in it is at less risk of
being nicked . Act as a sympathetic ear if the owner wants some light
conversation, do the odd errand like going to a shop to get something
while the owner is in a meeting.
Allows the owner to imbibe alcohol without having to restrict the
intake to drive.
Driverless cars will be nice for a lot of people but I think those who
have chauffeurs will prefer to retain them.

I wonder if driverless cars will allow somebody to be taken home from
a night at the pub or if any future regulations to allow the operation
of them will still require someone in charge and in a fit state to
make decisions if required.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Corse they will, just like taxis and ubers are free to do now.

or if any future regulations to allow the operation
of them will still require someone in charge and
in a fit state to make decisions if required.

No need if they have a mode where they just stop
somewhere safe if the **** hits the fan with the system
and say there is system included that decides that one
of the occupants is trying to make it do something stupid.

Heavy aircraft already have that with one of the pilots
trying to do something stupid, they just get ignored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
writes
I forsee one massive problem though. Once pedestrians and cyclists get
used to them, they'll simply step/pull out without waiting for a gap in
the traffic, knowing that the cars WILL stop.

And human drivers of other vehicles too.
--
bert