DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   P'boarding a ceiling - noggins? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600361-pboarding-ceiling-noggins.html)

[email protected] November 17th 17 11:35 AM

P'boarding a ceiling - noggins?

I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

Tricky Dicky[_4_] November 17th 17 01:27 PM

P'boarding a ceiling - noggins?

I have owned three houses and none have had noggins either between joists or round the perimeter. The site book gives you the ideal situation which they have to to cover themselves but nobody does it. It's a bit like the instructions on paint tins regarding preparation before painting anyone slavishly following the instruction to the letter would never make a profit. It's a cop out for the manufacturers when things go wrong who can simply say " Ah! Did you follow that instruction? No! Sorry can't help"

Richard

Iggy November 17th 17 02:44 PM

P'boarding a ceiling - noggins?

replying to mailbin, Iggy wrote:
Add the noggins. Or, add full length timbers. Either is common practice today,
it's much better and stronger. Yes, even today it's skipped and
plaster-boarders "float" the ceiling edges as a lazy shortcut, since they
don't care about fire sealing or blocking and only pursue a pretty package
that's patently defective and inferior methodology.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-1250239-.htm

[email protected] November 17th 17 05:17 PM

On Friday, 17 November 2017 11:35:43 UTC, wrote:
I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

You can do it either way.

NT

Jim November 17th 17 06:41 PM

P'boarding a ceiling - noggins?

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to mailbin, Iggy wrote:
Add the noggins. Or, add full length timbers. Either is common practice today,
it's much better and stronger. Yes, even today it's skipped and
plaster-boarders "float" the ceiling edges as a lazy shortcut, since they
don't care about fire sealing or blocking and only pursue a pretty package
that's patently defective and inferior methodology.

You know nowt lad!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jim November 17th 17 06:41 PM

Wrote in message:
On Friday, 17 November 2017 11:35:43 UTC, wrote:
I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

You can do it either way.

NT

Like you'd know ??:-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] November 17th 17 06:44 PM

On Friday, 17 November 2017 18:30:16 UTC, jim wrote:
tabbypurr Wrote in message:
On Friday, 17 November 2017 11:35:43 UTC, wrote:

I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

You can do it either way.

Like you'd know ??:-D

I would cos I've done it. That's why I said. You're one of the few that failed to work that out. And I bet never will.

Your reply won't be anything of substance or interest.

Jim November 17th 17 07:41 PM

Sad sick trolling ****.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John Rumm November 18th 17 12:57 AM

On 17/11/2017 11:35, wrote:
I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

I would say you want support at the edges of the room, but don't need it
at every short joint. (especially if you are using scrim and skim after)

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] November 18th 17 01:38 AM

On Saturday, 18 November 2017 00:57:19 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/11/2017 11:35, wrote:

I need to P'board a ceiling (5.5m x 2.9m, with joists at 400 centres)
but there aren't any noggins down the long sides because it used to be
lath+plaster. I've found conflicting advice about whether or not noggins
are needed down the long outside edges and also about whether noggins
are needed to support board end joints. Page 338 of the "site book" at
http://www.british-gypsum.com says that 12.5mm board is OK to 450
centres but that noggins are always required around the perimeter, but
looking elsewhere it seems that noggins are often skipped. I suspect
I've answered my own question by typing this (noggins down the sides but
not at joints) but it would be useful to hear what others do.

I would say you want support at the edges of the room, but don't need it
at every short joint. (especially if you are using scrim and skim after)

Without support you'll never keep edge cracking at bay. Ditto elsewhere if the gaps are large. But you can be cheap/quick and do it anyway.

NT

Andrew[_22_] November 19th 17 11:37 AM

wrote:

[...]

Since expansion and contraction of the entire ceiling is going to result
in edge cracking, I don't how perimeter noggins will help.

If you are concerned about fire-stopping the perimeter then fit
gypsum coving all round. Sorted.

[email protected] November 19th 17 04:14 PM

On 17/11/2017 11:35, wrote:

[...]

Without support you also add flexing up/down of the PB, which makes matters much worse.

NT