DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   British Workers Wanted - Channel 4 (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/600353-british-workers-wanted-channel-4-a.html)

JNugent[_4_] November 19th 17 03:55 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
In article ,
Mark wrote:
Go for the basics. The basic OAP for a single person (assuming full
contribution years) is £119 The basic uneployment benefit if under 25 is
£57. Both can be supplemented by means tested benefits if eligible.

Now either one is super generous or one is parsimonious.

IMHO neither are generous.

Quite. Thus if you agree 119 isn't generous for a single OAP to live on,
just how is half that generous for a younger person?

No retired person lives on £119 a week. Pension credits make it up
to £8000 per year and then opens the doors to other juicy benefits.

Does that mean you're confirming the 57 quid a week the unemployed get is
too low?

People keep doing this. First someone asserts that RP is £119 a week
(when it's £155 minimum for new claims and more than that if Pension
Credit is involved).

Now UB is apparently £57 a week when it's actually £73 a week for
claimants over 25 (that's the contributory rates) and up to £23,000 a
years in London and £20,000 a year in rUK at the means-tested rates
whether above or below 25.

The flat rate only lasts 26 weeks anyway and for claimants with no other
resources (and especially if they have housing costs or dependants),
they'll get the means-tested variety, which is more.

JNugent[_4_] November 19th 17 03:57 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
JNugent wrote:

I have never seen a house with no heating. The Georgian house I lived in
in the 1950s had a fireplace in every room except the bathroom and the
kitchen.

You've not looked very hard. My parents house built in the '30s had no
form of heating in the bedrooms. Not even a power socket as built.

Did it have no form of heating at all, not even in the ground floor
living rooms?

Only if the answer to that question is "no" does it tend to disprove
what I said.

JNugent[_4_] November 19th 17 03:58 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
JNugent wrote:

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
Around here you couldn't get a shed for £65K and average earnings are
around the same.

And the moral of this story is...

...go north, young man. And get on the ladder.

Ah - right. So those excellent value houses can be bought close to where
well paid work is available? So much for the North/South divide.

sigh

The discussion was about *average* property prices and an assertion that
everyone in the UK has been disadvantaged by increases in them.

The assertion has been undermined by a few awkward facts.

The fact that houses are cheap in areas where there is little well paid
work to be had?

Goal-posts shifted While-U-Wait?

JNugent[_4_] November 19th 17 03:59 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 19/11/2017 02:08, Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 20:42:10 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 18/11/2017 16:13, Yellow wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Go for the basics. The basic OAP for a single person (assuming full
contribution years) is £119

Not since April 2016. Much more now, and many people have Serps
entitlements too.

Plus free bus travel, heating and council tax discount for those
with less than ~£16,000 in savings.

How much is free travel worth in London ?.

I would love a pensioner's bus pass but am not old enough unfortunately,
and was wistfully thinking about them only the other day.

I have one! :-)

Make the most of it!

I left off applying for a few years after qualifying, reasoning that it
was of limited use (since it can't be used before 09:30), but when I
realised that it can be used before that time in London, it became an
obvious thing to do, because I sometimes have to work for the day in
Central London, some way from the relevant railway terminal.

I concluded I would be prepared to pay a couple of hundred quid, if not
more, for such a wonderful perk that cannot actually be purchased at any
price.

Steady on.

Unless you live in London, it only covers you for the buses.

I do not live in London and was not aware it covered more than buses
there.

I would simply love to be able to use buses to travel around my entire
area without the hassle of tickets that only take you so far. Just to be
able to get on a bus, get off and get on to another one without having
to pre-plan. Bliss.

I have loads of friends who are old enough to qualify and they buzz
about all over the place and think nothing of going to towns miles away
just to have lunch and a walk round.

Yeah, but that's easier still with a car!

Rod Speed November 19th 17 04:14 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 08:44:39 +1100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that 20-25%
of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****.

You are right - but the real numbers are still shocking, and 1 in
20 adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year old.

Sure, but presumably most of those are recent immigrants and the
problem is with the language and not that they cant read or write at all.

How, unless they have learning difficulties of course, is that possible?

By being recent immigrants.

Bet there arent any just out of school who can't do facebook or twitter.

And there are plenty of jobs like cleaners and even retail
staff that don't need anything special reading wise and
don't need to be able to read a bus timetable for work.

And plenty of jobs don?t need you to be able to do either anyway.

One thing I was hoping to hear was how much the organisers of
Goodwood revival were paying the agency to supply those 18
£7.50 per hour staff ?. We didn't get to know that, but did get
a glimpse of the Mercedes emblem on the steering wheel of the
younger divorcee running the show. (The one who voted remain).

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 07:59 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

Andrew wrote:

[...]

I like the car for transporting goods or if it is pouring with rain or
if I have lots of places to visit in one day, but personally I would
rather take the bus for a leisurely day out or a trip to the sea front
on a busy Sunday.

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 08:05 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that 20-25%
of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****.

You are right - but the real numbers are still shocking, and 1 in
20 adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year old.

Sure, but presumably most of those are recent immigrants and the
problem is with the language and not that they cant read or write at all.

That is not how I took the reports that google popped up when I searched
before writing that and I believe they were referring to native English
speakers.

Rod Speed November 19th 17 08:21 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

T...

wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that
20-25%
of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****.

You are right - but the real numbers are still shocking, and 1 in
20 adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year old.

Sure, but presumably most of those are recent immigrants and the
problem is with the language and not that they cant read or write at all.

That is not how I took the reports that google popped up when I searched
before writing that and I believe they were referring to native English
speakers.

Nope, that particular 'report' that claimed that 1 in 20
adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year
old was talking about adults, not native english speakers.

And even if it was talking about native english speakers,
its completely silly to claim that 1 in 20 adults reportedly
only have the reading age of a 5 year old when almost all of
them can in fact use facebook and twitter quite adequately.

soup[_9_] November 19th 17 09:32 AM

On 18/11/2017 19:19, Fredxxx wrote:

You seem to forget that 20-25%
of the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

That 25% seems very high . Do you mean they haven't got O grade English
( or equivalent)or that they can't read or write at all?

soup[_9_] November 19th 17 09:34 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 19/11/2017 00:46, Fredxxx wrote:

I was also thinking of this article:
Â* https://www.rt.com/uk/357676-literac...n-adults-oecd/

1 in 20 is not 25% .

soup[_9_] November 19th 17 09:37 AM

On 19/11/2017 02:19, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

I was also thinking of this article:
Â* https://www.rt.com/uk/357676-literac...n-adults-oecd/

That says absolutely NOTHING about what percentage
of native adults in Britain are unable to read and write.

Erm pardon me getting involved in some one else's argument, but the
first words are 1 in 20

Fredxxx November 19th 17 10:12 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On 19/11/2017 03:58, JNugent wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* JNugent wrote:

In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* JNugent wrote:
Around here you couldn't get a shed for £65K and average earnings are
around the same.

And the moral of this story is...

...go north, young man. And get on the ladder.

Ah - right. So those excellent value houses can be bought close to
where
well paid work is available? So much for the North/South divide.

sigh

The discussion was about *average* property prices and an assertion that
everyone in the UK has been disadvantaged by increases in them.

The assertion has been undermined by a few awkward facts.

The fact that houses are cheap in areas where there is little well paid
work to be had?

Goal-posts shifted While-U-Wait?

Is that an admission there is "little well paid work to be had"?

Fredxxx November 19th 17 10:17 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
It's rather odd really. Capitalist want a free market. But not when it
comes to those who are employed.

I might call myself a capitalist, and am happy for workers to strike, as
long as the company can fire the striking workers and hire alternative
labour.

Would that include immigrant labour - or would you exclude them?

We're told employment is at an all time high. You think it easy to sack an
entire workforce and replace them?

At £70k a pop for a unskilled/semi skilled job, I would have no trouble
at all.

Murdock had no problem in replacing the print workers, remember?

The best laugh I've had was when management decided to do 'our' jobs when
we were on strike. They gave up after breaking a few things.

I might have thought you would be calling them scabs?

Are you the sort to support the supply of labour in protectionists schemes.

Most employees I know if unhappy with the pay and conditions simply
move. If pay and conditions are the market norm, then it's best to stay
put and shut up.

Some companies went out of business through union action. Red Robbo
comes to mind.

tim... November 19th 17 10:17 AM

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 18/11/2017 19:19, Fredxxx wrote:
Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that 20-25% of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Are you sure ?. How come the turnout at the EU referendum was so high ?.

How did this 25% know where to put their cross ?.

because the current test for being able to read and write sets the barrier
stupidly high

They have replaced the simple check of reading and writing with the term
"functionally literate"

which doesn't just check that you can read, for example a daily newspaper,
but that you understand current technology

It's nonsense check IMHO

tim

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 10:18 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:21:05 +1100, Rod Speed
wrote:

T...

wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message

Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that
20-25%
of
the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****.

You are right - but the real numbers are still shocking, and 1 in
20 adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year old.

Sure, but presumably most of those are recent immigrants and the
problem is with the language and not that they cant read or write at all.

That is not how I took the reports that google popped up when I searched
before writing that and I believe they were referring to native English
speakers.

Nope, that particular 'report' that claimed that 1 in 20
adults reportedly only have the reading age of a 5 year
old was talking about adults, not native english speakers.

The report is clearly referring to general literally skills, not how
badly (or otherwise) new arrivals speak English.

tim... November 19th 17 10:31 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 18/11/2017 17:40, tim... wrote:
No it doesn't

It is a pretence by HMG that it does.

If you retire now and have never been contracted out

that's it

there is nothing in the headline announcement that says this

it is hidden in the smallest of small print

and have at least 35 years of full rate NI contribs
then you will get £155 a week. In fact you will get a
lot more than £155 because you will also have serps
entitlements and your benefits will be calculated
under the old and the new schemes and the higher
amount paid.

Only people who have been substantially contracted-out
will get somewhere between £119 and £155.

like me you mean

and my contracted out payments certainly wont be making up the difference

(though I will be able to take them as cash)

tim

tim... November 19th 17 10:33 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:40:46 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 14:38:58 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Go for the basics. The basic OAP for a single person (assuming full
contribution years) is £119 The basic uneployment benefit if under
25
is
£57. Both can be supplemented by means tested benefits if eligible.

Now either one is super generous or one is parsimonious.

IMHO neither are generous.

Quite. Thus if you agree 119 isn't generous for a single OAP to live
on,

That £119 figure is incorrect.

The current pension starts at £155

No it doesn't

It does if you are paid up.

only if fully paid up NOT contracted out

It is a pretence by HMG that it does.

Did they fool you?

Yes they did

with 35 years contributions it comes as a surprise that my pension
expectation is 120 pounds something

tim

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:38 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Fredxxx wrote:
You're showing your true colours. Not only do you want benefits for
the unemployed abolished or reduced, but you also rub your hands at
the idea of people losing their jobs.

Its human nature to wish bad things to those who disrupt your life
through taking selfish industrial action. If the union members were
unhappy with pay and conditions, they could just get another job.

Yup. A train driver can simply get a job as a merchant banker at 300 grand
a year. Problem solved.
Do love the way many think others should do such and such. But never
themselves, of course. Their job is essential and worth every penny.

It was one reason why Maggie Thatcher rose to power. A large section of
the electorate wanted Arthur Scargill to sport a blooded nose. She
kindly served that on a plate, the rest is history.

Yes it is. The current housing mess very much down to her. And so much
else. Making naked greed fashionable being the most obvious.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

tim... November 19th 17 10:38 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 18/11/2017 21:44, Rod Speed wrote:

"Fredxxx" wrote in message
On 18/11/2017 18:59, pamela wrote:
On 13:53 18 Nov 2017, Andrew wrote:

On 17/11/2017 13:40, JoeJoe wrote:

How many loaves of bread would that have bought?

£7.50 can easily buy you at least 15 loaves nowadays.

£7.50 is a lot more than the folks from Latvia, Poland and
other places can earn. This is the problem, their sheer weight
of numbers means that employers and parastitic agencies can
operate the sort of 'flexible' employment that employers could
only dream about 20 years ago. And they are happy to live 12 to
a house to save money.

Those migrant workers have to pay UK costs while living here.
Looking at what they would earn in their home countries is largely
irrelevant.

Meanwhile down in Mythyr Tydfil there is an army of unemployed
folk who have spent a whole generation on the dole, or more
likely 'disability' benefits and they cannot even be arsed to
get the bus or train down to Cardiff where there is plenty of
work. They don't even have to learn another language on the job
either.

Those same migrant workers provide a shining example of a good work
ethic for UK workshy to see.

Two employers I have spoken to some time ago, who have a significant
proportions of migrant workers, say that after 18 months to 2 years
they seem to acquire British work ethics.

Unfortunately the response of a UK
workshy person is to get resentful rather than to seek a way to
improve themselves to the point of getting a job.

Many can't expect to improve their lot. You seem to forget that 20-25%
of the indigenous adult population are unable to read and write.

Oh bull****. And plenty of jobs dont need you to be able to do either
anyway.

No, but they tend to pay minimum wage.

Sure, but the reason its the legal minimum is because
it is possible to 'live' on that. And quite decently too.

well the loony lefties will tell you otherwise

in fact some not quite so loonies will tell you otherwise

tim

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:41 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:18:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
I would love a pensioner's bus pass but am not old enough unfortunately,
and was wistfully thinking about them only the other day.

I concluded I would be prepared to pay a couple of hundred quid, if not
more, for such a wonderful perk that cannot actually be purchased at any
price.

You can buy a pass that gives unlimited travel in London - similar to the
Freedom pass.

I am sure you can but as I do not live in London it would be a bit of a
waste of my cash. :-)

I have however just looked at the price of Stagecoach tickets and a 52
week ticket for "the south" that only covers the coast from Portsmouth
to Worthing, so not as far east as Brighton because at Shoreham it
changes to a different bus company, is £844.

The Freedom pass doesn't include coaches. Only local service buses. If I
need to travel outside London, I have to pay the excess.

--
*I believe five out of four people have trouble with fractions. *

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:43 AM

Yellow wrote:
I would simply love to be able to use buses to travel around my entire
area without the hassle of tickets that only take you so far. Just to be
able to get on a bus, get off and get on to another one without having
to pre-plan. Bliss.

I have loads of friends who are old enough to qualify and they buzz
about all over the place and think nothing of going to towns miles away
just to have lunch and a walk round.

Hope you are jealous of all the other things that come with old age too,
then.

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:48 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 16:46:46 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
We are discussing both. The minimum wage and unemployment benefits
are linked and cannot be considered in isolation. Obviously there
should be incentives to work, but that means work should pay well,
not that benefits should be squeezed so that people cannot manage.

But the notion that cutting benefits will force everyone into taking a
job is standard Tory mantra. Doesn't matter if it works or not. Or who
it hurts.

And a standard socialist mantra is that giving people benefits will win
them votes. Doesn't matter if it works or not. Or who it hurts.

If there are people abusing the benefit system, the law already covers
this. Assuming Tory cuts to those who check up on such things haven't made
that impossible, of course.

But I'd guess you want a society where the poorest are just left to fend
for themselves. You're certainly not alone there.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance.

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:53 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
I'm talking about the basic pension that all will be getting.

Which is now £155 (plus the inflation increases since it was
introduced).

More ********. I'm an OAP and don't get anything like 155 per week.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 10:57 AM

Yellow wrote:
No retired person lives on £119 a week. Pension credits make it up
to £8000 per year and then opens the doors to other juicy benefits.

Does that mean you're confirming the 57 quid a week the unemployed get is
too low?

I am curious - why do you think the employed who are capable of work
should get benefits that are high enough to live on comfortably, in the
long term?

I'm curious as to how much you think you need to live 'comfortably'?

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 10:58 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:33:02 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...

That £119 figure is incorrect.

The current pension starts at £155

No it doesn't

It does if you are paid up.

only if fully paid up NOT contracted out

SERPS does not affect the minimum pension amount of £155 but you can get
more because of it.

It is a pretence by HMG that it does.

Did they fool you?

Yes they did

with 35 years contributions it comes as a surprise that my pension
expectation is 120 pounds something

If you have not yet retired and you have paid all your NI contributions
(which with 35 years I think you have), you will get £155 plus the
inflation rises. If you have SERPS too, then you might get your pension
under the old scheme, but only if you would be due more than the £155.

Why do you think you will only get £120?

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 11:00 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:43:36 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)

First, I am envious, not jealous. Second, don't be a ****.

Andrew[_22_] November 19th 17 11:03 AM

On 19/11/2017 10:31, tim... wrote:
and my contracted out payments certainly wont be making up the difference

My rebate-only PP, started in July 1988 is now worth £58,500 and for a
few years was in the default with-profits-fund but since 2002 new
contribs are in the managed-balanced fund. Nothing paid in since 2008
after the job I was doing was outsourced to India, a fate that most
baby-boomers in the public service don't have to worry about.

I can take the whole lot if I want (less some tax). For many people
with an interest-only loan, that could be a lifeline.

If there had been the option to choose more 'risky' funds I could
have doubled that £58,500 but HMG didn't allow that option.

My main SIPP on the other hand ......

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 11:04 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

In article ,
JNugent wrote:

In article ,
JNugent wrote:

I have never seen a house with no heating. The Georgian house I lived
in in the 1950s had a fireplace in every room except the bathroom and
the kitchen.

You've not looked very hard. My parents house built in the '30s had no
form of heating in the bedrooms. Not even a power socket as built.

Did it have no form of heating at all, not even in the ground floor
living rooms?

Of course it did. Open fires.

Only if the answer to that question is "no" does it tend to disprove
what I said.

So your example of a house with a fireplace in every room was rather
pointless?

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 11:08 AM

JNugent wrote:
The discussion was about *average* property prices and an assertion that
everyone in the UK has been disadvantaged by increases in them.

The assertion has been undermined by a few awkward facts.

The fact that houses are cheap in areas where there is little well paid
work to be had?

Goal-posts shifted While-U-Wait?

Pet, something can only be cheap *if* you have the money to pay for it.

If you have little or no money makes no difference at all if a house costs
20 or 200 grand. Both are then simply statistics.

I'm rather surprised you need this explained to you.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

tim... November 19th 17 11:08 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:33:02 -0000, tim...
wrote:

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...

That £119 figure is incorrect.

The current pension starts at £155

No it doesn't

It does if you are paid up.

only if fully paid up NOT contracted out

SERPS does not affect the minimum pension amount of £155 but you can get
more because of it.

I contracted out of SERPS, my contributions went elsewhere

as such I will NOT get 155 pounds for 35 years contributions

It is a pretence by HMG that it does.

Did they fool you?

Yes they did

with 35 years contributions it comes as a surprise that my pension
expectation is 120 pounds something

If you have not yet retired and you have paid all your NI contributions
(which with 35 years I think you have), you will get £155 plus the
inflation rises.

Not if you chose to contract out

Why do you think you will only get £120?

Because that's what they have told me I will get (because I contracted out)

tim

Andrew[_22_] November 19th 17 11:08 AM

On 19/11/2017 10:33, tim... wrote:
Did they fool you?

Yes they did

with 35 years contributions it comes as a surprise that my pension
expectation is 120 pounds something

tim

How could anyone who was contracted-out for most of their
working lives, and paying *substantially* less NI (you and
your employer) think that they would get the full £155
new pension as well as keeping the benefits of their
occupational or persoanl pension ?. This would be manifestly
unfair on those who never contracted out.

I immediately started wondering where the catch was and
eventually the facts came out.

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 11:12 AM

Fredxxx wrote:
We're told employment is at an all time high. You think it easy to
sack an entire workforce and replace them?

At £70k a pop for a unskilled/semi skilled job, I would have no trouble
at all.

Seems then you should be running the railways. You probably couldn't make
a bigger mess of it than some of the current management.

Murdock had no problem in replacing the print workers, remember?

You have a very short memory. He didn't replace the existing print workers
like for like.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

tim... November 19th 17 11:12 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 17:18:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
[...]

surprisingly, the hourly Portsmouth to Brighton service is a "bus", not a
"coach"

It takes so long to do the journey, don't forget your lunch and your
sleeping bag :-)

tim

Dave Plowman (News) November 19th 17 11:13 AM

Fredxxx wrote:
Some companies went out of business through union action. Red Robbo
comes to mind.

BL went out of business because of Red Robbo, did they? Rather shows you
know as much about the motor industry as anything else.

--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control.

tim... November 19th 17 11:16 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Yellow" wrote in message
T...
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 15:09:12 +0000, Andrew Andrew97d-

Go for the basics. The basic OAP for a single person (assuming full
contribution years) is £119

Not since April 2016. Much more now, and many people have Serps
entitlements too.

Plus free bus travel, heating and council tax discount for those
with less than ~£16,000 in savings.

How much is free travel worth in London ?.

I would love a pensioner's bus pass but am not old enough unfortunately,
and was wistfully thinking about them only the other day.

I concluded I would be prepared to pay a couple of hundred quid, if not
more, for such a wonderful perk that cannot actually be purchased at any
price.

Doesn't anyone sell fake ones ?

they are "electronically" recognised by most bus operators

I don't think that anyone has mastered the art of counterfeiting this type
of ticket

tim

tim... November 19th 17 11:17 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

T...

Andrew wrote:

[...]

actually it also covers the tram (for everybody)

tim

Fredxxx November 19th 17 11:19 AM

Yellow wrote:
I'm talking about the basic pension that all will be getting.

Which is now £155 (plus the inflation increases since it was
introduced).

More ********. I'm an OAP and don't get anything like 155 per week.

Yellow is wrong, it's not £155

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/what-youll-get

Unless the £4.55 is the "plus the inflation increases since it was
introduced".

Yellow[_3_] November 19th 17 11:19 AM

British Workers Wanted - Channel 4

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:48:17 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Yellow wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 16:46:46 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
We are discussing both. The minimum wage and unemployment benefits
are linked and cannot be considered in isolation. Obviously there
should be incentives to work, but that means work should pay well,
not that benefits should be squeezed so that people cannot manage.

But the notion that cutting benefits will force everyone into taking a
job is standard Tory mantra. Doesn't matter if it works or not. Or who
it hurts.

And a standard socialist mantra is that giving people benefits will win
them votes. Doesn't matter if it works or not. Or who it hurts.

If there are people abusing the benefit system, the law already covers
this.

Assuming Tory cuts to those who check up on such things haven't made
that impossible, of course.

I have not brought up the topic of "people abusing the state" so I have
no idea why you have here given we are discussing legitimate claimants.

But I'd guess you want a society where the poorest are just left to fend
for themselves. You're certainly not alone there.

I want a society where people who can work do because it gives them a
better standard of living and because it leaves more money in the pot
for people who can't, and what I do not want is people who are dependant
on the state for political ends.

Is that really so unreasonable?

tim... November 19th 17 11:23 AM

"Andrew" wrote in message
On 19/11/2017 10:33, tim... wrote:
Did they fool you?

Yes they did

with 35 years contributions it comes as a surprise that my pension
expectation is 120 pounds something

tim

How could anyone who was contracted-out for most of their
working lives, and paying *substantially* less NI (you and

It wasn't substantially less

IIRC it was 2% (from 11%)

tim