Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radial earth return in FAQ diagram

Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview
?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2017 12:46, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from
the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview ?

Why? A radial circuit is just that.

A ring would require all the wires to be returned and tested for continuity.

Can you provide any rule that says you must?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/17 12:46, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview
?

No.

There is no such requirement and it's never been standard practise that
I know of
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2017 12:46, DICEGEORGE wrote:

Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview

In general there is no requirement for a return earth connection.

The exception to this is when implementing high integrity protective
earthing on circuits that you expect to have a high earth leakage
current (i.e. = 10mA) in normal use.

--
Cheers,

John.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DICEGEORGE wrote:

Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end
of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview ?

Those appliances that need a protective earth connection get it from the
three core (twin and earth) cable all the cirtcuits are wired with.
What would be the purpose of an exttra earth connection?

Equipotential bonding is a whole other issus, that may not involve any
part of the radial circuits, let alone the end of them.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

DICEGEORGE wrote:

Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from
the end of the radial circuits?

No.

There is no such requirement and it's never been standard practise that
I know of

Unless a "high integrity earthing" circuit is required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YELLOW ONSITE GUIDE PAGE 82 FIG7.5.II
shows a green/yellow return earth wire from the end of the radial circuit supplying socket outlets and is labelled
"Duplicate protective conductor. Keep close to circuit conductors to reduce EMC effects.

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:14:54 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 22/09/2017 12:46, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview
?

No.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2017 17:22, DICEGEORGE wrote:
YELLOW ONSITE GUIDE PAGE 82 FIG7.5.II
shows a green/yellow return earth wire from the end of the radial circuit supplying socket outlets and is labelled
"Duplicate protective conductor. Keep close to circuit conductors to reduce EMC effects.

That sounds like one of the illustrations in section 7.6 which is
specifically about circuits with high protective conductor currents,
that require high integrity earthing.

i.e. its a special case and not a general requirement.

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 3:14:54 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 22/09/2017 12:46, DICEGEORGE wrote:
Shouldnt there be an additional earth return to consumer unit from the end of the radial circuits in the FAQ diagram at
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nners#Overview
?

No.

--
Adam

--
Cheers,

John.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

aha looking again on Yellow OnSiteGuide A3:2015 page 81 7.5.2 Circuits
"The wiring of every final circuit and distribution circuit having a protective conductor current likely to exceed 10mA must have high integrity protective conductor connections complying with one or more of the following:
(a)***
(b)***
(c) two individual protective conductors *** the ends being terminated independently
(d)***

aha - most radials wont have leakage of more than 10mA,
" i.e. its a special case and not a general requirement."

thanks - that diagram of the extra earth wire had been niggling at the back of my mind as I think about improving the wiring of my house ...

[george]