Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Waste pipe outside diameter

I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and blockwork
walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the idea
that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters.

Can anyone kindly tell me what I should be searching for?

The back up plan is to run the circular saw down the cut off lengths but
I'll wait to be properly informed:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and blockwork
walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the idea
that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters.

Can anyone kindly tell me what I should be searching for?

The back up plan is to run the circular saw down the cut off lengths but
I'll wait to be properly informed:-)

What size are the pipes you want to protect.

Vacuum cleaner extension tubes (metal or plastic) are OD? 32mm or 35mm
depending on model. Ebay has generic products in both sizes/materials.

Example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pack-32m...53.m2749.l2649

Metal may have a thinner wall

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2017 21:47, alan_m wrote:

What size are the pipes you want to protect.

Vacuum cleaner extension tubes (metal or plastic) are OD? 32mm or 35mm
depending on model. Ebay has generic products in both sizes/materials.

Example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pack-32m...53.m2749.l2649

Metal may have a thinner wall

The white waste pipe purchased from Wickes that I have is in two sizes

40mm OD and 34mm OD, wall thickness approx 2mm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 21/09/2017 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and
blockwork walls.
The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.
2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the
idea that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters.
Can anyone kindly tell me what I should be searching for?
The back up plan is to run the circular saw down the cut off lengths
but I'll wait to be properly informed:-)

What size are the pipes you want to protect.

Lots:-) 28mm boiler flow and return, 22mm soft water supply to
distribution point, 15mm hot supply to utility area and wet room.

These will all be thermally insulated and I want to continue this
through the walls to also give protection from expansion abrasion.

Vacuum cleaner extension tubes (metal or plastic) are OD? 32mm or 35mm
depending on model. Ebay has generic products in both sizes/materials.

Example
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Pack-32m...Rod-Set-For-Nu
matic-Henry-Vacuum-Cleaner-Hoovers/270337150156?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX
%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Metal may have a thinner wall

Travis Perkins stock *2"* push fit so I may try measuring the O/D before
purchase.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , alan_m
writes
[...]

Ah! This looks like the answer:-)

http://www.hendersons.co.uk/pipework2/page2.html

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2017 08:52, Tim Lamb wrote:

Lots:-) 28mm boiler flow and return, 22mm soft water supply to
distribution point, 15mm hot supply to utility area and wet room.

These will all be thermally insulated and I want to continue this
through the walls to also give protection from expansion abrasion.

You may be better off, say, sleeving a 22mm pipe with a OD 34mm pipe and
filling the gaps with an expanding foam rather than trying to push an
already insulated pipe through a larger pipe. You could even have one
size of sleeve (35 or 40mm) for all pipe sizes and have different
thickness of expanding foam to hold the pipe in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-22, Tim Lamb wrote:

Ah! This looks like the answer:-)

http://www.hendersons.co.uk/pipework2/page2.html

I'm bookmarking that for future reference --- thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-22, alan_m wrote:

On 22/09/2017 08:52, Tim Lamb wrote:

Lots:-) 28mm boiler flow and return, 22mm soft water supply to
distribution point, 15mm hot supply to utility area and wet room.

These will all be thermally insulated and I want to continue this
through the walls to also give protection from expansion abrasion.

You may be better off, say, sleeving a 22mm pipe with a OD 34mm pipe and
filling the gaps with an expanding foam rather than trying to push an
already insulated pipe through a larger pipe. You could even have one
size of sleeve (35 or 40mm) for all pipe sizes and have different
thickness of expanding foam to hold the pipe in place.

I just assumed he meant he would continue the insulation through the
walls using expanding foam.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/17 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and blockwork
walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the idea
that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters.

Can anyone kindly tell me what I should be searching for?

The back up plan is to run the circular saw down the cut off lengths but
I'll wait to be properly informed:-)

That's what I'd do - but I don't usually sleeve waste pipes through
walls, possibly as I tend to overdrill the holes so there's minimal if
any pipe-wall contact. Maybe I should?

The other thing I have done is to wrap a bit of plastic DPM (heavy gauge
plastic) around the pipe and foam it in, but that also works better if
the hole is over sized. That still allows the pipe to move slightly and
be removed if needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/17 08:52, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 21/09/2017 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and
blockwork walls.
The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.
2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the
idea that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters.
Can anyone kindly tell me what I should be searching for?
The back up plan is to run the circular saw down the cut off lengths
but I'll wait to be properly informed:-)

What size are the pipes you want to protect.

Lots:-) 28mm boiler flow and return, 22mm soft water supply to
distribution point, 15mm hot supply to utility area and wet room.

These will all be thermally insulated and I want to continue this
through the walls to also give protection from expansion abrasion.

For the copper (which I always do sleeve as copper is thin and less
tolerant to abrasion) is to use electrical conduit (25mm for the 15mm
pipes)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21-Sep-17 8:46 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and blockwork
walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the idea
that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters...

Two inches is the bore and you need to add the wall thickness to that to
get the OD. Solvent weld white waste pipe is 56mm OD and push fit is
54mm OD.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 21-Sep-17 8:46 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and
blockwork walls.
The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.
2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the
idea that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters...

Two inches is the bore and you need to add the wall thickness to that
to get the OD. Solvent weld white waste pipe is 56mm OD and push fit is
54mm OD.

Push fit turns out to be closely related to ephemera:-(

Nobody actually stocks the larger sizes.

54 mm would be too tight anyway where I have drilled through plywood
timber frame. Core drills in block are usually well oversize.

Back to option 1. Oh maths:-( circ. = pi x D?

I need to take 15 or so mm out or overlap the cut....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
[...]

The job is done! More time spent punching waste out of the core drill
than drilling:-(

50mm solvent weld pipe with about 14mm cut down the length does the job
nicely.

One trick I discovered... the pipe is keen to maintain the original
shape so I tried strips of tape to control this. Unsurprisingly, plastic
tape stretches but paper masking tape does not!

Very satisfying to cut the tape with a blade and watch the pipe expand
into the hole.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2017 11:34, Nightjar wrote:
On 21-Sep-17 8:46 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and
blockwork walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the idea
that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters...

Two inches is the bore and you need to add the wall thickness to that to
get the OD. Solvent weld white waste pipe is 56mm OD and push fit is
54mm OD.

What is the OD of Floplast WS03?

It's quoted as 50mm but not sure if that is the OD? Going by most other
waste pipe sizes it will be the OD.

Screwfix stock it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 22/09/2017 11:34, Nightjar wrote:
On 21-Sep-17 8:46 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
I am trying to source some thin wall plastic piping to act as a
protective sleeve where other piping passes through brick and
blockwork walls.

The holes I have laboriously bored are 51mm dia.

2" solvent waste pipe from Wickes is too big. Somewhere I got the
idea that push fit and solvent pipe have different diameters...

Two inches is the bore and you need to add the wall thickness to
that to get the OD. Solvent weld white waste pipe is 56mm OD and push
fit is 54mm OD.

What is the OD of Floplast WS03?

It's quoted as 50mm but not sure if that is the OD? Going by most other
waste pipe sizes it will be the OD.

Screwfix stock it.

Jobs done, Fred. In fact splitting an oversize pipe does a better job
because it is able to expand and grip the inside of the hole.

--
Tim Lamb