Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternatives to white coated hardboard, or should I stay with the same?

The 'ceiling' of our little boat is made of sheets of white coated
hardboard. It's badly stained by the previous owner smoking and also
has a few mangled bits so I'm looking to replace it.

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard or are there better
(and/or cheaper) alternatives? It needs to be a similar thickness to
the existing 3.2mm hardboard though I guess it could be a bit thicker
without major problems. I want to be able to just put it up ready
finished, I don't want to paint it after installation.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a supplier who can deliver at a
non-exorbitant price too. I can't transport 8' x 4' in the car easily
but 4' x 4' is fine so I could get 8'x4' here and chop them in half to
take them. Each panel in the boat is around 4' x 4' or a little less.

I have also tried searching for similar material in France but didn't
have much joy.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?

Ah, a good point, it's slightly curved.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 20/09/2017 18:58, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?

Ah, a good point, it's slightly curved.

The curve isn't a problem, except it will throw all your measurements
out when you cut the new material.

How do you propose to cut the new hardboard to fit exactly? Surely, a
spot of filler and some paint is going to be a small fraction of the work?

Where you have joins in the white coated hardboard, how are these
covered at present?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?

it's slightly curved.

I was going to suggest the 5mm T&G PVC ceiling panels, but I think I
wouldn't on a curved ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?

Ah, a good point, it's slightly curved.

The curve isn't a problem, except it will throw all your measurements
out when you cut the new material.

How do you propose to cut the new hardboard to fit exactly? Surely, a
spot of filler and some paint is going to be a small fraction of the work?

I'll take the old piece of hardboard down and use it as a template.

I'd have though repainting would be much more effort than replacing,
it'll take a couple of coats at least.

Where you have joins in the white coated hardboard, how are these
covered at present?

Wooden beads, varnished. They mean that *exact* size isn't all that
important because they overlap the edges of the hardboard by 1cm or
so.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2017 19:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Chris Green wrote:

Should I stay with the white coated hardboard

is it flat, or curved?

it's slightly curved.

I was going to suggest the 5mm T&G PVC ceiling panels, but I think I
wouldn't on a curved ceiling.

The Vee board sold for soffit replacements might work. Usually available
in 1' wide "planks" with T & G edges (the surface is patterned to look
like 3 boards). It will probably go round a shallow curve across the
width of the board. Easy and light to transport if you chop into
reasonable sections.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is Laconite still available. Its a coated hardboard but can have a better
choice of finishes and colours than the plain bog standard stuff. Not heard
of it recently. Of course it might be not used for fire reasons or
something, I do not know. It looks like the coating is some kind of plastic.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:33:04 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

3mm white mdf is available and might be stronger than hardboard. It will still conform to a slight curve.

Assuming you can get it cut to size how will you manoeuvre it into position ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green pretended :
Should I stay with the white coated hardboard or are there better
(and/or cheaper) alternatives? It needs to be a similar thickness to
the existing 3.2mm hardboard though I guess it could be a bit thicker
without major problems. I want to be able to just put it up ready
finished, I don't want to paint it after installation.

Look up caravan parts suppliers and repairers. You can get thin ply
from them, in plain white, textured or with various coloured patterns.
It rolls up quite tightly, into a 4 foot wide roll without damage so it
is easy to transport - how do I know? I took my car with a large
trailer to collect 3 of 8x4 sheets, only to find it would easily fit
in my car's boot rolled up and tied.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

The white MDF I found appeared to be white primer only, I'm not quite
sure how well that will last?

Assuming you can get it cut to size how will you manoeuvre it into position ?

It's not too difficult as the roof isn't very high and the pieces of
ceiling are only 4' x 4'.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green pretended :
Should I stay with the white coated hardboard or are there better
(and/or cheaper) alternatives? It needs to be a similar thickness to
the existing 3.2mm hardboard though I guess it could be a bit thicker
without major problems. I want to be able to just put it up ready
finished, I don't want to paint it after installation.

Look up caravan parts suppliers and repairers. You can get thin ply
from them, in plain white, textured or with various coloured patterns.
It rolls up quite tightly, into a 4 foot wide roll without damage so it
is easy to transport - how do I know? I took my car with a large
trailer to collect 3 of 8x4 sheets, only to find it would easily fit
in my car's boot rolled up and tied.

That sounds good, thank you, I'll do a search.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 9/21/2017 5:59 PM, Chris Green wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green pretended :
Should I stay with the white coated hardboard or are there better
(and/or cheaper) alternatives? It needs to be a similar thickness to
the existing 3.2mm hardboard though I guess it could be a bit thicker
without major problems. I want to be able to just put it up ready
finished, I don't want to paint it after installation.

Look up caravan parts suppliers and repairers. You can get thin ply
from them, in plain white, textured or with various coloured patterns.
It rolls up quite tightly, into a 4 foot wide roll without damage so it
is easy to transport - how do I know? I took my car with a large
trailer to collect 3 of 8x4 sheets, only to find it would easily fit
in my car's boot rolled up and tied.

That sounds good, thank you, I'll do a search.

The "ceiling" on a boat is called the deckhead, said a passing
pedant...just spellcheck the word before posting!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 21 September 2017 16:16:02 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

It doesn't, you'd need to topcoat it.
Personally I wouldn't want mdf in a boat, it doesn't survive getting wet well.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

OK, that pushes me back towards the hardboard option. It's not *that*
easy to find it though, not at a reasonable price anyway.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Are PVC, polycarb or acrylic too expensive?
Could you paint some of the existing board to keep costs down?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

There are suppliers advertising 8'x4' sheets of white faced hardboard
for around nine or ten pounds, cheap enough! The problem is finding a
supplier near enough and who actually has stock.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
wrote:
The white MDF I found appeared to be white primer only, I'm not quite
sure how well that will last?

It doesn't, you'd need to topcoat it.
Personally I wouldn't want mdf in a boat, it doesn't survive getting
wet well.

OK, that pushes me back towards the hardboard option. It's not *that*
easy to find it though, not at a reasonable price anyway.

Is there no thin marine ply you could cut to size and then get sprayed
by your local car repairers?

Alternatively you could upgrade:-) My daughter now has two narrow boats
and mooring for only one! She is considering selling/renting out the
original as British Waterways appear to be re-thinking the rules.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
wrote:
The white MDF I found appeared to be white primer only, I'm not quite
sure how well that will last?

It doesn't, you'd need to topcoat it.
Personally I wouldn't want mdf in a boat, it doesn't survive getting
wet well.

OK, that pushes me back towards the hardboard option. It's not *that*
easy to find it though, not at a reasonable price anyway.

Is there no thin marine ply you could cut to size and then get sprayed
by your local car repairers?

I'm sure I could get ply and have it painted but it seems a long,
relatively expensive and rather complicated way to get something very
simple.

Alternatively you could upgrade:-) My daughter now has two narrow boats
and mooring for only one! She is considering selling/renting out the
original as British Waterways appear to be re-thinking the rules.

:-)

I have nothing specifically against narrowboats but wider (like ours,
11 metres long, 3 metres beam) are much more practical. Ours is in
Franmce too!

.... not to mention that we too have a boat for sale in the UK, it's an
ex broads cruiser fitted out as a 1 or 2 person liveaboard and moored
right by London City Airport.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/09/2017 09:29, Chris Green wrote:
OK, that pushes me back towards the hardboard option. It's not *that*
easy to find it though, not at a reasonable price anyway.

Is there no thin marine ply you could cut to size and then get sprayed
by your local car repairers?

I'm sure I could get ply and have it painted but it seems a long,
relatively expensive and rather complicated way to get something very
simple.

You could just remove the existing hardboard next time you are at the
boat, and take it home with you. Give it a stain block and a couple of
coats of paint, whilst working "the right way up" rather than crouched
upside down in the cabin. Then put it back again next time you go.

That's probably going to be the cheapest way to do this, and not that
much work compared to tracking down the material you want at the right
price!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Alternatively you could upgrade:-) My daughter now has two narrow boats
and mooring for only one! She is considering selling/renting out the
original as British Waterways appear to be re-thinking the rules.

:-)

I have nothing specifically against narrowboats but wider (like ours,
11 metres long, 3 metres beam) are much more practical. Ours is in
Franmce too!

... not to mention that we too have a boat for sale in the UK, it's an
ex broads cruiser fitted out as a 1 or 2 person liveaboard and moored
right by London City Airport.

Permanent mooring with access for residential use in London? I'm
surprised they are not queuing up!

She has a mooring at the St. Pancras marina with car parking but no
residential use. The engine overheating you advised on seemed to be some
mystery airlock now resolved.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/09/2017 10:01, Tim Lamb wrote:

Permanent mooring with access for residential use in London? I'm
surprised they are not queuing up!

Why doesn't the owner of the mooring simply increase the charges until
the queue disappears?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
[...]

True! :-)

I'm not sure it'll look quite as good as new material but you're quite
right, it might well be 'easier' in some ways.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

Alternatively you could upgrade:-) My daughter now has two narrow boats
and mooring for only one! She is considering selling/renting out the
original as British Waterways appear to be re-thinking the rules.

:-)

I have nothing specifically against narrowboats but wider (like ours,
11 metres long, 3 metres beam) are much more practical. Ours is in
Franmce too!

... not to mention that we too have a boat for sale in the UK, it's an
ex broads cruiser fitted out as a 1 or 2 person liveaboard and moored
right by London City Airport.

Permanent mooring with access for residential use in London? I'm
surprised they are not queuing up!

It's not properly 'residential', though in reality lots of people use
it as such. I think even the rules allow you to stay 4 or 5 nights a
week without any isuses. That's exactly what my wife did, she had a
job in Newham and used the boat as a pleasant and quite comfortable
'flat' for 4 nights a week. At a mooring fee of only £304/month it
made a *lot* of sense.

She has a mooring at the St. Pancras marina with car parking but no
residential use. The engine overheating you advised on seemed to be some
mystery airlock now resolved.

Did I - advise on overheating that is?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes
She has a mooring at the St. Pancras marina with car parking but no
residential use. The engine overheating you advised on seemed to be some
mystery airlock now resolved.

Did I - advise on overheating that is?

It is a while back. I think she was stuck at Kensal Rise and you offered
help.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:16:02 PM UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

The 3mm white mdf we use is a finished white. Not a primer, Actually I think its not a pure white. Something called Oatmeal i.s.t.r.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 22/09/2017 14:26, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes
She has a mooring at the St. Pancras marina with car parking but no
residential use. The engine overheating you advised on seemed to be some
mystery airlock now resolved.

Did I - advise on overheating that is?

It is a while back. I think she was stuck at Kensal Rise and you offered
help.

I suppose she over-heated going uphill to Kensal Rise?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a thought.
Take panels down

get a load of e.g. cloth backed vinyl and cover the old boards in it
using PVA and copydex for the edges.

refit panels

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

get a load of e.g. cloth backed vinyl and cover the old boards in it
using PVA and copydex for the edges.

Or, in best Blue Peter tradition, sticky back plastic i.e. Fablon.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I had a thought.
Take panels down

get a load of e.g. cloth backed vinyl and cover the old boards in it
using PVA and copydex for the edges.

refit panels

So, that's the sticky-backed plastic. Where do the yoghurt pots come in?