Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How difficult to replace a nozzle on a modern (ish) Oil Boiler

Hi All,

Apologies for not being around much, life keeps getting in the way!

We have the builders in (the job is too big for me, calls for experience I don't have, and time I don't have). A couple of days ago, he severed the oil supply pipe while breaking up and removing a patio.......

He has done a temporary repair, and it seems fine.......

However, there was a lot of air in the Line.

The boiler (the original Wallstar conventional (Non Combi)) boiler is mounted approx. 3 -4 feet higher than the current level of oil in the tank, and it normally pulls through the oil just fine (no need for a tiger loop).

I THOUGHT that I could just keep pressing in the orange light on the lock out relay thingy while it sucked the oil with air pockets through and once it got all the air out of the way it would be fine. This approach appeared to work. Then after a while we noticed the boiler wouldn't fire, and no amount of pressing the relay would entice it to.

I couldn't find the instruction booklet, but found something on Wallstar's web site which said......... If you pull air through it, you will have to replace the nozzle. Now there is what I presume is a nozzle just inside the casing (I assume it is an old but functional one left there by the service engineer.

Questions.........

How SHOULD I have got the air out of the system (or was that the correct/only way)?

How easy is it to replace a nozzle? (and how do I do it)?

Sorry, I don't have details of the burner to hand, it's small ish, the left hand side of what you can see is silver and looks like (but probably isn't) an electric motor, and the right hand side is red. The whole lot (of what you can see from outside the house (the boiler sits in/through the wall) is about 9" square and goes back about 8 inches.

TIA

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2017 17:35, wrote:
[...]

Perhaps turn off the oil and power supplies first!

To replace the nozzle, you first need to remove the burner from the
boiler. Hope fully there is something to losen that is near where the
burner goes into boiler. The burner should still be attached by an
electrical cable and a flexible oil supply pipe. There is probably a
shroud round the jet which you can then remove. You may need to losen
the electrodes, but they must be put back in the correct place which you
will find in the boiler installation manual which you can likely download.

Unscrew the burner using a spanner whilst supporting whatever it is
attached to with another spanner, as you don't want to break the
mounting. The jet size will be marked on the jet and you should be able
to buy another one exactly the same.

However to solve your problem, I would make sure that the tank is full.

Do you have a Riello burner RDB, they have red plastic cases. If so you
may also be able to download the manual for it.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 10:37:43 AM UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 20/09/2017 17:35, wrote:
[...]

Thanks Michael,

The tank is going to be moved on Monday, so we've told the builder we'll just manage without till Tuesday when we can get the professionals in to re-commission the boiler.

Cheers

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

In that case make sure that who ever comes services the boiler properly.
Oil boilers need regular servicing as they get dirty inside, the jets
wear and then let in more oil which wont get burnt properly unless the
air is also increased, and any filters in the oil supply should be
changed before they clog up.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The Professionals in question service it each year, and we've not had any problems in normal use. They were on site at 9:00 this morning, and I assume it's all up and running (as I've not had a call to say otherwise).

What oil nozzle micky Home Repair 11 December 9th 13 01:35 PM
modern condensing boiler vs. dacades old standard boiler, AL_z UK diy 60 May 6th 10 09:55 PM
Difficult to replace a D/W heater element??? bloomingdale Home Repair 2 January 15th 07 06:58 AM
How easy/difficult is it to replace an electric shower unit? Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com UK diy 4 October 12th 05 08:47 PM
Anderson windows, difficult to replace glass? [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 26th 05 01:38 AM