Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default door to door salespests

On Monday, 18 September 2017 19:51:56 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:15:48 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

They aren't, as you said, only 40% of the voteable population voted to
leave.

and less voted to stay, I see you havent; worked that one out yet.

Whoosh. I said the vote should have just been to leave, if you want
to. The status quo was we were already in so that didn't need voting
for.

That's what I was told at school and how a referedum was differnt from a vote but they also told me that due to nuclear power the bpostage to send you the bill would be more expensive than teh electricity you used so energy would be virtually free, and we'd be working 25-30 hours weeks.

'Right, who wants to carry on doing what we have been???' No, the onus
was on those who wanted to do something different to vote to do that,
not everyone else.

Maybe you went to the same school I did.

That's the biggest problem with remoaners is that they can't count.

Aww bless. To be a 'remoaner' I would have to have voted Remain but I
didn't. You don't seem to be able to get *anything* right do you? ;-(

No to be a remoaner you have to moan about the outcome irrespective of what you voted for. I doubt many of those that voted to leave are remoaners.

IUf' they'd had that inteligence enough to count they would have voted wouldn't they ?

No. It's those who had the intelligence to realise it was an
unrealistic and unreasonable question that had no definitive answer
who weren't forced into voting at all.

So you're trying to tell me it was the most inteligent that didn't vote ?

but tehy were too bone idea to go and vote.

Yup, prod the lemmings and they will all follow each other over the
cliff ... but not one of them knows why.

Trouble is lemming don't do that sort of thing like jump off cliffs just because others do.

Or was it really true that more wanted to leave than wanted to stay ?

Like I said (but will repeat for the hard of thinking), it wasn't
about wanting to continue doing what ever were already doing but who
wanted to do something *else*.

and for that to happen the only option was to leave. There was no option to change the EU and while we we're in EEC there was no option not for it to become the EU and while in the EU there was no option to change much if anything other than what the EU polititions wanted to change.

Mate, like the whole Brexit scam it's not for those not wanting to
leave (the status quo) to justify anything to those who do.

Which is exactly why the remainers lost too stupid to put their point forward in a way that could be understood.

The 'Remainers' shouldn't have been in the race. It should have been
'Who want's to leave', and that's all.

I'd agree and that's what I was told as a kid, so as an inteligent remoaners they decided not to vote as I said.

Ok.

Brexisters didn't win remoaners lost.

We may have all lost (on the 'beliefs' of a minority) mate.

Yes May did lose.
I'm not sure whether or not you think the MEP's minority 'beliefs' were or are good for EU citizens with rising umemployment in spain, Berliners complianing that too many peole were speaking Englsih what the **** to they expect the world isnlt going to start speaking german all of a sudden. Strangley enough I was told at college that I should take technical german if I wanted to work in electronics in the furture (back in 1981).

You are the one going on about me using rechargeable C cells in the
doorbell you jokingly described with an *if* that 'it was the old
solenoid type' ... which it is. But you came to all the justification
for your reason why my uses of rechargeable was illogical *to you*
without asking me why I did or finding out why I did.

snip

First you said it was because you already had the battereos

I did.

So the previous use for those batteries ......

Ah, so now you are at least asking questions, to learn facts to *then*
be able to decide. Just unlike Brexit then. ;-)

No the facts are fixed it's just your POV that is differnt.

The POV of a DIYer might be differnt from that of a professonal.
A DIYer may well use a scredriver to chisel out some wood.
A professonal would choose a chisel, if he were told he wasnt; allowed to he might them go through various 'best' tools and may well end up with a screwdriver.

A portable radio that took 4 C cells.

My dad had over 30 AA nicds he spent so much time charging them then putting them in the garden as night lights hopping they'll charge during the day.

We have a solar powered porch light that seems to be able to cope (in
the summer when it's least needed at least).

True renewable energy, most productive when it's least needed.

the you said you brought them for £2.49 each or a pair

I did (or thereabouts).

you couldn't remmeber.

Correct, other than they weren't 'expensive' (or I wouldn't have
bought them).

At least that makes some sense.

Phew

Whether or not buying 4 or 8 for a radio is another matter.
My radio casstte takes 6 Cs when I brought it it was a small ghetto blaster type and it needed the Cs for a bit of power output, but I never used it with batts I was never the sort of person to put ti on my shoulder and walk down the road annoying everyone with my music chocie.

It does make me wonder why yuo had so many C enloops,

Well that's a step forward at least, you 'wondering' rather than just
'commenting'. ;-)

Yep preparing for the new term.
Me :- there's no eating or drinking in the lab,
Student :- but I'm hungry/thirsty
Me :- I don't care this is a teaching lab NOT a cafe
Student :- But it says you can eat and drink in the ITL building in the handbook.
Me : This IS NOT the ITL building, and even then that only applies to out of hours access.

they'd be good for torches
and toys but not sure what elese they might have been good for.

Radios?

Depends how you use your radio but generally speaking I wouldn't have thought so.
It does seem that C cells especaailly rechargable are going out of fashion.
eneloop pro don't have C & D versions I'm guessing there's a reason.

Might be worth buying up the old C & D to build you're own UPS.
But only as a DIY project.

C & D cells seem to be less used than they used to be.

Agreed but mainly because many things have gone over to Lithium.

Yes or NiNH or liPo .
My that's it, I have to instruct stends to use current ;-) technology for their designs as this isnlt a DIY project.
Do not attempt to use our old lead acid batteris for designing a Mars rover..

Rechargable batteries in such a system as a bell push isn't usually the best option,

Maybe not.

rechargable batteries work best where there is high current drain.

Like with a solenoid you mean?

Yes if yuor bell push used a soleniond to push a hammer back and forth hitting a bell,

It does ...

realyl I thought it was a ding-dong that could be adjusted to other sounds I didnl;t think they uised the old style hammer on a bell.
I guess if it's good enough for big ben then...

btu I thought your more modern ding-dong wouldn;t have such a thing but would have ciricutry as there are other 'bell' options.

Mine doesn't, just an electro-mechanical solenoid driven one option
'Ding-dong'.

Oh right that link must have been wrong then.

I buit my own at school used a 40pin chip that help about 30 ring-tones you could get it to pick one relatively randomly although split into 3 banks of 10 sounds. It was touch sensative too.

Yes, they were a fad at one time ... and very annoying.

as were those car horns.
I've tried to predict what those in battery/silant cars will use when it become illegal to drive silently.

Just that a friend of mine on a baot is on the look out for old taxi batteeies

Ok?

Itls matching the corect type of battery with the apillication.
Which is why yuo don'; see C cells used in mobile phone.
Or even AAAs.Of course some cameras take AA or AAA but most high end camera have dedicated batteries for a few reasons I guess.

Ask someone that's got a canal boat which sort of battery is best for scrounging.

Most use Marine / AGM batteries for the engine starting and marine /
deep cycle batteries for the domestic supply (often multiple 100+Ah
12V in parallel).

Yes they cost quite a bit, for a fraction of the cost you can get old taxi batteries from scrap yards that are still quite usuable. I doubt he could have used a bank of C cells.

Oh really ... like if you 'fond some' in your battery box? ;-)

You'd be amazed at my battery box.

No, I was taking the P mate as I'm the one with the 'spare' C cells in
my battery box remember? ;-)

about 60 NiMH AA , a few of each of 3.6V 7.2V LiPo.
A few lead acid 6V, about 300 CR2032s,
Alkaline :- 30 PP3s , 30 AAA 40 AA, 6 X Ds adn 20 Cs

Nice selection.

a few 2450s and SR44s and a selection of others .

Ok.

And 2 mobility scooter batteries.

12V x ~20ah?

https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/st...ar geable.php

So I guess I'm used to choose the correct battery for the job.

And you would also be guessing that I don't of course?

Well your prorities are differnt.

Although I would like to know the relative efficiencies of each.
Which I first though of years ago in that is it better for me to build a
PSU for the bell or whether to use rechargable batteries.

They were planing on ruuning a renewable energy course unit here but not sure what happened to it. I only found out last we that we run 120 differnt units for our students so they are going to try to cut the number down.

So maybe it;s because it's a habit of me recommenting the right type of battery fro the tyope of job.

As do I. Do you have a point (yet)?

You can use stuff that is on it's way out because your main aim is to save money
ours is to educate and move on to better technologies.
While I do keep discontinued components I won't let our studetns use them for projects.
It's like when I asked them 5 years ago to stop doing labs with 74LS76 chips as they were getting hard to buy and to stop using 74LS chips in labs in general.
trying to drag the teaching into the 21st century.

A couple of weeks ago I dismanta;ed an old 3rd year project, it was still working but was intemintant, what I found was 3 AAA batteries in a AA battereis holder held in with blu-tak.

Were you running the project by chance?

No I don't run projects, the academics set the project which was design a timer or device used in the olympics or some such wording.

I assume you have to take them out to charge them.

Yes. Like I would take them out if they were alkaline's and they were
flat.

So you would need 8 and not 4 for a working bell.

Wow, he can count! ;-)

So how often do you have to charge them ?

I doibt you worked out what capacity recharagbles would run for X time.

It wasn't relevant. I had the C cells, I needed some C cells, I used
the C cells? shrug

by the sea shore no doubt.
But I was under the impression that you brought the C cells for the bell.
As yuo said you brought them on offer ior cheaper than usual, soi I assumed you brought 8 of them for your bell unit, rather than bell ened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 11:57:45 UTC+1, tim... wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Monday, 18 September 2017 18:50:44 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Saturday, 16 September 2017 00:57:41 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
whisky-dave wrote

Trouble is some stuff is too big to go in one of those.

Obviously but the postie obviouly has to leave it somewhere.

The last lot of grog I bought online was much too big
to put in what is sensible to have locked box wise.

So where did it go ?

I answered the door when they knocked, and helped
them to move it from the van into my house.

Tad radical, I realise.

So you were there, so there wasn' a problem then.

Wrong, as always. I was in fact having a sleep and was happy
to have the system wake me to receive and sign for the stuff,
but didnt want to be woken if it was the ****ing joveys etc.

How does your systenm detect joveys , some sort of colour ID ?

By detecting the couriers and postys
and not waking me if its anyone else.

How does it tell them apart from other people ?
And when it does detect them what does it do differntly that it wouldn;t
do if it were a jovey ?

why are you all speaking 'strine?

tim

Sometimes you have to speak in a language the other person(s) understands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 11:59:00 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

They tend to show up in vans and even when they dont,
dont tend to have kids with them like the joveys do, ****wit.

So you're system of detection relies on detecting or not detecting vans and detecting whether kids are present or not. The 'God' peolpe near me have a mini bus with some church thing written along the side. My next door neirgbour has an old Fed Ex van like the one below.

http://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/...ans-in-europe/

His painted over the Ex bit but the Fed still exists, I hear his son talking on his phone refering to themselves as the Feds.

And when it does detect them what does it do
differntly that it wouldn;t do if it were a jovey ?

The system wakes me up if I am asleep.

How does it do that, and in time. ?

and have
told it that that is what I prefer instead of having
to take the card that they leave to the distribution
center to get the stuff I have bought.

you have told it ?
what's this it ?, the surveillance system.

The joveys and sundry other parasites get ignored
by the system and it doesnt wake me up for them.

How does it ignore them ?
Must be a pretty advanced system, do you think you could design one that could ignore terrorists trying to access the country.

And if I have decided that I dont even want to answer
the door at all to cold callers and joveys, just ignores them
completely or tells them using a voice announcement that
cold callers, joveys and 'charity' bludgers arent welcome etc.

You can do that with a nore on a door you don't need special surveillance system.

And allows couriers and postys to indicate that they
are couriers and postys etc so that even when the system
has got the detection wrong, they can indicate that.

ANd how does it tell that the delivery person isn't a jovey with a wrapped up bible in his hand ?

Not a shred of rocket science required,

Lucky for you then isnlt it.

even if you are so
****ing stupid that you can't work out the basics for yourself.

How do you tell a jovey with a bible fropm a delivery person with pizza ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 04:25:36 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Aww bless. To be a 'remoaner' I would have to have voted Remain but I
didn't. You don't seem to be able to get *anything* right do you? ;-(

No to be a remoaner you have to moan about the outcome irrespective of what you voted for.

No, that would be a 'moaner'. The 'Re' bit implies an allegiance to
the REmain side.

I doubt many of those that voted to leave are remoaners.

No, they will be failed Brexiteers that are moaning if we don't leave
or leave on anything but with their hopes 100% fulfilled.

IUf' they'd had that inteligence enough to count they would have voted wouldn't they ?

No. It's those who had the intelligence to realise it was an
unrealistic and unreasonable question that had no definitive answer
who weren't forced into voting at all.

So you're trying to tell me it was the most inteligent that didn't vote ?

I'm saying given the lack of information it would be very difficult
for anyone without an axe to grind on not on a crusade to be able gain
a fully informed and reasoned decision that would be best for 'most
people'. So, you had those voting remain simply to nullify a racist
(as my Mrs and daughter did) and the ignorant who actually believed
any of the hype they were given.

I was talking to a mate who lives in Denmark and he was saying that if
we do leave the EU and the customs union (on the basis of a non
binding poll) it will make things very difficult for the company he
works for to continue buy the components they need from us. It's not
the money, it's the inconvenience of getting a anything through
customs.

but tehy were too bone idea to go and vote.

Yup, prod the lemmings and they will all follow each other over the
cliff ... but not one of them knows why.

Trouble is lemming don't do that sort of thing like jump off cliffs just because others do.

Brexiteers do though ... proven by listening to them confuse
(potentially empty) promises with fact.

Or was it really true that more wanted to leave than wanted to stay ?

Like I said (but will repeat for the hard of thinking), it wasn't
about wanting to continue doing what ever were already doing but who
wanted to do something *else*.

and for that to happen the only option was to leave.

Quite, and that's what the question should have been.

There was no option to change the EU and while we we're in EEC

Who says and why would we want to?

there was no option not for it to become the EU and while in the EU there was no option to change much if anything other than what the EU polititions wanted to change.

Other than we as a member state along with all the other member states
have the ability to change *anything* about the EU. Without all the
member states there is no EU.

snip

So the previous use for those batteries ......

Ah, so now you are at least asking questions, to learn facts to *then*
be able to decide. Just unlike Brexit then. ;-)

No the facts are fixed it's just your POV that is differnt.

You *are* bonkers. How can my POV have changed, they are my batteries
in my doorbell for my reasons!

The POV of a DIYer might be differnt from that of a professonal.

Yes, and?

A DIYer may well use a scredriver to chisel out some wood.

Yes, and?

A professonal would choose a chisel, if he were told he wasnt; allowed to he might them go through various 'best' tools and may well end up with a screwdriver.

Yes, and?

snip

My radio casstte takes 6 Cs when I brought it it was a small ghetto blaster type and it needed the Cs for a bit of power output, but I never used it with batts

snip

Brilliant. You bought a portable appliance that you never used
portably and you think me using rechargeable batteries in a doorbell
is strange!

snip

they'd be good for torches
and toys but not sure what elese they might have been good for.

Radios?

Depends how you use your radio

Portably?

but generally speaking I wouldn't have thought so.

Of course you wouldn't.

It does seem that C cells especaailly rechargable are going out of fashion.

Of course, as more stuff moves over to Lithium.

eneloop pro don't have C & D versions I'm guessing there's a reason.

I doubt it as few know what they are.

Might be worth buying up the old C & D to build you're own UPS.
But only as a DIY project.

snip
Yes if yuor bell push used a soleniond to push a hammer back and forth hitting a bell,

It does ...

realyl I thought it was a ding-dong that could be adjusted to other sounds I didnl;t think

See, this is what happens when you 'don't think'.

snip

Mine doesn't, just an electro-mechanical solenoid driven one option
'Ding-dong'.

Oh right that link must have been wrong then.

What link? This one?:
https://www.friedland.co.uk/EN-GB/CH...ages/D107.aspx
What part of '2 notes' didn't you get?
What part of:

More Fixed Wall Chimes

D113 - Surf
D117 - Ding Dong
D128 - Hockey
D230 - Big Ben
D239 - Bandera
D454 - Warbler

confused you?

(Mine is in fact the D117 but they all look the same and work the same
way).

snip

Most use Marine / AGM batteries for the engine starting and marine /
deep cycle batteries for the domestic supply (often multiple 100+Ah
12V in parallel).

Yes they cost quite a bit, for a fraction of the cost you can get old taxi batteries from scrap yards that are still quite usuable.

Brilliant. You could put that idea to Elon Musk as obviously old Taxi
batteries are the future!

snip

And 2 mobility scooter batteries.

12V x ~20ah?

https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/st...ar geable.php

Have you tested the capacity? Charge them up, put a 60W car headlamp
on it (~5A) and time it down to about 10.5 V and it should be around 4
hours.

So I guess I'm used to choose the correct battery for the job.

And you would also be guessing that I don't of course?

Well your prorities are differnt.

Only if you don't also want to use the best battery for the job.

Although I would like to know the relative efficiencies of each.

I'm not sure it's even worth the energy required to work it out is it?

snip

You can use stuff that is on it's way out because your main aim is to save money

Whose aim is?

ours is to educate and move on to better technologies.

I'm using the best technology for those things I'm currently working
on. Not the same thing as putting some batteries in a doorbell.

snip

So you would need 8 and not 4 for a working bell.

Wow, he can count! ;-)

So how often do you have to charge them ?

So infrequently I really couldn't say. That's the advantage of 4000
mAh eneloops mate. ;-)

I doibt you worked out what capacity recharagbles would run for X time.

It wasn't relevant. I had the C cells, I needed some C cells, I used
the C cells? shrug

by the sea shore no doubt.
But I was under the impression that you brought the C cells for the bell.

And what does 'assumption' make?

As yuo said you brought them on offer ior cheaper than usual, soi I assumed you brought 8 of them for your bell unit, rather than bell ened.

Again with your assumptions. ;-(

Nope, I bought them for the radio then used them later on in the bell.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nope, thats just two obvious ways to distinguish between them.

The 'God' peolpe near me have a mini bus
with some church thing written along the side.

So, like I said previously, the logo on the van or minibus would be useful
and even you should have noticed that vans an minibuses do look rather
different and even you should have noticed that when a minibus shows
up with quite a few people in it, that its unlikely to be a courier or
posty.

And when the god botherers show up, the mini bus shows
up, they all get out and pester most of the houses in the
street. You dont see the couriers operate like that.

My next door neirgbour has an old Fed Ex van like the one below.

And even you should have noticed that the logo
is different to the minibus the god botherers have.

http://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/...ans-in-europe/

His painted over the Ex bit but the Fed still exists, I hear his
son talking on his phone refering to themselves as the Feds.

And when it does detect them what does it do
differntly that it wouldn;t do if it were a jovey ?

The system wakes me up if I am asleep.

How does it do that,

By getting a tad radical and getting the phone to ring
with a unique ring tone that indicates its the system
that has detected a courier or posty at the door.

and in time. ?

Yep, and it can obviously tell the person at the door
that I am coming to answer the door or get even more
radical and have a decent screen that displays a useful
message to the person at the door, etc etc etc.

And if it has decided that the bugger is dropping a card
without bothering to knock etc, tell it that it has been
seen doing that and that I will be coming to the door
to accept the parcel and if they dont wait for that, that
I will be telling their employer that they didnt bother
to wait and that they will be made to come back with
the parcel by their employer etc.

and have told it that that is what I prefer instead
of having to take the card that they leave to the
distribution center to get the stuff I have bought.

you have told it ?
what's this it ?, the surveillance system.

One I have done myself.

The joveys and sundry other parasites get ignored
by the system and it doesnt wake me up for them.

How does it ignore them ?

Doesnt bother to tell me that they have knocked unless
I have told it that I dont mind talking to them as long as
I'm not sleeping or up on the roof etc.

And if I have decided that I dont even want to answer
the door at all to cold callers and joveys, just ignores them
completely or tells them using a voice announcement that
cold callers, joveys and 'charity' bludgers arent welcome etc.

You can do that with a nore on a door you
don't need special surveillance system.

The difference is that I dont mind talking to them when
I'm not sleeping and I'm not busy doing something else.

And allows couriers and postys to indicate that they
are couriers and postys etc so that even when the system
has got the detection wrong, they can indicate that.

ANd how does it tell that the delivery person
isn't a jovey with a wrapped up bible in his hand ?

The god botherers dont show up with wrapped up bibles.

And if it get that wrong in that sort of unusual situation,
its a lot better than just having a ****ing doorbell.

Not a shred of rocket science required, even if you are so
****ing stupid that you can't work out the basics for yourself.

How do you tell a jovey with a bible fropm a delivery person with pizza ?

Even you should have noticed that you do tend to have to order the
pizza and that the pizza delivery people do tend to show up in a car
with a logo on it, and even if they dont, and its a pizza for someone
else being delivered in error, so you didnt order it, the thing the
food comes in is a lot bigger than a ****ing bible and it happens
at a different time of day than the god botherers and cold callers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 18:28:16 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 04:25:36 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

Aww bless. To be a 'remoaner' I would have to have voted Remain but I
didn't. You don't seem to be able to get *anything* right do you? ;-(

No to be a remoaner you have to moan about the outcome irrespective of what you voted for.

No, that would be a 'moaner'. The 'Re' bit implies an allegiance to
the REmain side.

SO remoaners are those that didn't get their way in a democratic vote.

I doubt many of those that voted to leave are remoaners.

No, they will be failed Brexiteers that are moaning if we don't leave
or leave on anything but with their hopes 100% fulfilled.

and the remaoners are those that didn't get what they wanted.

IUf' they'd had that inteligence enough to count they would have voted wouldn't they ?

No. It's those who had the intelligence to realise it was an
unrealistic and unreasonable question that had no definitive answer
who weren't forced into voting at all.

So you're trying to tell me it was the most inteligent that didn't vote ?

I'm saying given the lack of information it would be very difficult
for anyone without an axe to grind on not on a crusade to be able gain
a fully informed and reasoned decision that would be best for 'most
people'.

So what's new that has happend since and before roman times.

While we were in the EU some were saying we should have gone with the Euro.

So, you had those voting remain simply to nullify a racist
(as my Mrs and daughter did) and the ignorant who actually believed
any of the hype they were given.

or they didnlt believ in the EU or rather Gemanys way of doing things,
if you lok how Germany is doing they have far wore problems with racism and so do the Polish. I doubt you watched panorama last night. We don;lt want that sort of thing in the UK do we, or perhaps we do.

I was talking to a mate who lives in Denmark.

That;s the socist country that took the valuables from refuees and other migrants entering their country (apart from wedding rings) to pay for their keep.

and he was saying that if
we do leave the EU and the customs union (on the basis of a non
binding poll) it will make things very difficult for the company he
works for to continue buy the components they need from us.

well of course it will because the EU operates a closed market NOT a free market.

It's not
the money, it's the inconvenience of getting a anything through
customs.

You should look at customs then. I bet it's easier to import crack cocaine.

but tehy were too bone idea to go and vote.

Yup, prod the lemmings and they will all follow each other over the
cliff ... but not one of them knows why.

Trouble is lemming don't do that sort of thing like jump off cliffs just because others do.

Brexiteers do though ... proven by listening to them confuse
(potentially empty) promises with fact.

That'/s politics nothing to do with leaving or staying.

Or was it really true that more wanted to leave than wanted to stay ?

Like I said (but will repeat for the hard of thinking), it wasn't
about wanting to continue doing what ever were already doing but who
wanted to do something *else*.

and for that to happen the only option was to leave.

Quite, and that's what the question should have been.

I remmeber that was one of the options on the voting form leave or remain
were the two options I saw, did you see something else ?

There was no option to change the EU and while we we're in EEC

Who says and why would we want to?

what do you mean who says ?
We as in the voting public voted to be part of the EEC NOT the EU.
Is that so difficult to understand.

there was no option not for it to become the EU and while in the EU there was no option to change much if anything other than what the EU polititions wanted to change.

Other than we as a member state along with all the other member states
have the ability to change *anything* about the EU. Without all the
member states there is no EU.

Which is why the EU wasn't working as well as it was as it expanded.

snip

So the previous use for those batteries ......

Ah, so now you are at least asking questions, to learn facts to *then*
be able to decide. Just unlike Brexit then. ;-)

No the facts are fixed it's just your POV that is differnt.

You *are* bonkers. How can my POV have changed, they are my batteries
in my doorbell for my reasons!

yuo POV is whatever you have to hand is best my POV is that you should use what is best, this is what education is about. if we just use what we have then we'd be sticking with coal and oil for the furture, and we'd still be using zinc choloride batteries wrapped in cardboard, I remmebr them D cells quite well they often leaked in my favaoutie toy which was a forklift.

The POV of a DIYer might be differnt from that of a professonal.

Yes, and?

Maybe that the point I'm used to looking at this from a teaching perspective so whey a Q is posted I think what should be the say to arther than what a DIYer would do.

A DIYer may well use a scredriver to chisel out some wood.

Yes, and?

When I was sent on a workshop course to train students they showed me how to use a chisel and the like (well I already knew), when back in my own department we didn't have any chisels for student use (we still don't) so what should a student do to chisel out wood ?

A professonal would choose a chisel, if he were told he wasnt; allowed to he might them go through various 'best' tools and may well end up with a screwdriver.

Yes, and?

exactly.

My radio casstte takes 6 Cs when I brought it it was a small ghetto blaster type and it needed the Cs for a bit of power output, but I never used it with batts

snip

Brilliant. You bought a portable appliance that you never used
portably and you think me using rechargeable batteries in a doorbell
is strange!

Yep. All such equipemnt that was portable because I used it to record from a turntable in another room too, so it was portable.
This is the exact model.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-RE...SwQG5 ZvSf%7E

It still works as my 2nd alarm it automatticaly switches on via a timer, (which wouldnl;t be the case if I ran it from batteries).
But when I brough it about 30+ years ago there wasn't an option to but that model that didnlt take batteries.

they'd be good for torches
and toys but not sure what elese they might have been good for.

Radios?

Depends how you use your radio

Portably?

Well if you want to walk along the street with it I guess so, but I didn't.

It does seem that C cells especaailly rechargable are going out of fashion.

Of course, as more stuff moves over to Lithium.

eneloop pro don't have C & D versions I'm guessing there's a reason.

I doubt it as few know what they are.

So yuo;re saying few know what a C or D cell is for.

Might be worth buying up the old C & D to build you're own UPS.
But only as a DIY project.

snip
Yes if yuor bell push used a soleniond to push a hammer back and forth hitting a bell,

It does ...

realyl I thought it was a ding-dong that could be adjusted to other sounds I didnl;t think

See, this is what happens when you 'don't think'.

I didn't need to, I had one like that years ago.
It too one had.

snip

Mine doesn't, just an electro-mechanical solenoid driven one option
'Ding-dong'.

Oh right that link must have been wrong then.

What link? This one?:
https://www.friedland.co.uk/EN-GB/CH...ages/D107.aspx
What part of '2 notes' didn't you get?
What part of:

More Fixed Wall Chimes

D113 - Surf
D117 - Ding Dong
D128 - Hockey
D230 - Big Ben
D239 - Bandera
D454 - Warbler

confused you?

(Mine is in fact the D117 but they all look the same and work the same
way).

But how do they work internally that is the point.

Most use Marine / AGM batteries for the engine starting and marine /
deep cycle batteries for the domestic supply (often multiple 100+Ah
12V in parallel).

Yes they cost quite a bit, for a fraction of the cost you can get old taxi batteries from scrap yards that are still quite usuable.

Brilliant. You could put that idea to Elon Musk as obviously old Taxi
batteries are the future!

They are as much of the future as C cells yes that is my point well done.
I would not advise eton musk to start usiong C cells for space X or Tesla cars but he seems to already know that.
Cab uo see why he hasn't brought up all the old eneloop C cells ?

snip

And 2 mobility scooter batteries.

12V x ~20ah?

https://www.thesafetycentre.co.uk/st...ar geable.php

Have you tested the capacity? Charge them up, put a 60W car headlamp
on it (~5A) and time it down to about 10.5 V and it should be around 4
hours.

No why would I , I put them straight into the mobility scooter where they were to be used, which is why they were brought.

So I guess I'm used to choose the correct battery for the job.

And you would also be guessing that I don't of course?

Well your prorities are differnt.

Only if you don't also want to use the best battery for the job.

C rechargables are NOT the best for that job, any more than lead acid are.

Although I would like to know the relative efficiencies of each.

I'm not sure it's even worth the energy required to work it out is it?

depends on you're aim I guess.

snip

You can use stuff that is on it's way out because your main aim is to save money

Whose aim is?

yuo';re so said you brought the C cells because they were on offer didn't you.
That;'s not what I'd do here as we have little use for C cells.

ours is to educate and move on to better technologies.

I'm using the best technology for those things I'm currently working
on. Not the same thing as putting some batteries in a doorbell.

I doubt such C cells are the best technology for door bells.

snip

So you would need 8 and not 4 for a working bell.

Wow, he can count! ;-)

So how often do you have to charge them ?

So infrequently I really couldn't say. That's the advantage of 4000
mAh eneloops mate. ;-)

IS it if that is the case then it;d be even betetr using 6V moterbike batteries they can go far higher capacity wise than 4 Ah.

I doibt you worked out what capacity recharagbles would run for X time.

It wasn't relevant. I had the C cells, I needed some C cells, I used
the C cells? shrug

by the sea shore no doubt.
But I was under the impression that you brought the C cells for the bell..

And what does 'assumption' make?

I assumed you'd brough the C cells for the door bell unit.

As yuo said you brought them on offer ior cheaper than usual, soi I assumed you brought 8 of them for your bell unit, rather than bell ened.

Again with your assumptions. ;-(

So why did you buy 8 ?

Nope, I bought them for the radio then used them later on in the bell.

Cheers, T i m

Like my friend did with the taxi batteries as they were no longer any use in the taxi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 20:20:39 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

So how do you detect the diffenrce between visitors ?

The 'God' peolpe near me have a mini bus
with some church thing written along the side.

So, like I said previously, the logo on the van or minibus would be useful
and even you should have noticed that vans an minibuses do look rather
different and even you should have noticed that when a minibus shows
up with quite a few people in it, that its unlikely to be a courier or
posty.

So what surveillance system do you have that works his out ?

And when the god botherers show up, the mini bus shows
up, they all get out and pester most of the houses in the
street. You dont see the couriers operate like that.

So the god botherers always pull up outside your house and they all start bothering you, I wonder why.

My next door neirgbour has an old Fed Ex van like the one below.

And even you should have noticed that the logo
is different to the minibus the god botherers have.

http://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/...ans-in-europe/

but I don't know of a surveillance system that can tell them apart.

His painted over the Ex bit but the Fed still exists, I hear his
son talking on his phone refering to themselves as the Feds.

And when it does detect them what does it do
differntly that it wouldn;t do if it were a jovey ?

The system wakes me up if I am asleep.

How does it do that,

By getting a tad radical and getting the phone to ring
with a unique ring tone that indicates its the system
that has detected a courier or posty at the door.

How does it seprate those people from a jovey ?, or someone selling brooms or a charity or someone trying to get you to change yuor utilities or a politiction canvasing for votes, or a kid wanting sponership for a school run.
You haven't a clue have you.

and in time. ?

Yep, and it can obviously tell the person at the door
that I am coming to answer the door or get even more
radical and have a decent screen that displays a useful
message to the person at the door, etc etc etc.

and you have that do you ?

And if it has decided that the bugger is dropping a card
without bothering to knock etc, tell it that it has been
seen doing that and that I will be coming to the door
to accept the parcel and if they dont wait for that, that
I will be telling their employer that they didnt bother
to wait and that they will be made to come back with
the parcel by their employer etc.

What systen are you using. ?

and have told it that that is what I prefer instead
of having to take the card that they leave to the
distribution center to get the stuff I have bought.

you have told it ?
what's this it ?, the surveillance system.

One I have done myself.

yeah sure.

The joveys and sundry other parasites get ignored
by the system and it doesnt wake me up for them.

How does it ignore them ?

Doesnt bother to tell me that they have knocked unless
I have told it that I dont mind talking to them as long as
I'm not sleeping or up on the roof etc.

How does it know who they are does it use van recognition or facial recognition ?

And if I have decided that I dont even want to answer
the door at all to cold callers and joveys, just ignores them
completely or tells them using a voice announcement that
cold callers, joveys and 'charity' bludgers arent welcome etc.

You can do that with a nore on a door you
don't need special surveillance system.

The difference is that I dont mind talking to them when
I'm not sleeping and I'm not busy doing something else.

But if you're sleeping how do you know who's knocking on the door ?

And allows couriers and postys to indicate that they
are couriers and postys etc so that even when the system
has got the detection wrong, they can indicate that.

ANd how does it tell that the delivery person
isn't a jovey with a wrapped up bible in his hand ?

The god botherers dont show up with wrapped up bibles.

When ever I've seen them they always have pack of leaflets or pamphets to give out.

And if it get that wrong in that sort of unusual situation,
its a lot better than just having a ****ing doorbell.

It would be if I believed you. Maybe yuo should sell yor systenm to the
anti-terrosst people I;m sure you must have a setting that tells you whether the person with the thing in their hand is a deleievry you;ve order some joveys handing out leaflets or a terrosit planting a suspect package.

But I know you are talking **** and that has been shovled where it belongs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 04:46:53 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip pointless circular arguments of fact versus POV

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Facial recognition and other obvious stuff like
the general size and shape of the person etc.

Its not rocket science.

The 'God' peolpe near me have a mini bus
with some church thing written along the side.

So, like I said previously, the logo on the van or minibus would be
useful
and even you should have noticed that vans an minibuses do look rather
different and even you should have noticed that when a minibus shows
up with quite a few people in it, that its unlikely to be a courier or
posty.

So what surveillance system do you have that works his out ?

I already told you, one I developed myself.

And when the god botherers show up, the mini bus shows
up, they all get out and pester most of the houses in the
street. You dont see the couriers operate like that.

So the god botherers always pull up outside your house

Nope, in fact thats one obvious difference with the courier
and posty that do that and the god botherers dont.

And if you can't manage any better than this mindless silly
****, your **** will be flushed where it belongs, as always.

My next door neirgbour has an old Fed Ex van like the one below.

And even you should have noticed that the logo
is different to the minibus the god botherers have.

http://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/...ans-in-europe/

but I don't know of a surveillance system that can tell them apart.

Your pig ignorance is your problem, as always.

His painted over the Ex bit but the Fed still exists, I hear his
son talking on his phone refering to themselves as the Feds.

And when it does detect them what does it do
differntly that it wouldn;t do if it were a jovey ?

The system wakes me up if I am asleep.

How does it do that,

By getting a tad radical and getting the phone to ring
with a unique ring tone that indicates its the system
that has detected a courier or posty at the door.

How does it seprate those people from a jovey ?,

Already told you, repeatedly.

or someone selling brooms or a charity or someone trying
to get you to change yuor utilities or a politiction canvasing
for votes, or a kid wanting sponership for a school run.

All you need to do is distinguish between a courier and all
the rest when deciding which ones you will be allowed to
wake you up when you are expecting a delivery, ****wit.

and in time. ?

Yep, and it can obviously tell the person at the door
that I am coming to answer the door or get even more
radical and have a decent screen that displays a useful
message to the person at the door, etc etc etc.

and you have that do you ?

And if it has decided that the bugger is dropping a card
without bothering to knock etc, tell it that it has been
seen doing that and that I will be coming to the door
to accept the parcel and if they dont wait for that, that
I will be telling their employer that they didnt bother
to wait and that they will be made to come back with
the parcel by their employer etc.

What systen are you using. ?

Already answered that.

and have told it that that is what I prefer instead
of having to take the card that they leave to the
distribution center to get the stuff I have bought.

you have told it ?
what's this it ?, the surveillance system.

One I have done myself.

The joveys and sundry other parasites get ignored
by the system and it doesnt wake me up for them.

How does it ignore them ?

Doesnt bother to tell me that they have knocked unless
I have told it that I dont mind talking to them as long as
I'm not sleeping or up on the roof etc.

How does it know who they are does it use
van recognition or facial recognition ?

Doesnt have to be facial with people.

The system works that out, ****wit.

And allows couriers and postys to indicate that they
are couriers and postys etc so that even when the system
has got the detection wrong, they can indicate that.

ANd how does it tell that the delivery person
isn't a jovey with a wrapped up bible in his hand ?

The god botherers dont show up with wrapped up bibles.

When ever I've seen them they always have
pack of leaflets or pamphets to give out.

Ours have them in a bag they carry. The courier doesnt.

And if it get that wrong in that sort of unusual situation,
its a lot better than just having a ****ing doorbell.

reams of your **** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 18:32:00 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
[...]

It might not be rocket scince but you still havenlt a clue have you.
Swe do this sort of research here and you havent a clue how this works.
Do yuo really have access to the faces of all the delivery drivers and the joveys and anyone else that might happen to come to your door, no you havent'
What height and size are amazon delivery personal compared to joveys or anyone else you havent; a clue have you.

The 'God' peolpe near me have a mini bus
with some church thing written along the side.

So, like I said previously, the logo on the van or minibus would be
useful
and even you should have noticed that vans an minibuses do look rather
different and even you should have noticed that when a minibus shows
up with quite a few people in it, that its unlikely to be a courier or
posty.

So what surveillance system do you have that works his out ?

I already told you, one I developed myself.

You're talking crap you know nothing such things beyond crap TV.

The rest of your **** will be flushed where it belongs, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dont need to, ****wit. JUST keep what shows up the first
time they show up and use it for the next time, ****wit.