Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Additional tap for unsoftened water?

As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 14:12:10 UTC+1, wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

same way they were always done, mounted on the wall.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

I think it's generally agreed that adding extra taps other than by the
kitchen sink is overkill. You're not going to be drinking significant
quantities of water from other taps (or can at least easily avoid doing
so).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water
softener that will provide softened water to all the existing
hot/cold taps, but I want to add a tap for unsoftened water
in a few places (kitchen, bathroom, ensuite).

Why ?

And do you want that with just the cold water or both hot and cold ?

I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and taps because they're
in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an additional tap,
somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

I'd personally do with with a diverter behind the say basin
tap to switch between the two sources, but its not too clear
how well that would work once some of the people in the
house are getting senile and have altzhiemers etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

I think it's generally agreed that adding extra taps other than by the
kitchen sink is overkill. You're not going to be drinking significant
quantities of water from other taps (or can at least easily avoid doing
so).

Dunno. If I was into drinking unsoftened water for some reason,
I'd prefer to have it available wherever I ever drink much water,
particularly in the ensuite etc than to have to fart around getting
it from the kitchen for what I drink at night etc.

Corse that raises the question why its planned to have softened
water everywhere.

On second thoughts, my diverter isnt a great idea if you want
if for drinking water because say one person in the household
is into non softened water for drinking for some reason.

Not convinced that there is any really viable way to do it in the
ensuite and bathroom particularly given that most basins etc
are designed for just two taps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

But do you need one everywhere? If its drinking water then surely only the
Kitchen?

More convenient in the bathroom and ensuite if
you have a glass of water by the bed etc. Some do.

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 14:12:10 UTC+1, wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener that
will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps, but I
want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places (kitchen,
bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing basins and
taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I need to add an
additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the question is ... how?

same way they were always done, mounted on the wall.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2017 20:48, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
wrote:
[...]

Are you aware that softened water had an increased sodium content?
http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/17 17:12, wrote:
On 23/08/17 14:12,
wrote:
As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water softener
that will provide softened water to all the existing hot/cold taps,
but I want to add a tap for unsoftened water in a few places
(kitchen, bathroom, ensuite). I'd prefer not to change the existing
basins and taps because they're in keeping with the (30s) house so I
need to add an additional tap, somehow, at these locations - the
question is ... how?

REaly dont bother.

Its fime to drink softened water.

If you are that fussy, all those extra taps anmd plumbing buys a lot
of bottled water.

There seems to be conflicting advice/opinion about the sodium levels in
softened water for the general population, but advice for elderly and
babies seems to be not to drink it. It seems daft to do a lot of work on
a house and not make provision for hard water for those that might want
it in the future ... it's not much more work or cost. Regardless of all
that - I prefer the taste of hard water.

The actual amount of sodium in a pint of softened water is in most cases
less than you get from eating half a packet of crisps.

It really isnt an issue.

Taste is.

And that's personal. I rather like the taste myself.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-08-23, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water
softener that will provide softened water to all the existing
hot/cold taps, but I want to add a tap for unsoftened water
in a few places (kitchen, bathroom, ensuite).

Why ?

Hard water might possibly be very marginally healthier than softened
water. http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/
And some people prefer the taste of hard/unsoftened water (possibly
just because it's what they are used to).

And do you want that with just the cold water or both hot and cold ?

I doubt anyone drinks water from the hot bathroom or ensuite taps.
Filling a kettle from a hot tap can make sense, but I can't see anyone
bothering with a separate unsoftened hot tap for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-08-23, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

As part of a major refurb I'm planning to install a water
softener that will provide softened water to all the existing
hot/cold taps, but I want to add a tap for unsoftened water
in a few places (kitchen, bathroom, ensuite).

Why ?

Hard water might possibly be very marginally healthier than softened
water. http://www.ukwta.org/technology-areas/faqs/
And some people prefer the taste of hard/unsoftened water (possibly
just because it's what they are used to).

Yeah, I was essentially asking if it was for medical or just
preference/taste
reasons. I should have said that less cryptically.

And do you want that with just the cold water or both hot and cold ?

I doubt anyone drinks water from the hot bathroom or ensuite taps.

Dunno why someone who lives alone who can spend some time in bed
for medical reasons might well want to fill the jug from there instead of
hiking out to the kitchen every time they want a hot drink etc.

Filling a kettle from a hot tap can make sense, but I can't see
anyone bothering with a separate unsoftened hot tap for that.

He clearly does for some reason and if he mostly drinks hot drinks, why not
?