DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/593909-painting-concrete-floor-thats-been-power-floated-etching.html)

[email protected] July 24th 17 03:17 PM

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)

My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch
the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it, brushing
on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after about 20 minutes?
How can I estimate the amount of acid for 30 m2 floor area?
How do I know when it's sufficiently etched?

newshound July 26th 17 06:24 PM

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)

On 7/26/2017 6:20 PM, wrote:
On 24/07/2017 15:17,
wrote:
My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch
the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it,
brushing on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after about
20 minutes?
How can I estimate the amount of acid for 30 m2 floor area?
How do I know when it's sufficiently etched?

No takers?

Who made the suggestion about etching?

What sort of paint?

Have you tried contacting the paint suppliers?

Thomas Prufer July 27th 17 07:30 AM

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:50:12 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just be careful when you're using it. It's quite strong acid. Read all
the precautions for the Promain acid, and follow them. Wear rubber
boots, rubber gloves (Marigolds?) and goggles or better, a full face
visor. If you get any on your skin, rinse it off immediately. Don't be
cavalier with it. Keep the kids/pets indoors.

Keep it far away from zinc, steel, iron, tools, ...

The hydrochloric acid fumes will cause rust and corrosion, and will spread.

Thomas Prufer

harry July 27th 17 07:54 AM

On Monday, 24 July 2017 15:17:34 UTC+1, wrote:
My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch
the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it, brushing
on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after about 20 minutes?
How can I estimate the amount of acid for 30 m2 floor area?
How do I know when it's sufficiently etched?

The main thing to be aware of is to be sure there is a damp proof membrane beneath the concrete.
If not,forget it, the paint will flake off due to trapped rising damp.

Martin Brown[_2_] July 27th 17 08:24 AM

On 26/07/2017 19:50, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just be careful when you're using it. It's quite strong acid. Read all
the precautions for the Promain acid, and follow them. Wear rubber
boots, rubber gloves (Marigolds?) and goggles or better, a full face
visor. If you get any on your skin, rinse it off immediately. Don't be
cavalier with it. Keep the kids/pets indoors.

Diluting it add the acid to bulk water not the other way round.
(it isn't much of an issue with HCl but is lethal with H2SO4)

Also I'd wear good strength neoprene rubber gloves - Marigolds are OK
for doing the washing up in a kitchen but they puncture far too easily.

Move anything metal out that might be affected by the fumes/mist that
will inevitably rise from the action of the acid. You probably want to
apply it and leave it to react rather than breathing an acidic mist.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Andrew[_22_] July 27th 17 05:09 PM

On 27/07/2017 07:54, harry wrote:
On Monday, 24 July 2017 15:17:34 UTC+1, wrote:
My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch
the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it, brushing
on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after about 20 minutes?
How can I estimate the amount of acid for 30 m2 floor area?
How do I know when it's sufficiently etched?

The main thing to be aware of is to be sure there is a damp proof membrane beneath the concrete.
If not,forget it, the paint will flake off due to trapped rising damp.

In which case you use a 2-part epoxy paint that is designed to act as
a DPM before applying a wooden floor.

[email protected] July 27th 17 09:00 PM

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 15:17:30 +0100, wrote:

My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch
the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it, brushing
on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after about 20 minutes?
How can I estimate the amount of acid for 30 m2 floor area?
How do I know when it's sufficiently etched?

Here's a sequence of URLs

https://www.promain.co.uk/blog/how-t...ncrete-floors/

This has a link:

https://www.promain.co.uk/flag-acid-...tion-8572.html

Click on the TECHNICAL tab, and you'll see the acid has a specific
gravity of 1.1

Click on the DATA SHEETS, and then on the Safety Data Sheet, or click
on this
https://www.promain.co.uk/amfilerati.../file_id/2495/

Scroll down to Section 3 Composition/Information on Ingredients,
where it tells you it's hydrochloric acid.

The sum of all that is the etching solution is hydrochloric acid, aka
Brick Acid, of specific gravity 1.1

A hydrochloric acid solution with a specific gravity of 1.1 is about a
20% solution by weight.
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/hcl...i?submit=Entry

This particular Brick acid on ebay has a strength of 18%.
http://tinyurl.com/y87ef2e3 Note that other strengths are available on
ebay, some stronger, some weaker. This one is close enough not to
matter.

The instructions for the Promain acid say

"When applying Acid Etch to a floor you will notice the solution will
fizz this is the acid reacting with the concrete, the Acid Etch needs
to be applied until this fizzing stops. After application of Acid Etch
to a floor the floor will need to be rinsed with clean water to wash
the acid etch away and allowed to completely dry before the floor
paint is applied. This is especially essential when applying solvent
based floor paints or line marking but when applying water based floor
paint it is not as critical. When calculating the amount of product
required we would suggest you base your calculations on approximately
20m2 per litre".

The 5l container of acid on ebay will treat 100 sq.m.

Just be careful when you're using it. It's quite strong acid. Read all
the precautions for the Promain acid, and follow them. Wear rubber
boots, rubber gloves (Marigolds?) and goggles or better, a full face
visor. If you get any on your skin, rinse it off immediately. Don't be
cavalier with it. Keep the kids/pets indoors.

Thanks! That's all extremely useful - A-level chemistry was a long time ago.

[email protected] July 27th 17 09:02 PM

On 27/07/2017 07:30, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 19:50:12 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just be careful when you're using it. It's quite strong acid. Read all
the precautions for the Promain acid, and follow them. Wear rubber
boots, rubber gloves (Marigolds?) and goggles or better, a full face
visor. If you get any on your skin, rinse it off immediately. Don't be
cavalier with it. Keep the kids/pets indoors.

Keep it far away from zinc, steel, iron, tools, ...

The hydrochloric acid fumes will cause rust and corrosion, and will spread.

Thomas Prufer

Fortunately the only metal is an oil pipe and roller doors, and
ventilation is fairly easy.

[email protected] July 27th 17 09:06 PM

On 27/07/2017 08:24, Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/07/2017 19:50, Chris Hogg wrote:

Just be careful when you're using it. It's quite strong acid. Read all
the precautions for the Promain acid, and follow them. Wear rubber
boots, rubber gloves (Marigolds?) and goggles or better, a full face
visor. If you get any on your skin, rinse it off immediately. Don't be
cavalier with it. Keep the kids/pets indoors.

Diluting it add the acid to bulk water not the other way round.
(it isn't much of an issue with HCl but is lethal with H2SO4)

A-level chemistry was 45 years ago but the one relevant thing I can
remember is AAA (Always Add Acid)

Also I'd wear good strength neoprene rubber gloves - Marigolds are OK
for doing the washing up in a kitchen but they puncture far too easily.

Move anything metal out that might be affected by the fumes/mist that
will inevitably rise from the action of the acid. You probably want to
apply it and leave it to react rather than breathing an acidic mist.

It's an empty room and ventilation will be good

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 28th 17 07:35 AM

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)

Are you sure you have concrete, that might need etching, or a screed,
which doesn't?

its shoes.

[email protected] July 28th 17 12:37 PM

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)

Are you sure you have concrete, that might need etching, or a screed,
which doesn't?

Yes, I spec'd it.