Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internet car sales

I may be being paranoid, but............

In looking to find an affordable auto 4x4 that will tow 3.5 tons and has
low range with no difflock, I seem to keep coming across suspicious
adverts (ebay, gumtree, etc.) often for Range Rover Sports that invite
questions to an email address at tbtmail.uk or bmbmail.uk. Prices are
always suspiciously low and usually there is no feedback history. The
cars seem to be listed for a long period, so maybe never actually sell.

I just ignore them usually, but today I was intrigued and tried to find
something about tbtmail.uk or bmbmail, but there seems no information
anywhere.

Today's flurry of adverts seem to be "from" "garrythegrout" of
Bromsgrove, who has 4 low-priced Land Rover products for sale in
Liverpool. It looks as though this may be a stolen identity.

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think what
the aim is.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2017 12:20, Bill wrote:
I may be being paranoid, but............

In looking to find an affordable auto 4x4 that will tow 3.5 tons and has
low range with no difflock, I seem to keep coming across suspicious
adverts (ebay, gumtree, etc.) often for Range Rover Sports that invite
questions to an email address at tbtmail.uk or bmbmail.uk. Prices are
always suspiciously low and usually there is no feedback history. The
cars seem to be listed for a long period, so maybe never actually sell.

I just ignore them usually, but today I was intrigued and tried to find
something about tbtmail.uk or bmbmail, but there seems no information
anywhere.

Ask the registrant?

http://wa-com.com/tbtmail.com

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/17 12:20, Bill wrote:
I may be being paranoid, but............

In looking to find an affordable auto 4x4 that will tow 3.5 tons and has
low range with no difflock, I seem to keep coming across suspicious
adverts (ebay, gumtree, etc.) often for Range Rover Sports that invite
questions to an email address at tbtmail.uk or bmbmail.uk. Prices are
always suspiciously low and usually there is no feedback history. The
cars seem to be listed for a long period, so maybe never actually sell.

You are right to be suspicious.

$whois bmbmail.uk

Domain name:
bmbmail.uk

Registrant:
Peter Clarke

Registrant type:
Unknown

Registrant's address:
Petsan Barn Lane
Burry St Edmonds
suffolk
IP33 1YH
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Nominet was able to match the registrant's name and address
against a 3rd party data source on 16-Jul-2017

Registrar:
Crazy Domains FZ-LLC [Tag = CRAZYDOMAINS-AE]

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 13-Jun-2017
Expiry date: 13-Jun-2018
Last updated: 16-Jul-2017

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Name servers:
ns1.crazydomains.com
ns2.crazydomains.com

WHOIS lookup made at 12:55:34 21-Jul-2017

Can't even spell Bury St Edmunds
The same guy is behind tbtmail.uk

Mail records point to google gmail, so its an individual in all
likelihood posing as summat else.

Here is his house

I just ignore them usually, but today I was intrigued and tried to find
something about tbtmail.uk or bmbmail, but there seems no information
anywhere.

Rubbish

Today's flurry of adverts seem to be "from" "garrythegrout" of
Bromsgrove, who has 4 low-priced Land Rover products for sale in
Liverpool. It looks as though this may be a stolen identity.

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think what
the aim is.

Probably just to get your email address, or perhaps a 'deposit'

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message

damn, I thought you were starting a thread on internet sales of new cars

Cos I don't understand that trend

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay FULL
price, just to avoid a trip to the dealer for a discount?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-07-21, Bill wrote:

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

more fool the people who buy cars without seeing them

even if we ignore the risk of being scammed, why do people do this anyway?

(same goes for flat/room rental)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/17 13:14, tim... wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

damn, I thought you were starting a thread on internet sales of new cars

Cos I don't understand that trend

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay
FULL price, just to avoid a trip to the dealer for a discount?

tim

Because they are as dim as you?

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 21/07/17 13:14, tim... wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

damn, I thought you were starting a thread on internet sales of new cars

Cos I don't understand that trend

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay
FULL price, just to avoid a trip to the dealer for a discount?

Because they are as dim as you?

Our Citroen C4, now replaced, came from buyacar.co.uk in 2008, and we
got a decent discount.

that's different.

that one of those brokers who finds you the dealer offering the best
discount fo the car you are after.

I am referring to buying direct from the manufacturer's website i.e
toyota.com, at which I believe, it's full price or no car

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

tim... wrote:

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay
FULL price

Our Citroen C4, now replaced, came from buyacar.co.uk in 2008, and we
got a decent discount.

Likewise I bought my car from DriveTheDeal, you fully spec the car, they
find the dealer in the country who most wants the business, so you get a
decent discount and they get a kickback.

I was registered as second owner, with Buyacar as first owner,
again IIRC. They did keep the logbook for 6 months

None of that ********, I am the first owner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 21/07/17 13:14, tim... wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

damn, I thought you were starting a thread on internet sales of new
cars

Cos I don't understand that trend

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily
pay FULL price, just to avoid a trip to the dealer for a discount?

Because they are as dim as you?

Our Citroen C4, now replaced, came from buyacar.co.uk in 2008, and we
got a decent discount.

that's different.

that one of those brokers who finds you the dealer offering the best
discount fo the car you are after.

I am referring to buying direct from the manufacturer's website i.e
toyota.com, at which I believe, it's full price or no car

tim

I bet you you get an email back inviting you to take a car with 300
miles on the clock at a special discount. Provided you dont tell te dealers.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

On 2017-07-21, Bill wrote:

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

more fool the people who buy cars without seeing them

even if we ignore the risk of being scammed, why do people do this
anyway?

(same goes for flat/room rental)

With classic cars for sale on Ebay, the favourite bit of fun, after the
pub, seems to be bidding to win with zero intention of buying.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

tim... wrote:

why would someone go on the web to choose their car and voluntarily pay
FULL price

Our Citroen C4, now replaced, came from buyacar.co.uk in 2008, and we
got a decent discount.

Likewise I bought my car from DriveTheDeal, you fully spec the car, they
find the dealer in the country who most wants the business, so you get a
decent discount and they get a kickback.

I was registered as second owner, with Buyacar as first owner,
again IIRC. They did keep the logbook for 6 months

None of that ********, I am the first owner.

Which makes a difference when selling. A one owner car is always favourite.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:50:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

I was registered as second owner, with Buyacar as first owner,
again IIRC. They did keep the logbook for 6 months

None of that ********, I am the first owner.

Which makes a difference when selling. A one owner car is always
favourite.

Unless the first owner was A. Vis or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

I was registered as second owner, with Buyacar as first owner,
again IIRC. They did keep the logbook for 6 months

None of that ********, I am the first owner.

Which makes a difference when selling. A one owner car is always
favourite.

Unless the first owner was A. Vis or similar.

I've bought a couple of cars at auction direct from a lease company. Not
quite the same as car rental. But some might assume a company car to be
treated worse than a private one. Both were very good value. And at least
you can be sure what you're getting.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think what
the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get tricked
into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back pocket in
cash. They then get mugged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I've bought a couple of cars at auction direct from a lease company. Not
quite the same as car rental. But some might assume a company car to be
treated worse than a private one. Both were very good value. And at least
you can be sure what you're getting.

I bought my present car at auction after it came off lease to the
producer of the latest St Trinians films. I checked the boot, but no
nubile girls, or even hockey sticks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 21/07/17 12:20, Bill wrote:
[...]

/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smU-7gjdXFWKCokbGbMeLCg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

I just ignore them usually, but today I was intrigued and tried to
find something about tbtmail.uk or bmbmail, but there seems no
information anywhere.

Rubbish

Today's flurry of adverts seem to be "from" "garrythegrout" of
Bromsgrove, who has 4 low-priced Land Rover products for sale in
Liverpool. It looks as though this may be a stolen identity.
This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think
what the aim is.

Probably just to get your email address, or perhaps a 'deposit'

That's odd. Whois didn't provide anything for tbtmail.uk when I tried
earlier, but it does now.
The adverts in the name of garrythegrout have all disappeared from ebay
as well.

There goes my chance of getting a 12k car for 4k. :-)

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bill
escribió:

That's odd. Whois didn't provide anything for tbtmail.uk when I tried
earlier, but it does now.

Could you have tried tbtmail.co.uk?
^^
Both domains registered recently - 13 June this year

Shady as ****.

The adverts in the name of garrythegrout have all disappeared from ebay
as well

The current nom de plume appears to be "clint.viola"

"please contact the owner ) only by email!"

There goes my chance of getting a 12k car for 4k. :-)

"if it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is" is the advice
here

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 21/07/17 12:20, Bill wrote:
I may be being paranoid, but............

In looking to find an affordable auto 4x4 that will tow 3.5 tons and has
low range with no difflock, I seem to keep coming across suspicious
adverts (ebay, gumtree, etc.) often for Range Rover Sports that invite
questions to an email address at tbtmail.uk or bmbmail.uk. Prices are
always suspiciously low and usually there is no feedback history. The
cars seem to be listed for a long period, so maybe never actually sell.

Domain name:
tbtmail.uk
[...]

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 5:37:09 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't think what
the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get tricked
into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back pocket in
cash. They then get mugged.

Yes. Iv'e heard of someone buying a car online and beinga asked to meet the seller in a Hotel carpark to view the car and with cash in hand. He was assaulted and the cash stolen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't
think what the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get
tricked into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back
pocket in cash. They then get mugged.

Yes. Iv'e heard of someone buying a car online and beinga asked to
meet the seller in a Hotel carpark to view the car and with cash in
hand. He was assaulted and the cash stolen.

Not watched enough films featuring drug deals had he?

Don't take the cash.

Have it round the corner in a mate's pocket.

Once its clear the car exists, and there are no toughs hanging round,
call him.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't
think what the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get
tricked into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back
pocket in cash. They then get mugged.

Yes. Iv'e heard of someone buying a car online and beinga asked to
meet the seller in a Hotel carpark to view the car and with cash in
hand. He was assaulted and the cash stolen.

Not watched enough films featuring drug deals had he?

Don't take the cash.

Have it round the corner in a mate's pocket.

Once its clear the car exists, and there are no toughs hanging round, call
him.

wont stop you getting beaten up

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/07/17 10:58, tim... wrote:

news
On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't
think what the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get
tricked into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back
pocket in cash. They then get mugged.

Yes. Iv'e heard of someone buying a car online and beinga asked to
meet the seller in a Hotel carpark to view the car and with cash in
hand. He was assaulted and the cash stolen.

Not watched enough films featuring drug deals had he?

Don't take the cash.

Have it round the corner in a mate's pocket.

Once its clear the car exists, and there are no toughs hanging round,
call him.

wont stop you getting beaten up

may if yuu say 'cash is with a mate, and he is calling the police as we
speak, because I didn't give him te thumbs up sign'.

tim

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 24/07/17 10:58, tim... wrote:

news
On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

[...]

Depends on whether they believe you and can see any mate calling the cops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/07/17 10:58, tim... wrote:
news
On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

[...]

Well, today there are 36 new adverts for Land Rovers, Audis etc., all in
Birkenhead, all with a similar format, all using what may be one
"borrowed" identity.

I would have thought by now if the aim was a mugging, someone would have
called the cops.

Perhaps it's just a bored teenager playing?
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bill
escribió:

Well, today there are 36 new adverts for Land Rovers, Audis etc., all in
Birkenhead

you can be bloody sure if they do exist and are actually in Birkenhead,
they won't be legit!

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Bill
escribió:

Well, today there are 36 new adverts for Land Rovers, Audis etc., all in
Birkenhead

you can be bloody sure if they do exist and are actually in Birkenhead,
they won't be legit!

And the listings all disappeared by about 3pm. Funny, that.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2017 12:27, Huge wrote:

This has all the hallmarks of some sort of scam, but I can't
think what the aim is.

To get you to send money for a non-existent car.

I can just about cope with being scammed. But some people get
tricked into turning up at an address with a few thou in their back
pocket in cash. They then get mugged.

Yes. Iv'e heard of someone buying a car online and beinga asked to
meet the seller in a Hotel carpark to view the car and with cash in
hand. He was assaulted and the cash stolen.

Not watched enough films featuring drug deals had he?

Don't take the cash.

Have it round the corner in a mate's pocket.

Once its clear the car exists, and there are no toughs hanging round,
call him.

Provided you still have a phone. Better for the mate to have clear sight
from inside a locked car, with a phone and ready to lean on the horn.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/24/2017 4:03 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Bill
escribió:

Well, today there are 36 new adverts for Land Rovers, Audis etc., all in
Birkenhead

you can be bloody sure if they do exist and are actually in Birkenhead,
they won't be legit!

I believe my old friends in the Office of Nuclear Regulation in Bootle
now have a secure car park. At one time they used to have to regularly
collect their cars from around the local young offenders centre, where
they were left after being borrowed by visitors.