Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default No chance of a brain for Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 15:05:36 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the two sick idiots' sick idiotic DRIVEL

....and nothing's left, again! LOL

--
More details from Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) sociopathic
"life":
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "% Chance of rain"

On Friday, 4 August 2017 15:05:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:31:24 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

If a forecaster uses probabilities, he's guessing.

That's what forcasting is just working out probabilities of what is most likely to happen.

And until that probability is near 0% and 100%, there's no point.

Yes there is just like betting.
If there was a 50% chance of you winning the lottery by placing a £1 bet then would you place the bet ?
But remmeber yuor stats dum**** it's 50% isn't it.
You either win or you don't just two outcomes.

The famous storm of 1987 in the UK had a probability of 20% that hurricane force winds would hit the south coast.

So they were **** at predicting it.

No there was a 20% chance of it happening that is 1 in 5
\plenty of peole place bets on horses with far less likely to win but they still do it.
There's the national lottery something like 14 million to 1 on winning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Aug 2017 19:53:42 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the two idiots' endless drivel

--
Rejected Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) on what he'd have done
if he had been drafted:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 August 2017 19:53:47 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 16:58:59 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 4 August 2017 15:05:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:31:24 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

If a forecaster uses probabilities, he's guessing.

That's what forcasting is just working out probabilities of what is most likely to happen.

And until that probability is near 0% and 100%, there's no point.

Yes there is just like betting.
If there was a 50% chance of you winning the lottery by placing a £1 bet then would you place the bet ?
But remmeber yuor stats dum**** it's 50% isn't it.
You either win or you don't just two outcomes.

No point in betting on something if there's a 50% chance of winning £1 and a 50% chance of losing £1. Which is what you get with weather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 22:07:31 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH all the incredibly idiotic blather

--
Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) about his trolling:
"I just wrote this line to waste my time and yours."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 12 August 2017 22:07:34 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 08 Aug 2017 10:46:31 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 7 August 2017 19:53:47 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 16:58:59 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 4 August 2017 15:05:41 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 11:31:24 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

If a forecaster uses probabilities, he's guessing.

That's what forcasting is just working out probabilities of what is most likely to happen.

And until that probability is near 0% and 100%, there's no point.

Yes there is just like betting.
If there was a 50% chance of you winning the lottery by placing a £1 bet then would you place the bet ?
But remmeber yuor stats dum**** it's 50% isn't it.
You either win or you don't just two outcomes.

No point in betting on something if there's a 50% chance of winning £1 and a 50% chance of losing £1. Which is what you get with weather.

Thats why just a % figure is pretty useless on it's own.

Tell that to the ****ty weather websites.
https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/to...p=c&par=google
"Min 8C, 10% chance of rain, partly cloudy, wind 10-15km/h."

Having problmes understanding it are you.

Today it says there;s a 30% chance of a few showers, that;s not the same as 30% change of a tornado. Humidity 81% does that mean thre;sa a 81% chance of humidity ?
So there's 19% chance of no humitidy is that it ?

The famous storm of 1987 in the UK had a probability of 20% that hurricane force winds would hit the south coast.

So they were **** at predicting it.

No there was a 20% chance of it happening that is 1 in 5
\plenty of peole place bets on horses with far less likely to win but they still do it.
There's the national lottery something like 14 million to 1 on winning.

If someone tells you there's a 20% chance of something happening, you will assume it probably won't happen. Yet it did.

I wouldn't assume that with a 20% chance. Only someone that didn't understand what they were reading might do though.

If I said there was a 20% chance of you winning the lottery, would you go out and celebrate?

No but I'd go out and buy a ticket and would thibnk it is more likely that;s I'd win than having the standard chance of 1 in 14 million or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Percentage of what? I would imagine that 20% of viewers would get rain and
80% wouldn't.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Where percentage is a probability.
It's NOT 20% of viewers. It's a 1 in 5 chance that it will rain. In the website above it said showers so a 20% chance of showers.
I do realise that for the dumb it;s really difficult those accessing the page fropm pluto and will see the 20% chance and ask if teh rain will be water or methane or nitrogen, ut thatf is theiur problem they will never understand the weather on earth either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

In the case of showers I think it is more like a 100% chance of showers
occurring in the broad geographical area under consideration, with a 20%
chance of any given location being affected by them. With weather
fronts I suspect if it is a different type of calculation, relating to
their probable speed, direction and wetness.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 August 2017 18:55:25 UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:

In the case of showers I think it is more like a 100% chance of showers
occurring in the broad geographical area under consideration, with a 20%
chance of any given location being affected by them.

No, it was all explained a few months ago in a documantray on weather.

With weather
fronts I suspect if it is a different type of calculation, relating to
their probable speed, direction and wetness.

all boiled down to a percentage by some forcasters and sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:21:00 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

This is the problem, it can be interpreted in so many ways, at least:

1) A 20% chance that the area will have rain.
2) 20% of the area will have rain.
3) The area will rain 20% of the time.

Oh, no! Yet more of Hucker's sociopathic "deep thinking"! LOL

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) hilarious
"mathematics":