DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing wood bath panel with acrylic or painting white? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/59113-replacing-wood-bath-panel-acrylic-painting-white.html)

Zipadee Doodar July 31st 04 10:42 PM

replacing wood bath panel with acrylic or painting white?

I have inherited a reasonably large corner bath which has a "mahogany"
panel. Mrs Doodar would like to replace it with a moulded acrylic job, but
local suppliers all say that it is impossible to obtain such a thing for a
bath several years old. (The radius varies from 54 inches at each edge to 60
inches in the middle.)

One supplier has suggested that these days, french polishers have
diversified into painting wooden bath sides with some sort of acryilic
paint, but my local guy just looked blankly at me. Does anyone have any
information, or suggestions as to how I can grant Mrs Doodar's desire for an
all white bathroom? ( I don't want to paint it myself, if i did it would
look carp. Or even crap.

TIA

Ian Stirling July 31st 04 11:19 PM

Zipadee Doodar wrote:
I have inherited a reasonably large corner bath which has a "mahogany"
panel. Mrs Doodar would like to replace it with a moulded acrylic job, but
local suppliers all say that it is impossible to obtain such a thing for a
bath several years old. (The radius varies from 54 inches at each edge to 60
inches in the middle.)

It's relatively easy to do.
Take the mahogany panel, drill some holes in it, place on vacuum table,
put an acrylic sheet heated to the right temperauture over it, supported
in a frame, and turn on vacuum table.
Wait a few minutes, remove acrylic panel, and you'r done.

Course, without the equipment it's a little tricky.

Could you modify it so that it has a constant radius?
A bit of acrylic sheet bent into a cylinder may work.

G&M July 31st 04 11:26 PM

replacing wood bath panel with acrylic or painting white?

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message
k...
I have inherited a reasonably large corner bath which has a "mahogany"
panel. Mrs Doodar would like to replace it with a moulded acrylic job, but
local suppliers all say that it is impossible to obtain such a thing for a
bath several years old. (The radius varies from 54 inches at each edge to

60
inches in the middle.)

You could build a structure of vertical wooded 'studs' under the bath and
bend damp plasterboard around them, then plaster and finish in a high gloss
white paint.

The Natural Philosopher August 1st 04 09:05 AM

Zipadee Doodar wrote:

I have inherited a reasonably large corner bath which has a "mahogany"
panel. Mrs Doodar would like to replace it with a moulded acrylic job, but
local suppliers all say that it is impossible to obtain such a thing for a
bath several years old. (The radius varies from 54 inches at each edge to 60
inches in the middle.)

One supplier has suggested that these days, french polishers have
diversified into painting wooden bath sides with some sort of acryilic
paint, but my local guy just looked blankly at me. Does anyone have any
information, or suggestions as to how I can grant Mrs Doodar's desire for an
all white bathroom? ( I don't want to paint it myself, if i did it would
look carp. Or even crap.

TIA

Remove the panel, get some cars spray cans and spary teh bugger.

Or take it to car body shop and get them to do it.