Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bendable corded curtain tracks

Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 01:13:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Last time I saw one of those it was 1950s or 60s metal track.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cord will want to to take the shortest path when pulled. Can you
consider those "pulling Rods" attached to the first runners?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.polesandblinds.com/swish...hand-bendable-
plastic-curtain-track-set-wall-or-ceiling-fix/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/17 09:17, DerbyBorn wrote:

The cord will want to to take the shortest path when pulled. Can you
consider those "pulling Rods" attached to the first runners?

Oh just put a bit of OO gauge track up there and a model train engine
and make a feature of the whole thing using the locomotive to draw the
curtains

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:18:34 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

https://www.polesandblinds.com/swish...hand-bendable-
plastic-curtain-track-set-wall-or-ceiling-fix/

+1 we've used swish in our places and they are reliable IME.

Other places will probably also stock them if you wanted to run a price
comparison.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do these curtains need motor control or are they for the armstrong method?
If the former, then all are rubbish, get stuck break teeth off their gears
etc.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay
window...

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:29:23 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Do these curtains need motor control or are they for the armstrong method?
If the former, then all are rubbish, get stuck break teeth off their gears
etc.

I am sure there are good and bad automatic curtain system and ours has
been running pretty reliably (twice daily) for over 30 years now. [1]
That said the track is straight and the curtains are only down to the
windowsill, rather that the floor (although they are lined and
weighted).

You are right though in as much as they can sometimes get stuck and
that is generally down to humidity and dust in the track making the
sliders create more drag. Next day or later the same day and without
any other intervention, they work perfectly again.

Cheers, T i m

[1] I have had to replace the main unit reservoir capacitor because
the unit lost any real torque ... and the LCD display no longer works
(so we can't change the opening / closing time (not looked into that
yet as it's item 1,638 on my 'to do' list)). ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay
window...

John Lewis used to make them to order. They are mandrel bent, so not
really DIY. But dunno if they still do, since curtains are so out of
fashion these days.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Do these curtains need motor control or are they for the armstrong
method? If the former, then all are rubbish, get stuck break teeth off
their gears etc.

I've got motorised curtains in my bedroom. Just a straight track, though.

Installed it some 40 years ago and used at least twice a day. Only things
that have been replaced is the cord, one switch on the motor, and a couple
of drive rings.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 08:14, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2017 17:31:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 01:13:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Last time I saw one of those it was 1950s or 60s metal track.

NT

Any use, John?
https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/prod...ain-track-sil/

Don't think that is corded is it?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 09:28, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:18:34 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

https://www.polesandblinds.com/swish...hand-bendable-
plastic-curtain-track-set-wall-or-ceiling-fix/

+1 we've used swish in our places and they are reliable IME.

Other places will probably also stock them if you wanted to run a price
comparison.

Yup that looks plausible... thanks, I had missed those.

I found some ali "silent gliss" ones that had fully enclosed cording and
could be forward and reverse bent, but it seems you have to order those
bent to your spec.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 28/05/2017 09:28, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 08:18:34 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

https://www.polesandblinds.com/swish...hand-bendable-
plastic-curtain-track-set-wall-or-ceiling-fix/

+1 we've used swish in our places and they are reliable IME.

Other places will probably also stock them if you wanted to run a price
comparison.

Yup that looks plausible... thanks, I had missed those.

I found some ali "silent gliss" ones that had fully enclosed cording and
could be forward and reverse bent, but it seems you have to order those
bent to your spec.

Yes. There are tracks that can be bent by hand and corded - like the sort
used round hospital beds. But don't look very attractive, and usually need
a very gentle bend.

The purpose bent ones look very good - with the cords all concealed.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 12:53:37 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 28/05/2017 08:14, PeterC wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2017 17:31:42 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, 28 May 2017 01:13:11 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Last time I saw one of those it was 1950s or 60s metal track.

NT

Any use, John?
https://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/prod...ain-track-sil/

Don't think that is corded is it?

Oops - no, I missed the corded bit.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 01:13:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Hi John,

I still have a Harrison Drape rail doing excellent service bent around my double-bay
window. It's been up some 25 years so don't know if its still available. It's manually
operated by a cord each side, but motors were available.

Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2017 01:32, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 01:13:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Hi John,

I still have a Harrison Drape rail doing excellent service bent around my double-bay
window. It's been up some 25 years so don't know if its still available. It's manually
operated by a cord each side, but motors were available.

Thanks Phil.

I got a Swish superglide in the end and that does the job. It can only
bend into a corner, but that is not a limitation for my application. The
only annoying thing is the rather too short length of cord they fit thee
days. Sure it might make strangulation less common, but its a PITA if
you have 10' high ceilings!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 June 2017 02:49:05 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/06/2017 01:32, Phil Addison wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 01:13:12 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Anyone know of a good source?

I need one where I can take it round a corner on one side of a bay window...

Hi John,

I still have a Harrison Drape rail doing excellent service bent around my double-bay
window. It's been up some 25 years so don't know if its still available. It's manually
operated by a cord each side, but motors were available.

Thanks Phil.

I got a Swish superglide in the end and that does the job. It can only
bend into a corner, but that is not a limitation for my application. The
only annoying thing is the rather too short length of cord they fit thee
days. Sure it might make strangulation less common, but its a PITA if
you have 10' high ceilings!

easily replaced, I get mine from a haberdasher.

NT

Curtain tracks polygonum UK diy 19 May 26th 16 04:10 PM
Curtain rail - corded or not? robgraham UK diy 6 November 26th 13 04:27 AM
bendable wood mm47 Woodworking 11 May 27th 07 02:56 AM
Curtain tracks D.M. Procida UK diy 10 February 28th 06 10:43 AM
Chromium plated copper tube - bendable? Tony Bryer UK diy 7 May 9th 05 10:49 PM