Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos in yer water...

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Because the water pipe is made of "asbestos and cement". The asbestos
fibres are bonded inside the cement. Wall boards were also made that way.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

In all but the softest of water areas the inside of the pipes furs up
with a protective layer of limescale and rust fairly quickly. It is only
a problem then if it gets disturbed. I didn't think they were using it
for new builds today though it was very common in the past.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

They do damp down asbestos when they are removing it to avoid airborne
fibres escaping. It is asbestos cement anyway so most of the fibres are
trapped in a cement matrix unless you smash it up a la Malcolm McClaren.

It is less serious if it doesn't get deep into your lungs too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

It actually explains a lot. Perhaps it was lead lined too?

--
*You know you're a redneck if your home has wheels and your car doesn't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

To some extent that is the way to handle asbestos, keep it wet and the
harmful fibres don't get into the air where you can breathe them.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 12:20, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Because the water pipe is made of "asbestos and cement". The asbestos
fibres are bonded inside the cement. Wall boards were also made that way.

Indeed, and they are all subject to 'asbestos removal hazard' etc etc

Its not just fibres, its cment and fibres.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/a14.pdf

Equipment:

500- and 1000-gauge polythene sheeting and duct tape
Warning tape and notices
Bolt cutter
Webbing straps and rope
Garden-type sprayer containing wetting agent
Bucket of water and rags
Asbestos waste container, eg labelled polythene sack
Clear polythene sack
Lockable skip for larger quantities of waste
Asbestos warning stickers
Personal protective equipment (PPE) €“ see sheet em6

Provide:
- disposable overalls fitted with a hood;
- boots without laces (laced boots are hard to
decontaminate); and
- respiratory protective equipment.

Shows full respirators as mandatory for taking down e.g. an asbestos roof

I am not claiming water pipes are dangerous. I am pointing out the
absolute dual standards applied to asbestos.

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

what dual standards? It isn't fibrous asbestos as used to be used for
thermal insulation.

from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 14:23, charles wrote:
[...]

Can you actually READ?

The PDF I pointed to was about dismantling ROOVES and GUTTERS

"Removing asbestos cement (AC) sheets, gutters etc and
dismantling a small AC structure"

Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
their spears on the ground and talk of honor. Those who leap high the
battle dance and dream of glory €¦ The good of dead warriors, Mother, is
that they are dead.
Sheri S Tepper: The Awakeners.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of buildings?
And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the new
build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Anyone foolish enough to inhale the water deserves to get a lung condition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the new
build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

So is mine.

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

You dont drink asbestos.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings?

They do. We just had the remains of one house
one house away that got burnt out by a loony
removed and that is precisely what they did.

And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Much better to bury it with the other asbestos waste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

To some extent that is the way to handle asbestos, keep it wet and the
harmful fibres don't get into the air where you can breathe them.

Yes, but no one puts it in a pond to get rid of it.

Much more viable to just bury it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 18:16, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:38:34 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.

And where you kissed them http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859485
;-)

You may have access to that site, but no one else will..

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/26/2017 1:00 PM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:20:53 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Because the water pipe is made of "asbestos and cement". The asbestos
fibres are bonded inside the cement. Wall boards were also made that way.

Yebbut over time, probably a good many decades, and with many millions
of gallons of water passing through the pipe in that time, the cement
component will slowly erode or dissolve, probably both, and the
asbestos particles will gradually be released. Not in high
concentration, or all at once, but they'll be there, nevertheless.

Well having recently seen the thickness of limescale in a land-drain
taking away spring water (about a centimetre in 4 years) I rather
suspect that asbestos water mains will be OK.

In any case, the problem is inhaling airborn fibres, which end up
forever in the alveoli. I suspect that drinking them is much less harmful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 20:28, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:17:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 26/05/17 18:16, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:38:34 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.

And where you kissed them http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859485
;-)

You may have access to that site, but no one else will..

Did you try it? It didn't ask me to log in.

Well it did me

If no one else can see it,
try this "Researchers studied more than 2,000 women with ovarian
cancer and a similar-sized control group who were free of disease.
Overall, they found a 33% increase in the risk of ovarian cancer with
genital talc use" from here http://tinyurl.com/j67xxdx

Ah yes. shave your pussy and talc it instead of washing it every time
you pee.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

I get the pleasure of attending an asbestos awareness course every year.

The simple answer is because you drink water and do not breath it in.

The last guy that did the last course asked everyone "Why do goldfish
and budgies never get asbestosis?" Well the goldfish answer was because
it does not breath air and the second answer was because budgies do not
have a long enough lifespan to develop it.

That's when the apprentice stuck his arm up in the air and asked "Does
anyone ever test goldfish and budgies for asbestosis when they die?"

The guy doing the course answered "no" and the apprentice then asked "so
how do you know how they died?".

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:38:34 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.

And where you kissed them http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859485
;-)

Which points out, inter alia, that talc and asbestos are not similar,
but the latter used (up to 1970s) to contaminate the former because
they are found in the same places.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

Their fannies don't smell of stale gorilla fart either

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 12:15:21 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

It is asbestos cement and painted with bitumen.
Asbestos cement becomes dangerous due to weathering effects when the fibres are released
Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled, you can eat as much as you like.

It has to be disposed of somewhere where it the fibres aren't likely to get into the general environment.

Even somebody as thick as you should understand such simple stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 17:43:55 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.
--

They ARE identical chemically and often come from the same place.
They have different crystalline structures.

And asbestos contamination of talc has been a problem in the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc#Asbestos_link
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with asbestos is that its a mineral that does not degrade over
time and is most dangerous if it gets into the lungs. You can eat it and it
will get passed through your digestive tract unchanged.
The asbestos cement is less dangerous as its not in fibre form. Its ground
down into very tiny pieces.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 May 2017 21:35:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

That's when the apprentice stuck his arm up in the air and asked "Does
anyone ever test goldfish and budgies for asbestosis when they die?"

The guy doing the course answered "no" and the apprentice then asked "so
how do you know how they died?".

That is either the dumbest or the smartest question I've heard - but I
like it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2017 17:38:34 +0100, Bill wrote:

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
The Natural Philosopher laid this down on his screen :
So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

Where is the money to be made and white suits to be worn in doing that?

I was always taught that white asbestos and talc were similar
chemically.

So I have always been very careful who I kissed.

And where you kissed them http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859485
;-)

Which points out, inter alia, that talc and asbestos are not similar,
but the latter used (up to 1970s) to contaminate the former because
they are found in the same places.

Chemical formula wise they are *very* similar indeed the difference is
in the exact crystalline form being blocky/amporphous or needle like.

And it still does if you look carefully enough at least for the
non-cosmetic grades of industrial talc. H&S are now requiring dust masks
for workers handling industrial grade talc which invariably does contain
traces of asbestos. I suspect it is present in cosmetic grade too since
you can only look so deep with a light microscope.

http://www.microlabgallery.com/gallery/Tremolite.aspx

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 26/05/17 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

You know this, how?

Their fannies don't smell of stale gorilla fart either

There's an achievement to be proud of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg posted
It could be dumped at sea, I suppose, that's a big enough pond, but FOE
would be up in arms, claiming it was killing the fish.

This certainly used to be done until the 1970s at least. One of my worst
ever jobs then was to carry asbestos lagging removed from old ships'
boilers and pipework, and tip it into the holds of other ships, which
then took it out into mid-Atlantic and dumped it.

--
Jack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/17 08:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
The problem with asbestos is that its a mineral that does not degrade over
time and is most dangerous if it gets into the lungs. You can eat it and it
will get passed through your digestive tract unchanged.
The asbestos cement is less dangerous as its not in fibre form. Its ground
down into very tiny pieces.

No, Brain, it isn';t.

Its used to reinforce cement to give it tensile strength like glass
FIBRES are used in fibreglass.

Because its is fibres, its lends strength. Being ground up, it wouldn't
add anything except bulk and sand is is just as good for bulk.

Brian

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/17 09:21, Richard wrote:
news

On 26/05/17 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

You know this, how?

How do you think?

Their fannies don't smell of stale gorilla fart either

There's an achievement to be proud of.

To them it is normal.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

On 27/05/17 09:21, Richard wrote:
news

On 26/05/17 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

You know this, how?

How do you think?

With my brain. YMMV, of course.
Again, how do you know "its what every bird in the middle east does."?

Their fannies don't smell of stale gorilla fart either

There's an achievement to be proud of.

To them it is normal.

Sniffing gorilla farts is normal? Whatever floats yer boat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 May 2017 12:15:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

Pretty old report if you look at the date. I wonder if regulations
have changed since then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2017 09:13, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 21:35:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

That's when the apprentice stuck his arm up in the air and asked "Does
anyone ever test goldfish and budgies for asbestosis when they die?"

The guy doing the course answered "no" and the apprentice then asked "so
how do you know how they died?".

That is either the dumbest or the smartest question I've heard - but I
like it!

Take your pick.

That question was from the same apprentice that I drove from Doncaster
to Ferrybridge power station to do a job.

When we got there he asked me "Are we in S****horpe?

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Apprentice "The last time I went on a motorway I went to S****horpe"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 May 2017 14:42:03 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 27/05/2017 09:13, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 21:35:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

That's when the apprentice stuck his arm up in the air and asked "Does
anyone ever test goldfish and budgies for asbestosis when they die?"

The guy doing the course answered "no" and the apprentice then asked
"so how do you know how they died?".

That is either the dumbest or the smartest question I've heard - but I
like it!

Take your pick.

That question was from the same apprentice that I drove from Doncaster
to Ferrybridge power station to do a job.

When we got there he asked me "Are we in S****horpe?

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Apprentice "The last time I went on a motorway I went to S****horpe"

Hmm - I'll go for dumbest then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/05/2017 17:00, Mark Allread wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2017 14:42:03 +0100, ARW wrote:

On 27/05/2017 09:13, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 21:35:27 +0100, ARW wrote:

That's when the apprentice stuck his arm up in the air and asked "Does
anyone ever test goldfish and budgies for asbestosis when they die?"

The guy doing the course answered "no" and the apprentice then asked
"so how do you know how they died?".

That is either the dumbest or the smartest question I've heard - but I
like it!

Take your pick.

That question was from the same apprentice that I drove from Doncaster
to Ferrybridge power station to do a job.

When we got there he asked me "Are we in S****horpe?

Me "No, why do you ask?"

Apprentice "The last time I went on a motorway I went to S****horpe"

Hmm - I'll go for dumbest then.

The same apprentice also asked when we arrived at the old Didcot power
station "Are we in London?"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 May 2017 00:24:10 +0100, ARW wrote:

[...]

Well Didcot is 'darn sarf' so I can understand his confusion. Its not
quite as big and smelly as London though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 21:35:27 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
[...]

Is this the first evidence of an apprentice with a functioning brain ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 05:41:58 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 26/05/17 23:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

washing it every time
you pee.

That's OCD!

No. its what every bird in the middle east does.

What's Stratford got to do with it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, that other one who showed up in here in person obviously has one.

Same with that other more recent one that was away
on an excursion or something when he got the job.