Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brain cells needed - 1955 test

found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"misterroy" wrote in message
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

I like that...bit like O level Physics .....or applied mechanics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 May 2017 11:16:16 -0700 (PDT), misterroy
wrote:

found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Would I be disqualified for putting a mark on the line provided,
rather than crossing out the letter corresponding to the correct
answer as instructed?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
misterroy writes
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Ha,ha!

I went for an interview for an apprenticeship at George Kent, Luton
(water meters etc. long gone now). The supervisor held up a series of
mechanisms similar to some of your drawings but hidden behind a sheet of
ply such that only some of the moving parts could be seen.

We were invited to sketch what we thought was happening behind the
screen.

After the test and during the interview, they asked if I had considered
electrical engineering as a career:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bill Wright
writes
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions

might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Bill

Many questions are ambiguous and, in my opinion, badly framed. The
author also uses the term 'strain' where the correct term should be
'stress'.
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

Nope. A piece of wood like that will work in tension or
compression. If you were to use a diagonal wire it would only
work one way.

I agree with that but any gates i've built always use the diagonal in
compression.
For one thing the weight of the gate tends to tighten the diagonal against
its fixing points not loosen them and thereby dropping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 May 2017 23:41:06 UTC+1, bm wrote:
"Tim+" wrote in message
news
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

Nope. A piece of wood like that will work in tension or
compression. If you were to use a diagonal wire it would only
work one way.

I agree with that but any gates i've built always use the diagonal in
compression.
For one thing the weight of the gate tends to tighten the diagonal against
its fixing points not loosen them and thereby dropping.

Whether the brace is the best way or not it's more resistant to wilt than the others, so it's the answer.

A lot of simple questions really, though a few seemingly ambiguous ones that require an extra moment of thought.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

The butchers hook one as well... depending what you want to achieve -
least load on the supports, then in the middle. Least bending of the
rail, then right at the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message ,
misterroy writes
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Ha,ha!

I went for an interview for an apprenticeship at George Kent, Luton (water
meters etc. long gone now). The supervisor held up a series of mechanisms
similar to some of your drawings but hidden behind a sheet of ply such
that only some of the moving parts could be seen.

We were invited to sketch what we thought was happening behind the screen.

After the test and during the interview, they asked if I had considered
electrical engineering as a career:-(

LOL, reminds me of an interview I attended at NCR (National Cash Registers)
~1966.
They advertised an electronics job. I was presented with paper containing
100 mechanical drawings/questions/cogs etc.
One was a stinker and I went with my ~10'th answer. Got'em all correct and
was asked when I wanted to start.
I reminded them that they advertised an electronics job and told'em where to
stick it
Happy days.
Obviously, Dave could have answered blindfolded but hey, we're not all sound
engineers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

I quite liked that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

No the force has to be compression on the brace.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 22:08, Tim+ wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

Nope. A piece of wood like that will work in tension or
compression. If you were to use a diagonal wire it would only
work one way.

Tim

It isn't the wood, it's the joints. The brace is effectively wedged
between the rails. If it's the wrong way round the joints will pull out.
This is utterly basic.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately this seems to be a picture pdf, ie it contains no text
whatsoever, so I need retina cells to read it, or some kind of ocred
version. As this option is not available one has to assume the text in the
picture pdf is so bad that one could not read it by computer recognition.
I guess its a very old bit of paper or some such. These pdfs cause blind
people no end of aggro as even manufacturers of equipment tend to supply
their manuals this way, making them totally impossible to use.
Ho hum.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"misterroy" wrote in message
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in
news
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...1c0U/view?usp=
sharing

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Bill

To really judge someone you would need to hear their thought processes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 23:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

Also the capstan.

The butchers hook one as well... depending what you want to achieve -
least load on the supports, then in the middle. Least bending of the
rail, then right at the end.

Least distance to carry the bloody thing

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 05:40, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

No the force has to be compression on the brace.

It does not *have* to be. Granted that is the traditional way, but it
will also work in tension if its well fixed. What is required to prevent
racking of the gate is a triangulated cross member. Having it in
compression works well since it can be notched into the other timbers
and will hence work and stay put even without much in the way of
fixings. In tension it relies more heavily on the fixings, but will
still work.

As has been said though, in the context of the question, where all the
other alternatives simply had variations on right angle joints and no
brace, its the only clear correct answer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alas most of the document is a series of multiple choice questions based
entirely around a number of illustrations of various contrivances of
gears, levers, pulleys etc, and hence difficult to translate to words.
There are few words, and no calculations.

So for example the intro says:

"HOW TO DO THE TEST
This test is to see how well you understand mechanical ideas.
In each item of this test is a drawing and a question about it.
Underneath the question are five answers. Only one of these is the right
answer to the question. Your task is to find out which is the right
answer and to cross out the corresponding letter on the answer sheet.
For example in the first item below the second answer is right so the
letter B at the end of the line following this answer is crossed out.
Now do the other two items in the same way."

It then goes on to show some examples - the first are two meshed cogs on
shafts, with an indicated direction or rotation on the left one, and an
X on the other. The question is then "What will happend to the wheel X
when the driver turns as shown?"

On 26/05/2017 08:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

Unfortunately this seems to be a picture pdf, ie it contains no text
whatsoever, so I need retina cells to read it, or some kind of ocred
version. As this option is not available one has to assume the text in the
picture pdf is so bad that one could not read it by computer recognition.
I guess its a very old bit of paper or some such. These pdfs cause blind
people no end of aggro as even manufacturers of equipment tend to supply
their manuals this way, making them totally impossible to use.
Ho hum.
Brian

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

As others have said the test is poorly constructed. A few questions one
has to guess what is wanted.

However is is interesting as it is a very practical test of engineering
mechanics. Practical experience really helps.

When helping my son with mathematical mechanics problems I was surprised
how little practical experience/intuition he had. He had to learn
everything as theory, book learning. For today's computer generation of
children a little more practical teaching in school would be a good
thing but perhaps it is too expensive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2017 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

No it says "least likely" - the brace is merely under tension rather
than compression but it's still all triangular.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

On 25/05/2017 22:08, Tim+ wrote:
Bill Wright Wrote in message:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote: found this test lurking in the
filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more
context.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...0U/view?usp=sh
aring Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way
round.

Bill

Nope. A piece of wood like that will work in tension or
compression. If you were to use a diagonal wire it would only
work one way.

Tim

It isn't the wood, it's the joints. The brace is effectively wedged
between the rails. If it's the wrong way round the joints will pull out.
This is utterly basic.

Bill

Agreed, but until the joints do pull out it is going to do better than
the unbraced ones. They didn't ask if they were sensible designs!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Holford wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
writes
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions

might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...BuTFU2bnN1c0U/
view?usp=sharing

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Bill

Many questions are ambiguous and, in my opinion, badly framed. The
author also uses the term 'strain' where the correct term should be
'stress'.

From the diagram I think you can assume direct proportionality in this
case!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Unfortunately this seems to be a picture pdf, ie it contains no text
whatsoever, so I need retina cells to read it, or some kind of ocred
version. As this option is not available one has to assume the text in the
picture pdf is so bad that one could not read it by computer recognition.
I guess its a very old bit of paper or some such. These pdfs cause blind
people no end of aggro as even manufacturers of equipment tend to supply
their manuals this way, making them totally impossible to use.
Ho hum.
Brian

Your point is valid, and inablity to search text is a major nuisance
even if one can see the pdf. But in this case the text consists of
short, simple questions about hand-drawn sketches of
mechanisms, and the text would really not help at all.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Only for those who dont have a clue about the basics.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 10:34, Tim Streater wrote:

He ought to be getting that from his Physics classes - friction,
rolling balls down inclined planes, etc.

It was a while ago. I'll ask him but I suspect seeing an experiment
demonstrated once is the same as having personally tried it and got it
wrong many times. For instance the tent peg question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 11:29, Rod Speed wrote:

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Only for those who dont have a clue about the basics.

No. John Rumm is clearly right in his criticism of the Butcher's Hook.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick wrote
Rod Speed wrote

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Only for those who dont have a clue about the basics.

No.

Yep.

John Rumm is clearly right in his criticism of the Butcher's Hook.

Yes, but that isnt A LOT OF THEM, just one of them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Nick" wrote in message
news
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

As others have said the test is poorly constructed. A few questions one
has to guess what is wanted.

However is is interesting as it is a very practical test of engineering
mechanics. Practical experience really helps.

When helping my son with mathematical mechanics problems I was surprised
how little practical experience/intuition he had. He had to learn
everything as theory, book learning. For today's computer generation of
children a little more practical teaching in school would be a good thing
but perhaps it is too expensive

A bit of experience with Meccano would help a great deal, to understand the
importance of diagonal cross-bracing of a rectangular shape (eg the gate in
one of the questions) or to understand meshing of a train of gears. Sadly
modern children don't seem to "play" with Meccano any more. I use the word
"play" in its widest sense to mean build things and work out by trial and
error what is good and what is bad and how to improve what is bad.

The questions that I need to think about are the tension/compression forces
in various struts on lattice structures, and which will be largest/smallest.
I did a bit of mech eng on my elec eng course, but I don't know as much or
know the rigorous analysis techniques that a civil eng would know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Nick" wrote in message
news
On 26/05/2017 11:29, Rod Speed wrote:

A lot of them don't have one definite answer.

Only for those who dont have a clue about the basics.

No. John Rumm is clearly right in his criticism of the Butcher's Hook.

I think with the butcher's hook one I would look at the most likely failure
mode, which would be bending of the horizontal rail, for which the best
solution is the hook closest to the ceiling support. But I agree that the
question needs to be more specific about what failure you are trying to
avoid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 09:02, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

The joints were clearly pins able to take compression or tension as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 08:55, Robin wrote:
There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

Also the capstan.

The one with the weight hanging off rope at the top of the well? There's
enough information there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 12:17, NY wrote:

A bit of experience with Meccano would help a great deal, to understand
the importance of diagonal cross-bracing of a rectangular shape (eg the
gate in one of the questions) or to understand meshing of a train of
gears. Sadly modern children don't seem to "play" with Meccano any more.
I use the word "play" in its widest sense to mean build things and work
out by trial and error what is good and what is bad and how to improve
what is bad.

Lego Technic offers the same opportunity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 26/05/2017 08:55, Robin wrote:
There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

Also the capstan.

The one with the weight hanging off rope at the top of the well? There's
enough information there.

Here are my answers with reasoning:

1. C
2. G goes deepest into ground while being angled towards the pulling force
(at 45 degrees)
3. M area is s^2 rather than pi (s/2)^2 (where s is the length of the side
or diameter)
4. Q closest to the pivot: need greatest ratio of length of handle side to
length of twig side (lever - maginfication of force inversely proportional
to distance from pivot)
5. All equal (not entirely confident on this one)
6. A smallest radius
7. H cross-brace, even if it *is* in tension rather than compression!
8. O greatest number of pulleys
9. move to and fro
10. V if the objective is to prevent the hanging rail bending/breaking
11. B smallest surface area of liquid and smallest area of cup
12. F and G (H turns in opposite direction)
13. N at pivot, with greatest distance and therefore greatest turning moment
from children on either end)
14. Fall radius of "fall" side of rope is greater than radius of "rise" side
15. X 45 degrees
16. D longest length of strut from its pivot
17. H load is carried closest to the pivot/wheel, with longest distance from
load to handle
18. L narrowest arch relative to height
19. S goodness knows - hard to estimate how the curved line continues
20. V longest anchor line so greatest component of force sideways compared
with vertically
21. C if same amount of energy (mgh1-mgh2) = (mgh2-mgh3) is lost on each
bounce
22. J smallest surface area so smallest air resistance
23. N roughly in same direction as line through centres of white and black
balls
24. fall balls fly outwards, causing collar to rise and hence pointer to
fall - a governor
25. W guessing - not sure
26. rise and then fall: pipe that fills X is bigger than one that drains it
so inflow is greater than outflow
27. H furthest away from either end (eg F) where it will stop and reverse
28. O greatest turning moment furthest from pivot
29. R others will roll freely only until off-centre bar is at bottom and
will experience retarding force after that
30. W greatest mass concentrated furthest from centre
31. D because he's having to bank over furthest to compensate for (mv^2)/r
centripetal force
32. move in circle (both small cogs are same radius and will turn in same
direction, so no jam)
33. S closest to centre so he's exerting least turning moment to overcome
whatever the capstan is turning
34. X resultant force is midway between directions of pushing forces
35. smallest radius of curvature so greatest (mv^2)/r centripetal force
(assuming all cars doing same linear speed)
36. H
37. one ball hits the group of four so one ball leaves group (as for
Newton's Cradle)
38. all equal
39. opposite, unevenly (won't jam because ends of rod are 180 deg out of
phase so no vertical component to motion)

I'm open to argument/correction on some of them!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Would I be disqualified for putting a mark on the line provided,
rather than crossing out the letter corresponding to the correct
answer as instructed?

You do not need to you can see where the mark is rubbed out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 12:35, Clive George wrote:
On 26/05/2017 08:55, Robin wrote:
There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

Also the capstan.

The one with the weight hanging off rope at the top of the well? There's
enough information there.

I had in mind the nautical capstan with 4 men and "Which man would have
to work hardest to turn the capstan alone?" ISTM "hardest" is ambiguous
between (a) the force exerted (highest for shortest lever), (b) the
energy required per unit time (ditto if they walk at the same speed -
linear not angular - when walking alone), and (c) the energy required
per revolution (same for all).

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/17 23:52, John Rumm wrote:
On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

There were more than one question however where there seemed to be
insufficient information.

The car skid for example.

The butchers hook one as well... depending what you want to achieve -
least load on the supports, then in the middle. Least bending of the
rail, then right at the end.

yep. That was another one I noticed

Then there were the eccentric weights rolling down an inclined plane.
Well it depends HOW eccentric the weights were and how steep the plane was.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/17 05:40, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/17 21:27, Bill Wright wrote:
On 25/05/2017 19:16, misterroy wrote:
found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work, some of the
questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Is the gate question a trick? H has the brace the wrong way round.

Bill

tesnd to work either way.

No the force has to be compression on the brace.

Bill

No Bill, It does not