Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boring holes through joists

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I dont want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

--
Jón Fairbairn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2017 10:13, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I dont want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

I ain't a structural engineer but, in my experience, these rules are a
bit conservative, and deviating slightly from them is unlikely to bring
the house down. I would have thought that two (say) 25mm holes a
reasonable distance apart would be preferable to one 45mm hole.

I assume that you're using plastic pipes, 'cos feeding copper pipes
through holes in joists would be a bit of a challenge?!

Are you doing something which needs to be inspected by a BCO? If not,
and if the holes will be hidden by floorboards and ceilings, I wouldn't
worry too much.

Others may disagree!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2017 11:05, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

No, I would agree with that....

If near the ends of the joist, then notches are preferable to holes,
and nearer the mid span holes are preferable. If you have unused notches
when you are done, you can restore the strength with couple of glued up
folding wedges:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._notched_joist

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/05/2017 10:13, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes,

Do you need all the existing holes and notches, or could you strengthen
the joists by screwing some offcuts of timber across some of them?

Not that it's going to collapse, either way, but it might make it less
bouncy/noisy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 10:13:46 UTC+1, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I dont want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

2x7 is wild overkill for a landing, unless it's a vast landing area in a country house lined with marble. 3x3 was common. BR are massively OTT on joist sizes, and it has nothing to do with safety.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was just going to say, how do you know if a hole is bored or not, sorry
must be the way my brain works....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jon Fairbairn" wrote in message

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I don't want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

--
Jón Fairbairn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 13:18:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just going to say, how do you know if a hole is bored or not, sorry
must be the way my brain works....
Brian

When did it last do anything? Hence we know it must be bored.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 14:35:20 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/05/17 13:52, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 13:18:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just going to say, how do you know if a hole is bored or not, sorry
must be the way my brain works....

When did it last do anything? Hence we know it must be bored.

Rubbish. It all depends if its in a 'sleeper', or not...

Or whether it's been nogging. Beam me up scotty.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm writes:

[...]

Yes, indeed!

Are you doing something which needs to be inspected by a BCO? If not,
and if the holes will be hidden by floorboards and ceilings, I wouldn't
worry too much.

Others may disagree!

No, I would agree with that....

If near the ends of the joist, then notches are preferable
to holes, and nearer the mid span holes are preferable. If
you have unused notches when you are done, you can restore
the strength with couple of glued up folding wedges:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/..._notched_joist

Thanks to all for the help.
--
Jón Fairbairn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 15:27:28 UTC+1, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
John Rumm writes:

I assume that you're using plastic pipes, 'cos feeding copper pipes
through holes in joists would be a bit of a challenge?!

Yes, indeed!

just chop it into lots of pieces

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Jon Fairbairn Wrote in message:

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I don?t want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

Do they need to be 22mm?

That's a sh1tload of water... :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Well I think I recall writing an article on the Wannacry exploit last
week, maybe I'm infected?

Corse you are, and that’s why you smell so bad.

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 13:18:29 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was just going to say, how do you know if a hole is bored or not,
sorry
must be the way my brain works....
Brian

When did it last do anything? Hence we know it must be bored.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 May 2017 19:03:09 UTC+1, jim wrote:
Jon Fairbairn Wrote in message:

I want to run two pipes along under our landing floor (which
means going through all the joists).

Joists are 180×50mm Unfortunately there are
already notches and holes, with the result that the calculator
he

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ist-calculator

which mostly agrees with the wiki says there is only room for
one more hole. But it also says that the maximum hole size is
45mm, which means that I could put the two 22mm pipes through
one big hole. I don?t want to do that because one is hot and the
other cold. So my question is, can I put two 22mm+minimal
clearance holes say 66mm apart (3 diameters as per the wiki) and
still meet regulations?

Do they need to be 22mm?

That's a sh1tload of water... :-)

No, he uses oversize pipes for the fun of it.

boring through tile? Mike Home Repair 26 April 2nd 16 09:45 PM
Suitable boring bar for use in sideways hole in boring head? Louis Ohland Metalworking 7 November 13th 09 09:48 PM
Holes through floor joists for 10/2? Toller Home Repair 11 December 14th 06 02:56 AM
Boring Deep Holes Barry N. Turner Woodturning 11 July 19th 05 07:54 PM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM