Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Meters and supplier swap delays

OVO installed SM's for us last June. In Nov we changed suppliers to
First Utility. FU then said they could not enable the SM's to work with
them, but months later changed their minds and said they could use
them.

Gas SM then began working, but not the E SM. More enquiries to FU and
if I agreed they would send an engineer to swap the E SM for another. I
agreed and the engineer arrived last Tuesday. He said he would have to
swap both meters and the indoor display too. Both meters and display
were swapped out for _identical units_.

Gas SM then worked with display, but not the E SM. Engineer said it
might take 48 hours before it all worked.

E SM and there web site consumption still not working properly
yesterday, 6 days later, so I rang FU late afternoon - who said
engineer was wrong, it could take 28 days. Come around midnight, when
data is exchanged - the E SM suddenly began to work.

Coincidence - probably not, I had exactly the same delayed operation
when OVO originally installed them, until I rang OVO to complain they
were not working, then suddenly they began to work.

The _identical units_ suggests that the only difference between OVO
SM's and FU SM's is the firmware in the units.

So for less than 50% of the time, despite agreeing to have SM's fitted,
they have been none functioning as SM's. Come Nov when my contract with
FU ends and I will reassess suppliers, likely the SM fiasco will begin
again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Gas SM then began working, but not the E SM.

Which is odd, I assume your meters work similarly to mine, the gas one
being battery powered and sending its readings over low powered radio to
the electricity meter, which is mains powered and forwards electricity
and gas readings to the in-house display and for billing via a GSM network.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns has brought this to us :
Which is odd, I assume your meters work similarly to mine, the gas one being
battery powered and sending its readings over low powered radio to the
electricity meter, which is mains powered and forwards electricity and gas
readings to the in-house display and for billing via a GSM network.

Well, that was what I too thought, but maybe not.

The G SM reports through to the display every few minutes, the E SM
every few seconds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The G SM reports through to the display every few minutes, the E SM
every few seconds.

Same here gas every 30 minutes, presumably to conserve its battery, I
was told the gas only speaks via the elec to the IHD, but who knows?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not worry cos all first generation smart meters are going to need to be
replaced due to the insecure data exchange used in them allowing a nasty
country to turn off everyone's leccy.
This was on the news about a week ago. GCHQ found the hole some time ago
but nobody admitted it existed till quite recently. It seems that the new
system needs new hardware to work.
The replacement of 16 million meters is goind to cost an awful lot of money
and nobody seems to have decided who will pay for it.I bet I know who will
end up paying for the monumental cock up, us!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
I'd not worry cos all first generation smart meters are going to need to be
replaced due to the insecure data exchange used in them allowing a nasty
country to turn off everyone's leccy.
This was on the news about a week ago. GCHQ found the hole some time ago
but nobody admitted it existed till quite recently. It seems that the new
system needs new hardware to work.
The replacement of 16 million meters is goind to cost an awful lot of money
and nobody seems to have decided who will pay for it.I bet I know who will
end up paying for the monumental cock up, us!

There is no money to pay for replacing the existing (and still being
installed) SMETS1 meters, and the cost would completely wipe out the
supposed (but no longer believed) gains from smart meters. The
original intention had been to perform a firmware update, but the
security GCHQ insisted on adding to prevent hackers turning off your
supply cannot be added to smart meters currently being installed.

The advice is not to fit a smart meter now, because you may be stuck
with an insecure one which no one will pay to replace, and won't
automatically collect readings anymore if you change supplier.

Wait until SMETS2 meters are being fitted (probably in a year's time)
if you really want a smart meter for some reason.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

In other words, you are now discovering why the power companies wanted smart
meters installing everywhere. It's so that customers can't change suppliers
as easily like in the past by using switching sites and apps....well you can
swap suppliers, but you'll be given a six month runaround like this every
time you do

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2017 19:43, Phil L wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

It wouldn't be too bad if they were actually smart enough to operate
with any supplier and secure enough that some script kiddie with a
stolen bag of NSA tricks can't switch them all off at once.

I will resist having a "smart" meter installed until such time as they
are cryptographically secure. Mine is still of the prehistoric counter
rotating indicator dials on 10:1 gears type. There is little chance of
ever seeing a viable GSM phone signal where the meter is located.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
In other words, you are now discovering why the power companies wanted smart
meters installing everywhere. It's so that customers can't change suppliers
as easily like in the past by using switching sites and apps....well you can
swap suppliers, but you'll be given a six month runaround like this every
time you do

Actually, main reason power companies were interested was because
they can cut off the supply without visiting the premises and
trying to gain entry.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
In other words, you are now discovering why the power companies wanted smart
meters installing everywhere. It's so that customers can't change suppliers
as easily like in the past by using switching sites and apps....well you can
swap suppliers, but you'll be given a six month runaround like this every
time you do

Actually, main reason power companies were interested was because
they can cut off the supply without visiting the premises and
trying to gain entry.

More likely the fact that they no longer had to pay meter
readers, either directly or indirectly, to attempt to read every
single meter in the Country 4 times a year.

Long term Govt wise it also offers the possibility of energy
rationing - only so many Kw or BTU or whatever, per household
or per individual(per household) per day.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"Phil L" writes:
[...]

But that's hardly fair if you have electric heating.

When I has SR I used to use 18,000 units a year (and that was to keep the
house barely warm), now in a property without them 2,500. Where do you set
the limit that actually imposes some restriction on people who only use
electric for their lighting/entertainment equipment that doesn't make life
completely unbearable for people with electric heating?

It's all very well saying insulate better and change to gas, but not all
properties are suitable for that (the one in question wasn't)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" writes:
[...]

And what of those with electric showers; children who come home from
school with a filthy blazer that has to be washed, dried and ironed
ready for the next morning; that work from home and have PCs/servers
running; no longer work, so at home all day; have an electric car to
charge; use electric oven and hob - the list is endless.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 26 May 2017 18:17:26 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
On 26/05/2017 10:42, tim... wrote:

[...]

C'mon, we all know they won't limit it, what they'll do is extract more money from folks that don't obey the not-really-limit.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news

"Phil L" writes:
[...]

Ye Gods.

The most likely scenario for a Govt to need to introduce energy rationing
would be as the event of some natural or man made calamity or disaster
which severely impacted on the power generation and distribution capability
of the UK. Along with much else besides quite possibly.

At the moment in the UK we have a situation where both media and public
go into headless chicken mode in the face of a threat which since the
year 2000 has managed to kill around 3.5 people per year.

Now whether in the face of the kind of calamity or natural disaster which would
require energy rationing, the first thought going most through people's minds
would be regret at not having bought a property capable of being
properly insulated, I very much doubt somehow.

All rationing is unfair. The more complex you make the criteria the more
scope there is for fiddling which penalises the honest. Food rationing
favours people with smaller builds with smaller appetites. Etc. etc. etc.

I'm not even claiming that in practice energy rationing of this kind could
ever be made to work. But from the point of view of a Govt which needs
to have contingency plans in place to meet all kinds scenarios,
unlikely though they might be, smart meters that offer the potential
for energy rationing on an individual basis are a plus, rather
than a minus.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2017 08:29:56 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

Ye Gods.

The most likely scenario for a Govt to need to introduce energy rationing
would be as the event of some natural or man made calamity or disaster
which severely impacted on the power generation and distribution capability
of the UK.

chuckle Like the introduction of renewable energy? :-)

It's nice to see I have at least one reader anyway.

It's noticeble that on this NG, the only reference to the record amount
of solar energy generated in the UK yesterday, or whenever it was,
was to a mistake in the headline.

Not that all I'm bitter and twisted about it.

michael adams

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" writes:

[...]

There will never be a need to ration electricity here. It's just another way to deliver less, charge more for it and saddle us with extra costs we have to pay ourselves (demand management hardware).

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ye Gods.

The most likely scenario for a Govt to need to introduce energy rationing
would be as the event of some natural or man made calamity or disaster
which severely impacted on the power generation and distribution capability
of the UK.

chuckle Like the introduction of renewable energy? :-)

+1000

--
But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Ye Gods.

The most likely scenario for a Govt to need to introduce energy rationing
would be as the event of some natural or man made calamity or disaster
which severely impacted on the power generation and distribution capability
of the UK.

chuckle Like the introduction of renewable energy? :-)

It's nice to see I have at least one reader anyway.

It's noticeble that on this NG, the only reference to the record amount
of solar energy generated in the UK yesterday, or whenever it was,
was to a mistake in the headline.

Not that all I'm bitter and twisted about it.

Well the more panels are installed the higher the peaks will be.
The more high in the sky the sun is, and the less clouds there are the
greater will be the peak output.

Its a total non event.

Totally overshadowed by the number of solar power companies that have
gone bust this year.

michael adams

Chris

--
But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!

Mary Wollstonecraft

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 26/05/2017 10:42, tim... wrote:

[...]

Rather like the Italian system, you get a special low price on an
installation limited to 5kW, go over that and the smart meter cuts the
supply so you need to reset it. If you want more than 5kW you pay a
higher tariff.
In practice that means in my Italian apartment the washing machine and
water heater can run concurrently but putting on the dishwasher at the
same time is likely (if all the heaters come on at the same time) to cut
the lot.

--
djc

(̿Ĺ̯̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote:

Rather like the Italian system, you get a special low price on an
installation limited to 5kW, go over that and the smart meter cuts the
supply so you need to reset it.

Sounds like a use for a battery bank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 May 2017 22:31:14 UTC+1, DJC wrote:
On 27/05/17 01:47, tabbypurr wrote:

C'mon, we all know they won't limit it, what they'll do is extract more money from folks that don't obey the not-really-limit.

Rather like the Italian system, you get a special low price on an
installation limited to 5kW, go over that and the smart meter cuts the
supply so you need to reset it. If you want more than 5kW you pay a
higher tariff.
In practice that means in my Italian apartment the washing machine and
water heater can run concurrently but putting on the dishwasher at the
same time is likely (if all the heaters come on at the same time) to cut
the lot.

I went & saw a flat that was on a 5A feed once.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/05/2017 10:42, tim... wrote:

[...]

France has a similar system. And to my personal knowledge has had at
least since 1990, but could be much longer.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 May 2017 08:44:44 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Ye Gods.

The most likely scenario for a Govt to need to introduce energy
rationing
would be as the event of some natural or man made calamity or disaster
which severely impacted on the power generation and distribution
capability
of the UK.

chuckle Like the introduction of renewable energy? :-)

It's nice to see I have at least one reader anyway.

It's noticeble that on this NG, the only reference to the record amount
of solar energy generated in the UK yesterday, or whenever it was,
was to a mistake in the headline.

Not that all I'm bitter and twisted about it.

Of course, what was not mentioned in the press, was that the record
high in solar energy was immediately followed by a record low,

seem most unlikely that some random day in May could be a record low, given
all of the dismal days that we have from November to February (and that's
before you take into account the difference in the length of the day)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

There will never be a need to ration electricity here.

Another self-styled "old fogey" who can't even remember the Three Day Week.

Heath even had the telly shut down at 10 p.m every night.

But then "Playschool" will have finished well before then and you'll have been safely
tucked up in bed with your teddy.

"Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. Your BA flight will depart from some
gate or other sometime next week, next week, next week".

It's just another way to deliver less, charge more for it and saddle us with extra
costs
we have to pay ourselves (demand management hardware).

Dear, dear, me. That's the job of the privatised utlity companies. Hadn't you
worked that out yet ?

The Govt's only role in this, is to set up totally toothless regulators who
occasionally fine them a couple of mill, i.e pocket money which is then trousered
by HMG, who write long reports which nobody reads and tell them not to do it
again.

michael adams

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/05/2017 10:57, michael adams wrote:
wrote in message

There will never be a need to ration electricity here.

Another self-styled "old fogey" who can't even remember the Three Day Week.

Heath even had the telly shut down at 10 p.m every night.

But then "Playschool" will have finished well before then and you'll have been safely
tucked up in bed with your teddy.

"Nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong. Your BA flight will depart from some
gate or other sometime next week, next week, next week".

As soon as it has received its "compliment of small, lemon-soaked paper
napkins for your comfort, refreshment, and hygiene during the flight."

SteveW